Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Republic of Ireland
Reload this Page >

Is Ireland united only in racism?

Is Ireland united only in racism?

Old Aug 20th 2013, 10:18 am
Account Closed

sickntired is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is Ireland united only in racism?

Originally Posted by not2old
never say never - it could be sooner than that

A small populated country with a many sheep as there are humans has space for more of either ones. My suggestion is to increase the sheep population

An investment from China that'll employ one-million people (even 100,000) would quickly see folks from all over the map populate & pollute the place.

Keep Ireland the way it is for now so it doesn't attract attention, that way it'll remain a 'sleepy hollow', never to get spoiled. Its one of the last places that I have seen where the 'grass is truly greener'
I know I can't move much further West to escape. New York is the next bit of land, then I'd truly be up to my neck in the shitty stuff.
Old Aug 20th 2013, 10:49 am
Just Joined

Wild Goose Returns is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sickntired
I've been in Ireland 13 years now and there is no way I'd go back to any of those ghetto cities in the UK. You are right about the intolerant Muslims patrolling "their area". I just hope Ireland doesn't end up like it, but I suspect it will in another 20 years.
Peaceful Greetings
If I we do eventually decide to move to Ireland we will rent rather than buy.
This is not from any fear of racism. Most of the properties for sale at bargain basement prices have been owned by Irish families. Bought at a time of inflated house prices and lulled into a false sense of finacial security by the gombeen EU bankers system.
Some of these properties will have been repossessed others reluctantly sold on because of the general pressures of the gombeen usurers calling in their debt. The Irish people have long memories of the gombeen man, taking advantage of the brutal English absentee landlord system operated throughout the 26 counties of Ireland 140 years ago. Repossessions do not go down well in Ireland
We as Irish people are emotionally attached to the land. Believe me, the Irish are not as tolerent as the docile English who would not even defend their industries against Thatherite destruction. Rather than address the issues they ran away to Spain, ghettoized themselves, snubbed their Spanish hosts, and blamed the “WOGs” for taking their “jobs” away from them in the UK.
Rushing over to Ireland to buy up Paddy's homesteads while his back is to the wall, is the height of folly.
My sincere advice, rent if you can, buyer beware. This is very sound advice.
Old Aug 20th 2013, 11:21 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wild Goose Returns
Peaceful Greetings
Most of the properties for sale at bargain basement prices
Rushing over to Ireland to buy up Paddy's homesteads while his back is to the wall, is the height of folly.
so which part of Ireland are you planning on living, the type of accommodation that you'd rent & the rent you expect that you'd be paying?
Old Aug 20th 2013, 12:21 pm
Account Closed

IamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond repute

never say never - it could be sooner than that

A small populated country with a many sheep as there are humans has space for more of either ones. My suggestion is to increase the sheep population

An investment from China that'll employ one-million people (even 100,000) would quickly see folks from all over the map populate & pollute the place.

Keep Ireland the way it is for now so it doesn't attract attention, that way it'll remain a 'sleepy hollow', never to get spoiled. Its one of the last places that I have seen where the 'grass is truly greener'
Reminds me of a quote from Tommy Tiernan, "Ireland is our little secret"
Old Aug 20th 2013, 12:29 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IamStu
Reminds me of a quote from Tommy Tiernan, "Ireland is our little secret"
not too loud - folks may be looking, listening & watching.

A little pot of gold for sure along with McNamara's band rendition ..'if you're Irish' lah lah lah

http://www.irishsongs.com/lyrics.php...ew&Song_id=157

Do they still use lard in an Irish chippy for a fry up?

Last edited by not2old; Aug 20th 2013 at 12:33 pm.
Old Aug 20th 2013, 12:34 pm
Just Joined

so which part of Ireland are you planning on living, the type of accommodation that you'd rent & the rent you expect that you'd be paying?
Peaceful Greetings not2old

We had thought about West/North West coastal counties. We have made several other inquires as well as this forum. Renting would not be a problem for us, and if things did not go well we are not tied to a capital investment.

However, from what we have been able to discover from our investigations, and also the opinions and observations of contributors to this forum, (which have been advanced honestly), and have been very useful, my wife feels that the turmoil Ireland is experiencing at the moment is not something that she wants to wade into.

So our move to the West is now not so pressing. We have decided to review the situation in a year, with God's Will, to see if there is any movement on the economic front and any new legislative protection specifically aimed to address racism. Clearly, existing laws don't deter the widespread racist abuse in Ireland which is inexcusable, and indefensible.

Please forgive me if my posts have seemed provocative. This has never been my intention. I merely wanted to get a truthful picture of conditions from an angle that I could not get from a purely Irish audience.

I hope I have also been helpful to you in bringing the issue to light that everyone might consider the consequences of hate and hate fueled activities.

We'll be back hopefully in a year and discuss with you a decision to move West. Your forum is a gold mine of information. Keep up the good work. I thank you all very much for contributing to my thread.
Old Aug 20th 2013, 12:47 pm
Dichotomus tinker

Believe me, the Irish are not as tolerent as the docile English who would not even defend their industries against Thatherite destruction. Rather than address the issues they ran away to Spain, ghettoized themselves, snubbed their Spanish hosts, and blamed the “WOGs” for taking their “jobs” away from them in the UK.
I wonder

Please forgive me if my posts have seemed provocative. This has never been my intention. I merely wanted to get a truthful picture of conditions from an angle that I could not get from a purely Irish audience.

I hope I have also been helpful to you in bringing the issue to light that everyone might consider the consequences of hate and hate fueled activities.
I sort of put it down to human nature or is it just my impression its the 'whinging pom' syndrome that some Brits (or folks living in the UK) have about them, complaining about all that is wrong - never what is right, or in not having a solution to fix it & blame the scroungers, immigrants (or emigrants), work shy, the current & past governments with all the crooked politicians for all that it wrong.... whinge whinge whinge

A good rant now & then I can live with, but please ....

Live & let live & get on with your own life - make the changes that are best for you & your family, never mind what others do or think about you.

Last edited by not2old; Aug 20th 2013 at 1:56 pm. Reason: added more
Old Aug 20th 2013, 3:01 pm
Just Joined

Quote: Live & let live & get on with your own life - make the changes that are best for you & your family, never mind what others do or think about you.

Here! Here! I'll vote for that if everyone else does the same. I'll also vote for you, good mediator, peacemaker, chairman not2old. My very best regards
Old Aug 20th 2013, 3:05 pm
Account Closed

sickntired is an unknown quantity at this point

Peaceful Greetings
This is not from any fear of racism. Most of the properties for sale at bargain basement prices have been owned by Irish families. Bought at a time of inflated house prices and lulled into a false sense of finacial security by the gombeen EU bankers system.
Some of these properties will have been repossessed others reluctantly sold on because of the general pressures of the gombeen usurers calling in their debt. The Irish people have long memories of the gombeen man, taking advantage of the brutal English absentee landlord system operated throughout the 26 counties of Ireland 140 years ago. Repossessions do not go down well in Ireland
We as Irish people are emotionally attached to the land. Believe me, the Irish are not as tolerent as the docile English who would not even defend their industries against Thatherite destruction. Rather than address the issues they ran away to Spain, ghettoized themselves, snubbed their Spanish hosts, and blamed the “WOGs” for taking their “jobs” away from them in the UK.
"The Irish are not as tolerent as the docile English." Give me a break will you. After 5 years of austerity and cutbacks, job losses what are the Irish doing? Nothing, just moaning about politicians, bankers etc living the good life. People are being evicted, and a lot more will be this year as another law has been passed to make it easier for the banks to throw them out. I'm all right Jack, so I don't really give a shit about my neighbour is the attitude.
Old Aug 20th 2013, 3:26 pm
Dichotomus tinker

Quote: Live & let live & get on with your own life - make the changes that are best for you & your family, never mind what others do or think about you.

Here! Here! I'll vote for that if everyone else does the same.
The following is not intended to mock, ridicule or upset people, simply an observation from personal experience - so please be kind to this old fella.

In your opening post 'Wild Goose' you mentioned that you are Irish born, that you & your wife are muslims.

When you move to Ireland is it necessary for you to assimilate, be close to or with others of the same faith - do you need to have an islamic centre close to or within the area that you live, do you need to have shops that provide Halal foods?

Its a general observation that goes the part of 'if you don't look like a duck, walk like a duck or quack like a duck' then you may not readily be accepted to the community flock.

Someone from Birmingham or Liverpool with the thick brouge may have an accent not easily understandable in rural Ireland - would they be outsiders for ever and a day?

Sickntired our poster on here says he has been in Ireland for 13 years, has an Irish wife - question is, is he accepted as 'one of them' in Ireland?

My view having lived in several countries in my life for extended periods is that one from a different place is generally always an outsider - even me here in Toronto with my English (middle England) accent gets the strangest looks at times form locals who may be non white, non christian born in Canada of immigrants.

Once an immigrant - always an immigrant IMO & that goes for home grown Brits moving away from middle England or little Britain

I repeat 'live & let live' & too me it WOULD MAKE ZERO DIFFERENCE living in a cottage in rural Ireland or the densely populated downtown high-rise apartment/flat dwelling in multi-ethnic London or Toronto & that's because I can do it by blending in & without whinging about all that is wrong

Wild Goose me thinks that a move to Ireland you'd need to walk, talk & act like a local if you want to be one - not just saying 'I'm Irish born lad that has returned (thinking & speaking like an Englishman), accept me because of that'.

Last edited by not2old; Aug 20th 2013 at 3:58 pm. Reason: added some more comments
Old Aug 20th 2013, 5:36 pm
To the point.

goosegirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, I'm ready and willing to be accepted into where ever I live. My husband is Irish & Catholic, I'm English & A pagan! HA!!!! I've had 14 years of most of the jokes so nothing offends me!

Make of that if you will! I'm certainly not looking out for other pagans in Ireland, I haven't in England. In fact most of my friends are Christians, Catholics, atheists & the occasional spiritualist! I am choosing to live in Ireland for the peace & quiet, to have some land for my animals and to grow some veg, not for my faith or the people that follow it! Thats when "ghettos" start forming and other cultures get pushed out, as in Birmingham and other cities. This is highly dangerous and I really hope places Ireland doesn't go the same way as Birmingham, Bradford,London & other areas.
Old Aug 20th 2013, 7:38 pm
Dichotomus tinker

I suppose this thread may have run its course & trust that the OP's post #1 has been discussed & debated to the satisfaction of WildGoose.

As an outsider it was interesting for me to read the comments from middle England as well as from those that are living or who have lived in Ireland & to get the sense one can be an ex-pat just moving from mainland UK to the Republic.

Best wishes to you all in your quest to find Ireland as your home

I'm off this thread now
Old Aug 21st 2013, 1:32 pm
Just Joined

Peaceful Greetings to All,

You cannot close this thread not2old without me having the last word. I did not put to you the issues of racism/sectarianism/social exclusion in Ireland to be simply “controversial” or to “rant”. I admit to devils advocate and I hope you will pardon me for that. Of course I will accept all of you as brothers and sisters in humanity, no questions asked. As I'm sure the Irish people as a whole will accept you as well.

I am myself of Anglo-Irish background. I have lived most of my life in England and I find the that the majority of English people I have worked with, are on the whole tolerant and understanding (as a general rule). Apart from the "No Blacks, No Irish, No Dogs" era of the 1960's .

This is despite the establishment Media constantly bombarding the English people with ammunition to make them distrustful of "Others". There is indeed also an organized vociferous minority who consolidate this mistrust into pure hatred. This is also now happening in Ireland I fear.

As for Mr sickntired, I feel a great affection for him already despite his views. Why would he not “fit in”, in Ireland? May you all live long, be happy and prosper in Ireland.

The Almighty, whether You believe or not, created all Mankind. He did so that we may get to know each other and Marvel at the diversity of His Creation. If you take any other approach, misfortune conflict and misery rather than peace and harmony will ensue. Please beware of divisive actions that contribute to disharmony. While asking your opinions I was perhaps devils advocate. But only to draw attention to the dangers of a divided society. Division is a two edged sword, may God protect us from it. Amin

Yes, I too would like to have a wee corner in Ireland as a hobby farmer with an acre or two. But for the moment I feel that too many of my compatriots are not ready to accept Mankind kindly in their midst. This is a shame on us as a people regardless of the policies of the powers that be. Policies can be changed by good people but not broken societal cohesion.

You are going to live in Ireland. Please be ambassadors for social harmony, show by example if you can. Please don't contribute to division I pray.

That's it! I'm finished with this thread! I pray that God send Guidance to all in Ireland. Please take time to look at this lecture:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEor3AG9Fu8
Old Aug 21st 2013, 3:08 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

You cannot close this thread not2old without me having the last word. I did not put to you the issues of racism/sectarianism/social exclusion in Ireland to be simply “controversial” or to “rant”. I admit to devils advocate and I hope you will pardon me for that. Of course I will accept all of you as brothers and sisters in humanity, no questions asked. As I'm sure the Irish people as a whole will accept you as well.

I am myself of Anglo-Irish background. I have lived most of my life in England and I find the that the majority of English people I have worked with, are on the whole tolerant and understanding (as a general rule). Apart from the "No Blacks, No Irish, No Dogs" era of the 1960's .

This is despite the establishment Media constantly bombarding the English people with ammunition to make them distrustful of "Others". There is indeed also an organized vociferous minority who consolidate this mistrust into pure hatred. This is also now happening in Ireland I fear.

As for Mr sickntired, I feel a great affection for him already despite his views. Why would he not “fit in”, in Ireland? May you all live long, be happy and prosper in Ireland.

The Almighty, whether You believe or not, created all Mankind. He did so that we may get to know each other and Marvel at the diversity of His Creation. If you take any other approach, misfortune conflict and misery rather than peace and harmony will ensue. Please beware of divisive actions that contribute to disharmony. While asking your opinions I was perhaps devils advocate. But only to draw attention to the dangers of a divided society. Division is a two edged sword, may God protect us from it. Amin

Yes, I too would like to have a wee corner in Ireland as a hobby farmer with an acre or two. But for the moment I feel that too many of my compatriots are not ready to accept Mankind kindly in their midst. This is a shame on us as a people regardless of the policies of the powers that be. Policies can be changed by good people but not broken societal cohesion.

You are going to live in Ireland. Please be ambassadors for social harmony, show by example if you can. Please don't contribute to division I pray.

That's it! I'm finished with this thread! I pray that God send Guidance to all in Ireland. Please take time to look at this lecture:

Almighty, creation, marvel... ooh I'm so fed up with religion. Ireland's tried religion, it didn't go so well.
Old Aug 21st 2013, 6:28 pm
Dichotomus tinker

Yes, I too would like to have a wee corner in Ireland as a hobby farmer with an acre or two. But for the moment I feel that too many of my compatriots are not ready to accept mankind kindly in their midst.
Originally Posted by Londonuck
Almighty, creation, marvel... ooh I'm so fed up with religion. Ireland's tried religion, it didn't go so well.
someone please tell me that wasn't an oxymoron moment

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.