Reload this Page >

Just had a job offer from Dublin - Need some help/advice

Just had a job offer from Dublin - Need some help/advice

Old Sep 13th 2008, 10:56 am
Forum Regular

thedol is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Just had a job offer from Dublin - Need some help/advice

Hey guys,

I'm a 24 year old guy from London and am looking at taking a move around and two of my choices are USA and Ireland.

Now I've just had a job offer from a company - had the interview here in London and they want to take me on.

They are offering me £32k in terms of salary and they are based in Dublin,

11 Mespil Road, Dublin

What's it like in Dublin? In terms of apartments, going out, having fun, living costs etc....taking into consideration what my salary offer is

Also I don't drive so I'd need to find a place which is say walking distance pref. from Mespil Road...I'm a single guy and my side hobby is just going to the gym!

I don't need a lavish place or anything...

Any thoughts on this or help? And yes I love Irish girls

--

Like for example in London right now, I live with my family but I pay every month -

£500 - to rent/mortgage
£200 - transport
£600 - National insurance/tax
£20 - gym

That's my basic expenditure every month

Last edited by thedol; Sep 13th 2008 at 11:08 am.
Old Sep 13th 2008, 5:35 pm
Banned

jurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Just had a job offer from Dublin - Need some help/advice

Originally Posted by thedol
Hey guys,

I'm a 24 year old guy from London and am looking at taking a move around and two of my choices are USA and Ireland.

Now I've just had a job offer from a company - had the interview here in London and they want to take me on.

11 Mespil Road, Dublin

What's it like in Dublin? In terms of apartments, going out, having fun, living costs etc....taking into consideration what my salary offer is

Also I don't drive so I'd need to find a place which is say walking distance pref. from Mespil Road...I'm a single guy and my side hobby is just going to the gym!

--

Like for example in London right now, I live with my family but I pay every month -

£500 - to rent/mortgage
£200 - transport
£20 - gym

rent in ireland is not cheap , 2 bedroom apt on you own from 1000 euros two 1200 in the city
irish rail web site you see prices there if you used trains
very one in ireland would have privet insurance vhi quinn and so on
dont want to be on a waitting list here

jurdy
Old Sep 15th 2008, 8:37 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jurdyr
rent in ireland is not cheap , 2 bedroom apt on you own from 1000 euros two 1200 in the city
irish rail web site you see prices there if you used trains
very one in ireland would have privet insurance vhi quinn and so on
dont want to be on a waitting list here

jurdy
Transport is much cheaper than London. We're paying 1400 for a large 3 bed house. We paid 1000 for a one bed flat in SW London. Petrol slightly cheaper aswell. Dublin is an excellent place for fun. Restaurants are very expensive though. They dont seem to have much in the way of cheaper food. But then again the quality of food is excellent.
Old Sep 20th 2008, 12:04 am
Heading to WA

roamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really nice

Originally Posted by thedol
Hey guys,

11 Mespil Road, Dublin

--

£500 - to rent/mortgage
£200 - transport
£20 - gym

Is the wage you've given there in Euros or sterling? If sterling, then yes, it would be affordable. if Euros, then well, it's not impossible but difficult. €33k is the starting salary for teachers in Ireland, if that gives you any comparison...

You won't have council tax, but you may have to pay a small fee towards the bin collections fr your building in an apartment.

In Ireland the employer pays the bulk of your NI (or PRSI) co you might find you're taxed less.
Remember though that health care is not free.

Many people walk in Dublin. Many Dubs would do a 15 min walk over a 5 min bus ride.

For Messpil Road, you could get a short bus or bike ride to work from areas like Ranelagh and Rathmines. A little further is Donnybrook.
Sometime pricey areas, so most people get around it by renting 4 or 5 bed houses with a group, as it works out less per month each.

Check out www.daft.ie for ideas of rent in those areas.