Reload this Page >

New member considering move to Dublin

New member considering move to Dublin

Old Mar 4th 2011, 2:06 pm
Just Joined

johnnyk is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile New member considering move to Dublin

Hi

I'm a British citizen living and working in England considering a job offer to work permanently in Dublin.

I'd appreciate any tips on the following (I have to confirm my interest by Monday 7 March):

Tax, schools, healthcare

My wife is Thai and has a visa with leave to remain indefinitely in the UK. I assume she'd need to apply to the Irish authorities for the same? Any idea how long this takes? Our son is a British Citizen so would not need anything I assume.

My mother in law is on a 6 month family visit visa. Does anyone have any experience obtaining similar for Ireland? I had a quick look and could only see visas for 3 months max. Can we apply for her to live with us permanently?

We'd be looking for a rental property, any tips on good / bad areas around Dublin?

Thanks.
Old Mar 5th 2011, 9:28 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New member considering move to Dublin

Originally Posted by johnnyk
healthcare
hahahahahahaa

sorry

If i was moving to Dublin i would look to the SE of the city. From Ballsbridge (expensive) to Shankhill on Wicklow border. Inner city northside Dublin has a bit of bad rep.

Last edited by Londonuck; Mar 5th 2011 at 9:30 am.
Old Mar 5th 2011, 1:04 pm
Forum Regular

Horus has a spectacular aura aboutHorus has a spectacular aura aboutHorus has a spectacular aura about

Tax - high and getting higher - also depends on how much you earn.

Schools - OK but mainly run by the church

Healthcare - as Londonuk says! Be prepared to pay through the nose. It's a culture shock after the NHS no matter how bad you thought they were! Private healthcare is available and recommended if you can afford it - shop around there's three main suppliers. VHI, AVIVA and Quinn

Can't help you with the visa queries I'm afraid.

As for areas post up where you're looking at and we'll try to let you know (without upsetting anyone who might live there). It'll depend on how far out of town you want to go, lifestyle (city or country living) etc.
Old Mar 5th 2011, 5:43 pm
Just Joined

Cool Re: New member considering move to Dublin

Thanks Londonuck / Horus

Job is not too far from airport - St. Margarets

Looking for somewhere relatively central or with good transport to centre as wife wants to open a gift shop..... Having said that don't want to blow my salary on rent.

Have to check if private healthcare included in package as naively wasn't expected to go backwards from the NHS!

Taxes - compared to UK? Heard bits on news but it's only become relevant in last couple of days! Must pay more attention to current affairs!!

Visas are the main pain. Only just sorted UK really and then a good opportunity comes up and back to square 1 potentially! Seem to be some concessions for spouse of EU national, waiting for replies from authorities.

Any more tips welcome, in mean time will try to research more.....

Cheers
Old Mar 6th 2011, 2:41 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

My wife is Thai and has a visa with leave to remain indefinitely in the UK. I assume she'd need to apply to the Irish authorities for the same? Any idea how long this takes? Our son is a British Citizen so would not need anything I assume.
I'd really, really recommend your wife applies for British citizenship ... any reason why she has not done so?

The visa situation in Ireland is much more difficult (slow processing, ambiguous requirements) than in the UK and the pathway to citizenship much longer - 7 to 8 years at least. With a British passport she will have a much easier time.

I'd go so far as to say that she needs to stay in the UK until her British citizenship is completed, even if you spend time in Ireland beforehand.

I don't believe Ireland has any form of "parent visa" but then, does the UK have one? If that's important you need to discuss with an immigration solicitor.

Last edited by JAJ; Mar 6th 2011 at 2:44 am.
Old Mar 6th 2011, 9:18 am
Just Joined

Wink Re: New member considering move to Dublin

Originally Posted by JAJ
I'd really, really recommend your wife applies for British citizenship ... any reason why she has not done so?

The visa situation in Ireland is much more difficult (slow processing, ambiguous requirements) than in the UK and the pathway to citizenship much longer - 7 to 8 years at least. With a British passport she will have a much easier time.

I'd go so far as to say that she needs to stay in the UK until her British citizenship is completed, even if you spend time in Ireland beforehand.

I don't believe Ireland has any form of "parent visa" but then, does the UK have one? If that's important you need to discuss with an immigration solicitor.
She's just qualified having been in UK for 3 years. I thought there was a rquirement to remain in UK after receiving passport but can't find info yet. £780 for Brititsh passport may be expensive but as you say, cheaper than visa in long term and easier to travel generally. Will have a better look.

Parent visa - not as such. It's a Family Visitor visa in UK and can be 6 months or longer. Can't locate anything similar for Eire just yet but will keep looking.

Thanks for your advice
Old Mar 6th 2011, 12:57 pm
Just Joined

Any tips on buying / renting a car? Where is it cheaper to buy? Any problems re. registrations NI vs Eire?
Old Mar 6th 2011, 2:32 pm
Forum Regular

Horus has a spectacular aura aboutHorus has a spectacular aura aboutHorus has a spectacular aura about

If you already have a car bring it with you (check out the VRT for importing it).

If you don't have one you're best getting one here - I've heard used cars are much cheaper here these days and there's no VRT to pay on them. If you buy in the North you would (legally) still have to re-register in the South.

If you're looking for somewhere to rent near the airport Swords is OK, probably take you 20/25 mins to get to St Margrets. Otherwise you could look towards Tyrells Town, Finglas or Ballymun, however I would recommend Swords over the last 3.

Getting into town would be via bus or DART (train) but from Swords it would have to be bus (or bus to Malahide and then DART) until the Metro opens when and if they still build it.

What sort of gift shop are you thinking of as there's already a few in Dublin city centre and at most tourist sites?
Old Mar 6th 2011, 3:50 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

She's just qualified having been in UK for 3 years. I thought there was a rquirement to remain in UK after receiving passport but can't find info yet. £780 for Brititsh passport may be expensive but as you say, cheaper than visa in long term and easier to travel generally. Will have a better look.
If she is just qualified for naturalisation (3 yrs in UK), then go ahead and get it done. Applicants married to a British citizen are NOT required to intend to remain in the UK.

The cost of GBP780 (or whatever it is) is tiny considering the benefit of a. exempting your wife from Irish visa hassles, and b. ensuring she can always return to the UK with your son if something happens to you.

As far as I understand she will keep her Thai citizenship. Check with a moderator at http://www.immigrationboards.com who has a similar situation. But even if she would lose Thai citizenship, being a British citizen is probably a better choice.
Old Mar 6th 2011, 4:41 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Horus
If you already have a car bring it with you (check out the VRT for importing it).

If you don't have one you're best getting one here - I've heard used cars are much cheaper here these days and there's no VRT to pay on them. If you buy in the North you would (legally) still have to re-register in the South.

If you're looking for somewhere to rent near the airport Swords is OK, probably take you 20/25 mins to get to St Margrets. Otherwise you could look towards Tyrells Town, Finglas or Ballymun, however I would recommend Swords over the last 3.

Getting into town would be via bus or DART (train) but from Swords it would have to be bus (or bus to Malahide and then DART) until the Metro opens when and if they still build it.

What sort of gift shop are you thinking of as there's already a few in Dublin city centre and at most tourist sites?
Cheers Horus. Have company car at min so would have to buy or rent over there. Will have a look at Swords for rentals and the other areas for comparison.

Gift shop - bits from Asia, depends what's available so will do some research if / when we get there. Part of the attraction is the number of tourists but have to have something unique (I hope....)
Old Mar 6th 2011, 4:42 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JAJ
If she is just qualified for naturalisation (3 yrs in UK), then go ahead and get it done. Applicants married to a British citizen are NOT required to intend to remain in the UK.

The cost of GBP780 (or whatever it is) is tiny considering the benefit of a. exempting your wife from Irish visa hassles, and b. ensuring she can always return to the UK with your son if something happens to you.

As far as I understand she will keep her Thai citizenship. Check with a moderator at http://www.immigrationboards.com who has a similar situation. But even if she would lose Thai citizenship, being a British citizen is probably a better choice.
She'll apply for a UK passport at some stage but if this job is looking promising we'll sort it out asap.

Thanks
Old Mar 7th 2011, 1:29 am
JAJ
Retired

She'll apply for a UK passport at some stage but if this job is looking promising we'll sort it out asap.

Thanks
Naturalisation can take up to 6 months. It might be possible for her to complete the process after leaving the UK, although this is awkward ... and if she doesn't apply while still UK resident then that usually closes the option down.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/br.../waitingtimes/
Old Mar 7th 2011, 6:27 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JAJ
Naturalisation can take up to 6 months. It might be possible for her to complete the process after leaving the UK, although this is awkward ... and if she doesn't apply while still UK resident then that usually closes the option down.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/br.../waitingtimes/
Thanks for that. Can't believe it! Will sort this with the Mrs. as soon as possible!!
Old Mar 7th 2011, 7:00 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Any tips on buying / renting a car? Where is it cheaper to buy? Any problems re. registrations NI vs Eire?
My cousin works at this place. You can see some prices on their facebook site. Prices are half they were two/three years ago

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001637558722
Old Mar 7th 2011, 7:18 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Londonuck
My cousin works at this place. You can see some prices on their facebook site. Prices are half they were two/three years ago

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001637558722
Thanks for the tip - will have a look!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.