Reload this Page >

Questions about moving to Ireland from the UK

Questions about moving to Ireland from the UK

Old Mar 20th 2007, 1:01 pm
Just Joined

faloola is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Questions about moving to Ireland from the UK

Hi all

Ive been trying to find info about moving to the republic of Ireland, and basically im just confusing myself, lol...

Both me and my partner would love to move to Ireland, preferably in the next few months...and also would be taking our cat. We were both born in the UK and lived here all our life.

Now from what i can gather as far as our cat is concerned, because we're travelling from the UK it'd be a case of putting her in her cat carrier and taking her over...is this right?

We'd be travelling by ferry, and at first we thought we could get a van to put our belongings in, then drive to the ferry port, catch a ferry, and then at the other end keep driving to our destination....but this is one of the things im having trouble finding out about, i need details on whether we need forms etc from customs, where to find them, how much it costs etc to get our things over...rules and regulations really.

Also, i dont have a passport, my partner does...we were thinking of going over and my partner getting his PPS number, then starting work, and i'd get my passport once i was over there, then get my PPS number etc...would that work? And what documents would i need to take on moving day to prove im from the UK when travelling over if i dont need a passport?

Plus im registered as self employed here, and im going to be looking into the details of all that side of things today, but if anybody has any info regarding carrying on with that over in Ireland id also be most grateful

It is a bit of a spur of the moment thing since we'd like to move there in a couple of months, but we're moving anyway, and thought, we've always wanted to live there...so if we can, why not?!

Thanks in advance
Old Mar 20th 2007, 1:51 pm
Forum Regular

cbeeb is just really nicecbeeb is just really nicecbeeb is just really nicecbeeb is just really nicecbeeb is just really nicecbeeb is just really nicecbeeb is just really nicecbeeb is just really nice
Default Re: Questions about moving to Ireland from the UK

Do not need passports to go from UK to ireland. Never been through a ferry port where they have asked for them. Yep bring the cat in a box and apply for pps #. Before we came permanently we came over for 4 days and applied for pps#. We came permanently 10 days later and our cards where in office waiting for us. We also had to go to tax office but i cannot remenber what for now.
Old Mar 20th 2007, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

BlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by faloola

Both me and my partner would love to move to Ireland, preferably in the next few months...and also would be taking our cat. We were both born in the UK and lived here all our life.

Now from what i can gather as far as our cat is concerned, because we're travelling from the UK it'd be a case of putting her in her cat carrier and taking her over...is this right?
yup! you may have to leave her in the van/onboard kennels during the crossing.

We'd be travelling by ferry, and at first we thought we could get a van to put our belongings in, then drive to the ferry port, catch a ferry, and then at the other end keep driving to our destination....but this is one of the things im having trouble finding out about, i need details on whether we need forms etc from customs, where to find them, how much it costs etc to get our things over...rules and regulations really.
try here http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories
as far as I know you can just pack the van and come over. If you hire a van tho you'll need to tell the rental company you plan to take it abroad..even though it's only Ireland.

Also, i dont have a passport, my partner does...we were thinking of going over and my partner getting his PPS number, then starting work, and i'd get my passport once i was over there, then get my PPS number etc...would that work? And what documents would i need to take on moving day to prove im from the UK when travelling over if i dont need a passport?
Apply for your own PPS number as soon as you get here, you won't be able to open a bank account, claim rent relief or any number of other things without it. It's easy to get.

On the subject of a passport you need to have it signed by a proffessional who has known you for two years, this might be easier to get while still in the UK.

You'll need photographic ID to open an bank account etc. Passport or full driving licence.

Plus im registered as self employed here, and im going to be looking into the details of all that side of things today, but if anybody has any info regarding carrying on with that over in Ireland id also be most grateful
www.cro.ie
www.revenue.ie

without knowing how your business is set up (sole trader/ltd company) it's hard to say but these two websites should get you started.

It is a bit of a spur of the moment thing since we'd like to move there in a couple of months, but we're moving anyway, and thought, we've always wanted to live there...so if we can, why not?!

Thanks in advance
why not, indeed! It's a fab country..similar enough to be familar and different enough to be exotic! Getting the paperwork sorted at this end can be a pest when you don't know what you're doing but it's a wonderful country to settle into.

If you're bringing kids, you'll need full birth certificates for them. Photo ID as mentioned above and that's all I can think of at the moment.

HTH and you have a brilliant life in Ireland.
Old Mar 20th 2007, 9:41 pm
Just Joined

faloola is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks to you both for the info and links I'll get right on with checking them out...

Lol, im so excited, i cant believe we only just thought of moving there now...

We're going to make a quick call to customs tomorrow just to double check that we can just pack up and come over...since most of our belongings are just books and clothes i cant see much of a problem, but better to be safe than sorry.

Do you know what Kilkenny is like by the way?

Oh, and no kids, just the two of us and a cat hehe
Old Mar 21st 2007, 10:46 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Make things simple for yourself - get a full British passport before you leave. Otherwise how on earth will you prove your citizenship on the many occasions that it will be necessary?
Old Mar 21st 2007, 2:16 pm
Forum Regular

cbeeb is just really nicecbeeb is just really nicecbeeb is just really nicecbeeb is just really nicecbeeb is just really nicecbeeb is just really nicecbeeb is just really nicecbeeb is just really nice

No need we get passports from british embassy in dublin, they are same price and are returned much quicker than passport offices in Uk. Ireland does ot make you give up UK citizenship and you can infact hold UK and irish passport(if you so wish) Until you are irish citizen you cannot vote to change constitution or in general elections. Can vote in local and EU(obviously)
We have been here 6 years and never found an urge to vote. Have been no General elections although one due in may.
Old Mar 21st 2007, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

Kilkenny is a great city. Overrun at weekend but very good nitelife
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 12:04 pm
Forum Regular

BlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cbeeb
No need we get passports from british embassy in dublin, they are same price and are returned much quicker than passport offices in Uk. Ireland does ot make you give up UK citizenship and you can infact hold UK and irish passport(if you so wish) Until you are irish citizen you cannot vote to change constitution or in general elections. Can vote in local and EU(obviously)
Fair enough, although my point was that to get a passport you need the application form signed/witnessed by someone "proffessional" who has known you for at least two years. If you've just moved to a country that's not going to be easy if you don't know anyone.

Thanks for the heads up about the embassy though, we need to get a passport renuwed and were thinking it would take eons.
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 5:02 pm
Just Joined

grumpy ray is an unknown quantity at this point

You may have already found out: there are no customs checks if you move from the UK to Ireland. We move out shortly. . There are also no restictions on taking pets from the UK to Ireland. In other words no 'pet passport' needed. We are taking 2 dogs and 2 cats in a camper van. The dogs will stay in the van with the cats who remain in a carrier in the vehicle. We managed to open an account with Bank of Ireland at Clifden, Galway branch with only passports and 2 recent utility bills as proof of ID. We may have been lucky at that branch. Obviously UK passports are essential.Good luck
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 11:40 am
Just Joined

scottie70 is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Questions about moving to Ireland from the UK

Hi all

Ive been trying to find info about moving to the republic of Ireland, and basically im just confusing myself, lol...

Thanks in advance
Most things have been answered already. Get your passport in the UK it IS cheaper. You will need your UK N.I number when getting your new PPS number and bring I.D.
Bring plenty of money coz you'll need it , and watch out for the drivers!!:curse:
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 5:46 am
Banned

waterlooo will become famous soon enough

You don't need a passport to travel between Britain and Ireland. However, airports, airlines and ferries require Photo ID, especially now. I would recommend organizing your passport before you go. Passport applications can take much longer that expected. For peace of mind, it may be better to get it before you go. Have fun over there!