Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Republic of Ireland
Reload this Page >

ADVICE ON HOLDING 2 PASSPORTS

ADVICE ON HOLDING 2 PASSPORTS

Old Sep 15th 2008, 2:03 pm
Just Joined

foxy1980 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ADVICE ON HOLDING 2 PASSPORTS

i was born in England and lived there til i was 12 when i moved to ireland, i have an irish passport and am thinking of getting a british one as i would like to get another year working holiday visa for australia, last time i was there i overstayed by a few months so i am wondering when applying for my british passport shall i just say i have lost my irish passport , otherwise i will have to send it to them and they will see i overstayed. if that is the case will they transfer information from my irish passport to my new english one
Old Sep 15th 2008, 4:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney, Australia, but home to EU in 2009 for good!
Mikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: ADVICE ON HOLDING 2 PASSPORTS

I have both Irish and British passports (and also Australian); you can have both no problem. Nothing from your Irish passport will be transferred to your British passport; they have nothing to do with each other. With the Australian immigration department you have ONE profile, regardless of how many passports you have, so they will know you have had a visa before and will also know that you have stayed.

The problem is you cannot apply for another 1 year working holiday visa using a different passport (it states that on the FAQ page of the Australia immigration website).

It’s a once in a life time visa per person, not per passport or nationality. Your only option to get a second year is if you had your visa after the new rules (which now allow you to apply for a second year) and you worked for at least 3 months fruit picking.

More info see: http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/work.../417/index.htm

Also keep in mind that when applying for the working holiday visa you are asked if you ever held one before, should you lie and get caught you will have committed fraud, be deported straight back if you arrive and you will have a 3 year exclusion (that’s if you don’t already have one from your last overstay).

Good luck.

Mikey
Old Sep 16th 2008, 2:41 pm
Just Joined

cheers mikey
what your saying makes good sense, i was just thinking that if i got a new passport from britian i would be a different person with the same name and date of birth, but i suppose it would come up on there system that i had dual nationality and had a visa before, and i dont really want to start lying on visa applications. i wonder could i get the second year visa, i have worked 3 months in regional oz and by the time i go back it will be over three years since i left, although the fact that i overstayed might be held against me
Old Sep 16th 2008, 3:10 pm
Just Joined

qwerta123 is an unknown quantity at this point

You may find this interesting..
Old Sep 16th 2008, 3:47 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by qwerta123
You may find this interesting..
That`s interesting to say the least. ;-)

Give it a miss foxy.
Old Sep 16th 2008, 5:04 pm
Banned

jurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jdr
That`s interesting to say the least. ;-)

Give it a miss foxy.
Irish passpot in Gaelic or Irish Gaelic. and uk passport then only have two profile then
should you lie and get caught you will have committed fraud, be deported straight and on the black list off the world usa no go then aswell
Old Sep 17th 2008, 10:00 am
Just Joined

thats my mind made up cheers for that
Old Sep 20th 2008, 10:55 am
Heading to WA

roamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really nice

Originally Posted by jurdyr
Irish passpot in Gaelic or Irish Gaelic. and uk passport then only have two profile then
should you lie and get caught you will have committed fraud, be deported straight and on the black list off the world usa no go then aswell
Huh?
We don't speak Gaelic in Ireland, that's Scotland. In Ireland it's Gaeilge and the language has nothing to do with the visa process or your passport profile. You don't have a different profile or passport if you're a Gaeilgoir.

But yes, it would do you badly for other countries too, to have a record of fraudulent visa applications.

Have you looked into going for sponsorship from an employer or going there to study?