Irish Passport

Old Dec 24th 2012, 11:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Irish Passport

Can you still get an Irish passport if your Grandparents were born in Ireland?
Old Dec 25th 2012, 9:12 am
Banned

Cuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Irish Passport

Originally Posted by RedDragon2008
It certainly hasn't stopped the Irish soccer team using the loophole to pick English players.

If one of your grandparents is an Irish citizen but none of your parents was born in Ireland, you may become an Irish citizen. You will need to have your birth registered in the Foreign Births Register.

If you are entitled to register, your Irish citizenship is effective from the date of registration. The Irish citizenship of successive generations may be maintained in this way by each generation ensuring their registration in the Foreign Births Register before the birth of the next generation.

Since 1 July 1986, a person registered in the Foreign Births Entry Book after 1986 is deemed to be an Irish citizen only from the date of his/her entry in the Register and not from the date of birth. This means that children born to that person before his/her date of entry in the Register are not entitled to citizenship.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en...r_descent.html
Old Dec 26th 2012, 7:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

I heard that it is more difficult now to get citizenship, but the system used to be that one grandparent born in Ireland (North or South) was enough.
Old Dec 27th 2012, 8:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Irish Passport

Perhaps you can help! Our first grandchild is due and all being well will be delivered in Cork next year. His mum and dad are British and carry UK passports. DIL has a grandmother who was born and is buried in CARRICK can she get an Irish passport and can the baby get an Irish passport from birth?
Old Dec 27th 2012, 8:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Quick google produced this

http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/Citizenship

Looks like the answer is NO.
As I said they tightened the requirements during the "Celtic Tiger Boom".
Old Dec 28th 2012, 3:35 pm
Forum Regular

brioche is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by John & Kath
Perhaps you can help! Our first grandchild is due and all being well will be delivered in Cork next year. His mum and dad are British and carry UK passports.... can the baby get an Irish passport from birth?
Since the child will be born in Ireland to British parents, yes:

http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/WP11000023

If either parent was born in the UK, the child will also be a British citizen from birth.

Also, independently of this—

DIL has a grandmother who was born and is buried in CARRICK can she get an Irish passport ... ?
You daughter-in-law can apply to become an Irish citizen through Foreign Births Regisration. Any children born outside Ireland after this is granted can be registered using the same procedure:

http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/WP11000024

Last edited by brioche; Dec 28th 2012 at 3:40 pm.
Old Dec 28th 2012, 4:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Irish Passport

Originally Posted by scot47
Quick google produced this

http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/Citizenship

Looks like the answer is NO.
As I said they tightened the requirements during the "Celtic Tiger Boom".
had a quick browse and it seems the baby can be a citizen from moment one but mum would have some time to wait. That suits just fine since mum and dad already have UK passports. Baby is due early July and we are hoping all being well they can come to stay in Spain for a couple of weeks in September so baby will need a passport early and getting a first UK passport for someone born overseas is not easy and takes time and may even involve a visit to a UK passport office or embassy. Thanks again for your help.
Old Jan 28th 2013, 1:47 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by John & Kath
had a quick browse and it seems the baby can be a citizen from moment one but mum would have some time to wait.
There is a processing time for Foreign Birth Registration (citizenship from grandparent). But if mother wants to become an Irish citizen, she should apply.

If they have been in Ireland for 5+ years, then the father can also apply for Irish citizenship by naturalisation.

That suits just fine since mum and dad already have UK passports. Baby is due early July and we are hoping all being well they can come to stay in Spain for a couple of weeks in September so baby will need a passport early and getting a first UK passport for someone born overseas is not easy and takes time and may even involve a visit to a UK passport office or embassy. Thanks again for your help.
It will be quickest (probably) to get an Irish passport for the child.
For the child's British passport, the best option is probably to travel to Belfast and apply for a passport as a visitor to the United Kingdom.
https://www.gov.uk/passport-applicat...le-visiting-uk

They will need to supply a U.K. address but this can be that of a friend/relative. If the passport is delivered to that address it can be sent by courier (not the postal service) to Ireland.
Old Jan 29th 2013, 12:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

uk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud of

So is it correct to assume that a British citizen and passport holder, who has a grand parent born in RoI then that British citizen can apply for Irish citizenship, by way of the Irish foreign birth register.

I am guessing that after a period ( how long ) one can also be entitled to an Irish passport.

vette
Old Feb 1st 2013, 1:08 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uk_vette
So is it correct to assume that a British citizen and passport holder, who has a grand parent born in RoI then that British citizen can apply for Irish citizenship, by way of the Irish foreign birth register.
That's correct, usually, as long as it can be evidenced and unless there are other special circumstances (eg diplomatic situation, or grandparent renounced citizenship). By the way, you can be a British citizen or any other citizen and the place of birth could also be Northern Ireland.

Never assume that citizenship will be granted until you have a registration document.

I am guessing that after a period ( how long ) one can also be entitled to an Irish passport.
As soon as you are registered as an Irish citizen.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 3:01 am
Banned

Joe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to all

Originally Posted by RedDragon2008
Yes.
Old May 21st 2013, 7:20 am
Just Joined

DDion is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I've been trawling the net to get some advice about my situation, if anybody has some info it would be greatly appreciated.

I'm sure I read somewhere about this once but don't know where.

I'll try to put this as simply as possible.

I am Australian as was my Father

My father had an Irish passport.

This would have passed down to me but they changed the law in 1986 to him having to claim his passport before I was born.

He claimed his after I was born but before (I think) they changed the law (1985 I think).

Now in this situation do I have the right to apply?

I'd really like to apply but don't want to waste 250 Euro on the application if it is not possible.

I'd like to know if it's possible. Then, if it is possible I'd like to be able to look up the date of his passport application to see if it was before 1986 to avoid wasting my money on the application fee.

My father has passed away so I can't confirm when he got his passport.

If anybody can actually follow this some advice would be hugely appreciated.

Cheers.
Old May 21st 2013, 8:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

My understanding is that one granparent born anywhere in ireland (Norfth or South) is sufficient to get nationality.
Old May 21st 2013, 8:39 am
Just Joined

DDion is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your response but I'm aware of this.

I don't have any grandparents born there.

My father got his through great-grandparents.

It is this point I need info on...

2. If the parent (the grandchild of the Irish born person) registered before the 30th June 1986 and the great-grandchild was born after 17 July 1956.

Taken from...

http://www.irishcentral.com/roots/Ho...118187334.html

Anybody?