Preventing boredom

Old Jul 13th 2007, 3:30 pm
adelelou

Default Preventing boredom

Hi all - I have been watching this site for some time now and found it very interesting. I was wondering what families do with teenage children? We have a 14 year old. Where are all the "Alton Towers" type of places, surely there is more to Ireland than castles etc? We are in UK at mo but my husband works in Leixlip and we are thinking of relocating.

Old Jul 14th 2007, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

chatterboxmoira has a spectacular aura aboutchatterboxmoira has a spectacular aura aboutchatterboxmoira has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Preventing boredom

Originally Posted by adelelou
Hi all - I have been watching this site for some time now and found it very interesting. I was wondering what families do with teenage children? We have a 14 year old. Where are all the "Alton Towers" type of places, surely there is more to Ireland than castles etc? We are in UK at mo but my husband works in Leixlip and we are thinking of relocating.
Hi,
Most kids are into sports. Each town and village has a GAA club. That's for hurling and Gaelic football. Many places have handball courts and clubs for athletics, rugby etc.

There are the usual places like cinema's, youth clubs in many towns. If you live rurally, you'll have to run them around to places as there's very little public transport.

I think there is a place that seems to be quite like Alton Towers somewhere down here in Co Cork, but don't know what it's called or where exactly it is. Try googling for it.

My nephew is 14 and is never in the house. Always out with his mates cycling or training for whichever sport or just playing handball. You'll find that once your child has made some friends boredom shouldn't be a problem.

Moira
Old Jul 17th 2007, 3:19 pm
adelelou

Thank you for taking time out to reply, you have been a great help.

My kids love sport so the GAA sounds great.

Lou

Old Jul 18th 2007, 4:21 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by adelelou
Thank you for taking time out to reply, you have been a great help.

My kids love sport so the GAA sounds great.

Lou
My mates kids really got into the GAA and settled very quickly, they moved to the Galway area. They all have lovely west Ireland accents now aswell.