Relocation to Sligo

Old Mar 6th 2018, 6:17 pm
Forum Regular

jimbob66 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Relocation to Sligo

Hello,
I posted here about 18 months or so ago concerning a move from Argentina to Ireland. I'm British and my wife is Argentinian. We eventually opted for Spain, spent 10.5 months there before moving to the UK in late December.
Of course we were then hit with all the UK immigration stuff and given that at 65 I'm never going to make the £18,600 threshold, we looked at using EU law to bypass that. Quite frankly, it's a nightmare and we are really not coping in what really seems a hostile bureaucratic environment.
So thoughts have turned to our original plan, Ireland.
Initially we had thought of Letterkenny but having been on the coast, Sligo looks more favourable. But, once again, as 18 months ago, we have similar issues.
1. I noted a post suggesting that there was an income requirement for a non-EU spouse to live in Ireland? I had thought that as a British citizen, I and my wife were free from the Aliens Act and she could reside on the same basis as me. I assume she applies for the Irish residence card?
2. I will have my State Pension, so with the S1 should get access to the health system, for me at least. If needed, CSI will be obtained for my wife. I'll also have an occupational pension taking our income to the princely sum of about 19,000 euros pa. This is where it gets problematic from a practical basis. Are we going to be able to get rented accomm in Sligo, fully furnished with that income, no references in Ireland and without a huge deposit?

I have other questions but without clarification of the above, we cannot move forward.
My wife speaks fluent English, she is 50, has a degree I English Teaching and has taught that subject in Argentina for over 20 years. Of course, she could also teach Spanish if that was an option.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old Apr 11th 2018, 4:14 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Relocation to Sligo

Originally Posted by jimbob66
Hello,
I posted here about 18 months or so ago concerning a move from Argentina to Ireland. I'm British and my wife is Argentinian. We eventually opted for Spain, spent 10.5 months there before moving to the UK in late December.
Of course we were then hit with all the UK immigration stuff and given that at 65 I'm never going to make the £18,600 threshold, we looked at using EU law to bypass that. Quite frankly, it's a nightmare and we are really not coping in what really seems a hostile bureaucratic environment.
Initially we had thought of Letterkenny but having been on the coast, Sligo looks more favourable. But, once again, as 18 months ago, we have similar issues.
1. I noted a post suggesting that there was an income requirement for a non-EU spouse to live in Ireland? I had thought that as a British citizen, I and my wife were free from the Aliens Act and she could reside on the same basis as me. I assume she applies for the Irish residence card?
2. I will have my State Pension, so with the S1 should get access to the health system, for me at least. If needed, CSI will be obtained for my wife. I'll also have an occupational pension taking our income to the princely sum of about 19,000 euros pa. This is where it gets problematic from a practical basis. Are we going to be able to get rented accomm in Sligo, fully furnished with that income, no references in Ireland and without a huge deposit?

I have other questions but without clarification of the above, we cannot move forward.
My wife speaks fluent English, she is 50, has a degree I English Teaching and has taught that subject in Argentina for over 20 years. Of course, she could also teach Spanish if that was an option.

I can't answer your questions but I can tell you Sligo is lovely. We lived in North Mayo for a few months and used to cross over to Enniscrone, just up into Sligo. Lovely beach up there.

myhome.ie and daft.ie are the big websites for renting.
Old Apr 12th 2018, 8:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

chaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nice

Originally Posted by jimbob66
Hello,

I don't know the answers either. Perhaps consider posting on: www.immigrationboards.com.

Have you heard of the Sunrinder Singh route? Look it up on Google. You may be able to use this route to apply for a residence card for your wife under the EEA rules provided you were exercising treaty rights in Spain before returning to the UK.
Old Apr 12th 2018, 9:08 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

There's no income requirement if you are relying on EEA freedom of movement rights. Your wife will covered by your Form S1 for healthcare.
Old Aug 8th 2018, 11:34 pm
Just Joined

CelticCross is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes there is no income requirement for bringing Non EU spouse to Ireland using the EEA Freedom of Movement route. It's a matter of walking into the local Gardai HQ and presenting your Birth certificates, passports and marriage certificates.
Old Sep 4th 2018, 1:10 am
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
There's no income requirement if you are relying on EEA freedom of movement rights. Your wife will covered by your Form S1 for healthcare.
Would this also be true of an Irish person relocating their non-EU spouse to Ireland?
Old Sep 4th 2018, 7:49 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TrishP
Would this also be true of an Irish person relocating their non-EU spouse to Ireland?
Broadly speaking, yes.