Reload this Page >

New member considering move to Dublin

New member considering move to Dublin

Old Mar 16th 2011, 2:31 pm
Just Joined

johnnyk is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: New member considering move to Dublin

Originally Posted by Londonuck
Might not of been a bad thing mate. Its pretty grim over here.
As one door closes another opens - visa tips for Kuwait anyone?!
Old Mar 17th 2011, 12:41 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New member considering move to Dublin

Originally Posted by johnnyk
As one door closes another opens - visa tips for Kuwait anyone?!
You won't find much information online probably ... but perhaps ask in the Middle East part of the forum.

I wouldn't even think of bringing your wife to Kuwait unless she has a British passport, a. because in most gulf state countries, "western" foreigners are treated better than others, and b. if something happens to you, you need her to be able to bring your child back to the UK.
Old Apr 26th 2011, 3:18 pm
Just Joined

awayfromhove is an unknown quantity at this point

As an Englishman who lived in Ireland for 16 years I can give you the following advice.

Don't live on the Northside. There is still quite a bit of anti-english feeling in Ireland. You will find more of it in "working class" areas.

There are parts of Dublin that are pretty much no go areas if you have an English accent. In general you are better of in a "West-Brit" area. Look along the dart line and stick to the southside.
Old Nov 9th 2011, 12:22 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by awayfromhove
As an Englishman who lived in Ireland for 16 years I can give you the following advice.

Don't live on the Northside. There is still quite a bit of anti-english feeling in Ireland. You will find more of it in "working class" areas.

There are parts of Dublin that are pretty much no go areas if you have an English accent. In general you are better of in a "West-Brit" area. Look along the dart line and stick to the southside.
Thanks for the tip.

Another vacancy has just come up with this same company, so I'm on the look out again. Wife still not got British citizenship, holding out for my Xmas bonus to go towards it. Most likely look to rent in the north and commute, then move nearer to Dublin when she's got her passport sorted. Geographically Newry looked good, but my friend's put me off a bit. She's in Banbridge but that's around 1h20min commute! Any other suggestions? Anything else I should consider? Cheers
Old Nov 11th 2011, 12:00 am
Banned

Joe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to all

Thanks for the tip.

Another vacancy has just come up with this same company, so I'm on the look out again. Wife still not got British citizenship, holding out for my Xmas bonus to go towards it. Most likely look to rent in the north and commute, then move nearer to Dublin when she's got her passport sorted. Geographically Newry looked good, but my friend's put me off a bit. She's in Banbridge but that's around 1h20min commute! Any other suggestions? Anything else I should consider? Cheers
Hi johnnyk,
I would suggest you try Dundalk.
It is one hour by train to Connoly Station Dublin. It is also one hour drive by car on the M1 motorway. Banbridge and Newry are too far to commute to Dublin on a daily basis. If you are travelling weekdays and working office hours the traffic is too bad. It will wear you down trust me. There are many immigrants in Dundalk, so your Wife will feel more at home in Dundalk. Dundalk is more cosmopolitan and mixed than Newry or Banbridge. I hope this helps. Feel free to message me any questions.
Regards,
Sean MacMaghnuis
Old Nov 11th 2011, 6:32 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Sean MacMaghnuis
Hi johnnyk,
I would suggest you try Dundalk.
It is one hour by train to Connoly Station Dublin. It is also one hour drive by car on the M1 motorway. Banbridge and Newry are too far to commute to Dublin on a daily basis. If you are travelling weekdays and working office hours the traffic is too bad. It will wear you down trust me. There are many immigrants in Dundalk, so your Wife will feel more at home in Dundalk. Dundalk is more cosmopolitan and mixed than Newry or Banbridge. I hope this helps. Feel free to message me any questions.
Regards,
Sean MacMaghnuis
Great tips Sean will have a look. Have a great weekend. Regards, John

EDIT - Oops, I wrote too soon. Wrong side of the border. We'd need to be in NI until she gets her citizenship. Oh well.....

Last edited by johnnyk; Nov 11th 2011 at 6:35 am.
Old Nov 11th 2011, 12:41 pm
Banned

Joe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to all

Great tips Sean will have a look. Have a great weekend. Regards, John

EDIT - Oops, I wrote too soon. Wrong side of the border. We'd need to be in NI until she gets her citizenship. Oh well.....
Hi johnnyk,
your best option is to live as close to the border as you can then.
Newry is your best option. It is 1 hour 20 minutes by car or train to Dublin. In my experience if travelling at peak times; the train is better. When you look at fuel costs plus toles on the Motorways it actually works out cheaper by train.
There is a free bus service from Newry bus station to Newry train station.
I have used the train and find it to be a good reliable service. Living in Newry will give your girlfriend the benefit of staying within the UK. I know Newry well, so feel free to message me; and I will tell you the good and bad areas to live in. Rent.co.uk and Daft.co.uk are the best places to look for somewhere to rent in Newry. The local papers are no good for rentals in my experience.
On the positive side, the rent prices in Newry are cheap, and the shopping is very good. I hope this helps.
Here is another tip, if you do decide to drive from Newry to Dublin then buy a diesel car and fill up across the border in Omeath (not Newry). You will get cheaper diesel in Omeath (10 minutes drive from Newry). You can also pay in Sterling or Euro there so it makes it easy to fill up. You will save around £10 per tankful doing this which when you are driving 110 miles per day round trip you will notice the saving.
Regards,
Sean MacMaghnuis

Last edited by Joe-Soap; Nov 11th 2011 at 12:47 pm.
Old Nov 11th 2011, 1:00 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Sean MacMaghnuis
Hi johnnyk,
your best option is to live as close to the border as you can then.
Newry is your best option. It is 1 hour 20 minutes by car or train to Dublin. In my experience if travelling at peak times; the train is better. When you look at fuel costs plus toles on the Motorways it actually works out cheaper by train.
There is a free bus service from Newry bus station to Newry train station.
I have used the train and find it to be a good reliable service. Living in Newry will give your girlfriend the benefit of staying within the UK. I know Newry well, so feel free to message me; and I will tell you the good and bad areas to live in. Rent.co.uk and Daft.co.uk are the best places to look for somewhere to rent in Newry. The local papers are no good for rentals in my experience.
On the positive side, the rent prices in Newry are cheap, and the shopping is very good. I hope this helps.
Here is another tip, if you do decide to drive from Newry to Dublin then buy a diesel car and fill up across the border in Omeath (not Newry). You will get cheaper diesel in Omeath (10 minutes drive from Newry). You can also pay in Sterling or Euro there so it makes it easy to fill up. You will save around £10 per tankful doing this which when you are driving 110 miles per day round trip you will notice the saving.
Regards,
Sean MacMaghnuis
Hi Sean

Great feedback, thanks. I'll have a look into it and see how I get on. Have a great weekend.
Old Nov 11th 2011, 3:49 pm
Just Joined

Tommy6000009 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello. I'm currently living in Warrenpoint, which is next to Newry. It will take you around an hour and ten minutes to get to Dublin if you are driving. However Newry isn't a very nice place.

If you goto Ireland to live and work your wife can apply for an EEA family permit I believe, which is free. This will mean you can live in Dublin or somewhere close. However before you apply it means living and working there.
Old Nov 11th 2011, 5:03 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Tommy6000009
Hello. I'm currently living in Warrenpoint, which is next to Newry. It will take you around an hour and ten minutes to get to Dublin if you are driving. However Newry isn't a very nice place.

If you goto Ireland to live and work your wife can apply for an EEA family permit I believe, which is free. This will mean you can live in Dublin or somewhere close. However before you apply it means living and working there.
Hi

Thanks for your comments. I've been told Newry's not that great. Will have to look into the visa situation.

Cheers
Old Nov 11th 2011, 5:47 pm
Just Joined

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en...n_ireland.html

Looks promising, need to research more.....
Old Nov 11th 2011, 5:54 pm
Just Joined

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en...n_ireland.html

Looks promising, need to research more.....
http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Form%...Form%20EU1.pdf