Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Republic of Ireland
Reload this Page >

Is Ireland united only in racism?

Is Ireland united only in racism?

Old Aug 15th 2013, 11:37 am
Just Joined

Wild Goose Returns is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is Ireland united only in racism?

Peaceful Greetings,

What I would like to know from your contributors, in their opinon, in their experience, through their non-Irish spectacles, if they percieve racial intolerance in the Republic as endemic as the media, polititicians and social engineering classes claim. Irish citizen. I would like to return to Ireland with my wife who is a British national, but not white European. Exposing my wife to racial abuse and possible physical attack is of greatest concern to me. Please share your thoughts honestly with me.
Old Aug 15th 2013, 1:56 pm
Account Closed

sickntired is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is Ireland united only in racism?

Originally Posted by Wild Goose Returns
Peaceful Greetings,

What I would like to know from your contributors, in their opinon, in their experience, through their non-Irish spectacles, if they percieve racial intolerance in the Republic as endemic as the media, polititicians and social engineering classes claim. Irish citizen. I would like to return to Ireland with my wife who is a British national, but not white European. Exposing my wife to racial abuse and possible physical attack is of greatest concern to me. Please share your thoughts honestly with me.
Things have become worse since the recession started. Romanian beggars everywhere, Nigerian scam men defrauding all and sundry. Not to mention the home bred scumbags thieving and general crookedness. We don't want this place turning into the UK it's bad enough without muslim ghettoes in every city.
Old Aug 15th 2013, 5:19 pm
Just Joined

Peaceful Greetings Sickntired thank you for your response
My enquirey only concerns the issue of racism and (I hate this brainless euphemistic term) "Islamophobia". I am Irish born, but I have spent 95% of my working life in England. I discovered your forum while looking for information on moving back to Ireland. The social problems we suffer in these Islands have a common cause as far as I can see. i.e. Deliberate Political Policy. This has been so certainly since the 1960s.
Almost daily Irish media reports and funded “social researchers” on this subject all tend to be uniform, (due, no doubt, to media ownership and the agenda of the people who really govern us all). They constantly remind us that Muslims are a fast growing community in Ireland. All other international guests appear not to be doing this, of course, or attention is not generally drawn to the fact. The implication being that, only Muslims in particular, constitute a “growing threat” in some way. Now this concerns me since both myself and my wife are Muslim.
While what you say about ghettoized areas in English cities is partly true. These areas are actually areas of ethnic concentration, where Pakistani, Bengledeshi or Somali etc. tend to establish themselves. While they share a comom faith, their congregating together is more cultural than religious. Just like we Irish used to dominate Kilburn in North London or Sparkhill in Birmingham – not because we were Catholic – but because we were Irish. I remember well in the 1960s working with Irish labourers in Birmingham who could not speak a word of English
In Ireland I believe you do not have this situation in the Irish Muslim community. The Muslim community is small but very diverse as I discovered when I prayed in Gallway Islamic community center. They are held together by their faith rather than ethnic or cultural origin.
Sickntired, I hope you are not telling me that the Muslim community in Ireland are also contributing to the general social delinquency and the crime wave.
Old Aug 15th 2013, 6:56 pm
Account Closed

Peaceful Greetings Sickntired thank you for your response
My enquirey only concerns the issue of racism and (I hate this brainless euphemistic term) "Islamophobia". I am Irish born, but I have spent 95% of my working life in England. I discovered your forum while looking for information on moving back to Ireland. The social problems we suffer in these Islands have a common cause as far as I can see. i.e. Deliberate Political Policy. This has been so certainly since the 1960s.
Almost daily Irish media reports and funded “social researchers” on this subject all tend to be uniform, (due, no doubt, to media ownership and the agenda of the people who really govern us all). They constantly remind us that Muslims are a fast growing community in Ireland. All other international guests appear not to be doing this, of course, or attention is not generally drawn to the fact. The implication being that, only Muslims in particular, constitute a “growing threat” in some way. Now this concerns me since both myself and my wife are Muslim.
While what you say about ghettoized areas in English cities is partly true. These areas are actually areas of ethnic concentration, where Pakistani, Bengledeshi or Somali etc. tend to establish themselves. While they share a comom faith, their congregating together is more cultural than religious. Just like we Irish used to dominate Kilburn in North London or Sparkhill in Birmingham – not because we were Catholic – but because we were Irish. I remember well in the 1960s working with Irish labourers in Birmingham who could not speak a word of English
In Ireland I believe you do not have this situation in the Irish Muslim community. The Muslim community is small but very diverse as I discovered when I prayed in Gallway Islamic community center. They are held together by their faith rather than ethnic or cultural origin.
Sickntired, I hope you are not telling me that the Muslim community in Ireland are also contributing to the general social delinquency and the crime wave.
The Muslim community in Ireland are not contributing social delinquency as you put it. But in two or three generations time when the young become disaffected with their lot, there will be problems as in the UK. Do you think it's acceptable for street patrols of "Sharia Police" telling non Muslims that this is a Muslim area and no drinking, unsuitable clothing or homosexuals are allowed in the area. I lived in Saudi for a while and if that's how Muslims treat women, other religions, homosexuality etc, then you can keep it there.
Old Aug 15th 2013, 7:51 pm
Just Joined

Peaceful greetings Sickntired.
I feel I should add, (though I did not really want to go down this road), that every nation in the EU has to abide by the laws of free movement of labour and capital. That is, in Ireland's case, move the capital out and the labour in.
The bankers encourage the accumulation of debt and then call in that debt. That's what a recession/depression is.
The mass movement of diverse cultures around the EU is designed to water down national independence and resistance to globalist policies everywhere by creating division. These decisions are taken by the same unseen financier elites and bureaucrats who have the national political representatives in their pockets.
The flood of immigrants into what ever capitalist and economically unequal class based nation will bring the inevitable problems for the host nation's ordinary people. Launching oneself at the immigrant is targeting the wrong enemy.
Meanwhile, the elite crooks invest where labour is cheapest, bring to market where prices are highest. They hope you will take the bait, fight in the street and leave them alone to cause untold mischief globally.
Abu
Old Aug 15th 2013, 10:31 pm
Just Joined

Peaceful greeting Sickntired
I left Ireland as a very young man. I always kept close to the Irish community in England. However, my contacts in the Republic have dwindled over the years. I no longer frequent Public houses. I left London in 2004, haven't worked in construction since 2007 and I'm now retired. My closest family from the 26 counties are scattered world wide. This is why I thought I would ask your forum about the extent of racism on the ground in Ireland.
I would still like to hear from other contributors their take on attitudes to ethnic minorities in Ireland as this may affect my decision to come back to Ireland.
As you ask about Saudi Arabia, I really do not want to go down the road of defending Saudi Arabia My objective is to get information about Ireland a country that apparently has changed considerably, some tell me for the worse.
However, I will take your bait. Saudi Arabia is a Kingdom and not an Islamic state. The Sauds were helped into power by the British Crown after WW1. At the same time the British and French were instrumental in overthrowing the Islamic State and removing the Kalifah in Turki. Setting up the Saudi Kingdom and the zionist state in Palestine insured that the Kilafah, if it arose again, would not have access to the three most holy sites in Islaam namely the Great Mosque in Mecca, the Prophet's(PBUH) Mosque in Madina and the Al Aqsa Mosque in Jerusalem.
So if you don't like Saudi Arabia, you Brits helped to put them in power. They are still the biggest ally of the West, after the Israelis in the Middle East. If you worked there you were happy enough to take their dosh.
The Kingdom interprets Islam its own way, Wahabism, which most Muslims do not accept. Particularly, womans rights which are actually protected, enshrined in Islamic law. Shariah is, basically, how every Muslim lives his daily life. Some laws in Saudi Arabia are unique to that Kingdom and are rejected by the main schools of Islamic thought.
Modest dress is part of Shariah, as it used to be in Christianity prior to WWII. If you look at photographs of women at the time if the Great Hunger in Ireland until the early 1920's you will see that Christian women and men dressed modestly and covered their private parts as a sign of chastity.
Nowadays, in England, a married couple walk down the street and I can see,( though I'm forbidden to look), all that the husband alone has a right to see. This is in your face all Summer and sometimes in the Winter as well - and its difficult to avoid.
As for the younger girl's attire, thirty years ago they would have been the envy of prostitutes. There is no part of their anatomy that is sacred
Alcohol we believe is the devils handy work. It encourages people to behave foolishly. Ask any chief constable in England and he will tell you, if he had his way he would ban the demon drink. It is the root of all anti-social behavior, crime and rape.
Sodomy is forbidden by all religions. It is an abominable act in the eyes of God the Almighty. It is a sinful and punishable act in Islamic law as it used to be in Christian England not so very long ago.
Islaam cannot be imposed on any people especially Christians and Jews. It would not matter if there were 10 generations of Muslims in Ireland, they would be Irish and like the youths here in England many are straying from their way of life and adopting the anti-social ways of the English. Islamic law and the Qu'ran forbids imposing Islaam by force.
The only way Ireland could become a Muslim country is if the Irish people as a nation embraced Islaam.
But a person can only become a Muslim by God's Will. If the Almighty Wills otherwise you will never be a Muslim
I would suggest that anyone interested in Islaam and what it really is, rather than ask me investigate Islaam in depth before condemnation. The media is definitely not the best place to start. I am not a scholar and this is not the best avenue for discussing such important issues both for the present and the future. Try 'Peace TV' on satellite. I don't have TV but I watch on the net sometimes. Google and it will take you to the official site and you can watch from there
I would really like to know more from you about racism, is it as bad as the reports make out. If so give me some examples. You do live there n'est pas?
Old Aug 16th 2013, 8:41 am
Account Closed

Peaceful greeting Sickntired
I left Ireland as a very young man. I always kept close to the Irish community in England. However, my contacts in the Republic have dwindled over the years. I no longer frequent Public houses. I left London in 2004, haven't worked in construction since 2007 and I'm now retired. My closest family from the 26 counties are scattered world wide. This is why I thought I would ask your forum about the extent of racism on the ground in Ireland.
I would still like to hear from other contributors their take on attitudes to ethnic minorities in Ireland as this may affect my decision to come back to Ireland.
As you ask about Saudi Arabia, I really do not want to go down the road of defending Saudi Arabia My objective is to get information about Ireland a country that apparently has changed considerably, some tell me for the worse.
However, I will take your bait. Saudi Arabia is a Kingdom and not an Islamic state. The Sauds were helped into power by the British Crown after WW1. At the same time the British and French were instrumental in overthrowing the Islamic State and removing the Kalifah in Turki. Setting up the Saudi Kingdom and the zionist state in Palestine insured that the Kilafah, if it arose again, would not have access to the three most holy sites in Islaam namely the Great Mosque in Mecca, the Prophet's(PBUH) Mosque in Madina and the Al Aqsa Mosque in Jerusalem.
So if you don't like Saudi Arabia, you Brits helped to put them in power. They are still the biggest ally of the West, after the Israelis in the Middle East. If you worked there you were happy enough to take their dosh.
The Kingdom interprets Islam its own way, Wahabism, which most Muslims do not accept. Particularly, womans rights which are actually protected, enshrined in Islamic law. Shariah is, basically, how every Muslim lives his daily life. Some laws in Saudi Arabia are unique to that Kingdom and are rejected by the main schools of Islamic thought.
Modest dress is part of Shariah, as it used to be in Christianity prior to WWII. If you look at photographs of women at the time if the Great Hunger in Ireland until the early 1920's you will see that Christian women and men dressed modestly and covered their private parts as a sign of chastity.
Nowadays, in England, a married couple walk down the street and I can see,( though I'm forbidden to look), all that the husband alone has a right to see. This is in your face all Summer and sometimes in the Winter as well - and its difficult to avoid.
As for the younger girl's attire, thirty years ago they would have been the envy of prostitutes. There is no part of their anatomy that is sacred
Alcohol we believe is the devils handy work. It encourages people to behave foolishly. Ask any chief constable in England and he will tell you, if he had his way he would ban the demon drink. It is the root of all anti-social behavior, crime and rape.
Sodomy is forbidden by all religions. It is an abominable act in the eyes of God the Almighty. It is a sinful and punishable act in Islamic law as it used to be in Christian England not so very long ago.
Islaam cannot be imposed on any people especially Christians and Jews. It would not matter if there were 10 generations of Muslims in Ireland, they would be Irish and like the youths here in England many are straying from their way of life and adopting the anti-social ways of the English. Islamic law and the Qu'ran forbids imposing Islaam by force.
The only way Ireland could become a Muslim country is if the Irish people as a nation embraced Islaam.
But a person can only become a Muslim by God's Will. If the Almighty Wills otherwise you will never be a Muslim
I would suggest that anyone interested in Islaam and what it really is, rather than ask me investigate Islaam in depth before condemnation. The media is definitely not the best place to start. I am not a scholar and this is not the best avenue for discussing such important issues both for the present and the future. Try 'Peace TV' on satellite. I don't have TV but I watch on the net sometimes. Google and it will take you to the official site and you can watch from there
I would really like to know more from you about racism, is it as bad as the reports make out. If so give me some examples. You do live there n'est pas?
I think the Irish resent Africans and Asians coming here for the sole purpose of getting a free handout at the expense of the taxpayer. Yes I have seen young gurriers calling blacks niggers and Asians pakis. A "chinky" woman was jostled by a gang of young ruffian girls the other week. These incidents mainly occur in Cities, as obviously that is where the majority of "foreigners" are. Have heard of GAA fans making monkey noises at a black player. I have seen a black man come into a pub down the town stared at, and made to feel unwelcome and uncomfortable and he was from England over for a wedding with his white relatives. In times of austerity when increased taxes, benefit cuts, lack of social housing is affecting people, the last thing you want to see are more perceived scroungers arriving demanding welfare money and housing.
Old Aug 16th 2013, 9:44 am
Forum Regular

terrygees366 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sickntired
I think the Irish resent Africans and Asians coming here for the sole purpose of getting a free handout at the expense of the taxpayer. Yes I have seen young gurriers calling blacks niggers and Asians pakis. A "chinky" woman was jostled by a gang of young ruffian girls the other week. These incidents mainly occur in Cities, as obviously that is where the majority of "foreigners" are. Have heard of GAA fans making monkey noises at a black player. I have seen a black man come into a pub down the town stared at, and made to feel unwelcome and uncomfortable and he was from England over for a wedding with his white relatives. In times of austerity when increased taxes, benefit cuts, lack of social housing is affecting people, the last thing you want to see are more perceived scroungers arriving demanding welfare money and housing.
So the working Irish have yet to develop a feeling of resentment towards their fellow countrymen who are on welfare?
Old Aug 16th 2013, 10:21 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by terrygees366
So the working Irish have yet to develop a feeling of resentment towards their fellow countrymen who are on welfare?
There's nearly a million people on one form of state benefit or the other. Almost every family has one or more member unemployed, on disability or pension or any number of various benefits. Ireland borrows 1 billion per month more than it brings in. We don't need more burden on the system, it can't take it.
Old Aug 16th 2013, 10:55 am
Forum Regular

terrygees366 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ireland borrows 1 billion per month more than it brings in.
A frightening statistic - replicated in Greece, Cyprus and Spain no doubt.

Obviously that level of borrowing is unsustainable.

Given Eire has a population of only four million it's difficult to see a way out.
Old Aug 16th 2013, 11:01 am
Just Joined

Peaceful Greetings Sickntired

Yes, it is not unreasonable that the people of a small nation like Ireland would feel resentment at the flood of foreign nationals who have no allegiance other than benefit tourism to their host nation. Your observations confirm what I have read and heard from others. However, I cannot imagine that all the foreign workers have this scrounging motive for coming to Ireland.

But if the Irish people showered that resentment you mention on their own political representatives, or removed them from office instead of voting for them, national control of borders and the economy could easily be secured.

Then the numbers of foreign nationals entering could be controlled and with rules that suited the Irish economy. But this is never going to happen while national sovereignty is held by a foreign superpower. It amazes me that the Irish fought an 800 year battle with the English to achieve the limited sovereignty they had over their national territory, only to hand it to an even worse governer.

That said, I hope that more rational councils will prevail in these times, because the Ireland I remember was poor, but an incredibly welcoming and hospitable place to be.The Irish people had pride in their national independence. No one was turned away from the doorstep.
Old Aug 17th 2013, 3:08 pm
Just Joined

Peaceful Greetings again Mr Sickntired.
I see from your posts you are based in Roscommon town. Roscommon is the 8/9 largest of the 26 counties and, I believe, the fifth least populated county in the island. It is one of the three areas we are contemplating moving to; the other two being Leitrim and Sligo. Failing that, Galway or Donegal.

I have never spent that much time in Co Roscommon but Like quite a few returners and British nationals, I am more inclined to the sticks than the town lifestyle.

I know that there are other difficulties associated with isolation and rural crime. I can handle these issues. Can't be worse than here in England. Unwelcome intruders with criminal intent (barring organized guerilla attacks), have to accept the consequences of their actions.

I come from the 'Black North' where sectarianism is immeasurably worse now than when I left there. So I'm looking around the West for a homestead.

I took my wife to Ireland for a grand tour of the West of Ireland during the boom years 2004 and during those two weeks I never received as much as a bad look.
My wife is a fine artist and immediately fell in love with the beauty of the West of Ireland, particularly the rugged Burren landscape. I saw many changes to local landscapes on that, my last visit to the 26 counties .

For example, the village of Doolin in Clare where I would go to play,(amateurish), sessions and listen to traditional music when visiting Ireland in the 1960s-70s was transformed, to my surprise, from two pubs and a scatter of stone cottages to sizeable modern holiday complex. Generally, I didn't observe any nastiness on the part of the people, I wasn't looking for any, but my wife picked up some “bad vibes” as they say which made her feel very uncomfortable during our holiday.

Can I ask you, if you can tell, from your observations, whether the rural population of Roscomnon are more likely or less likely to take kindly to my wife not being white. She remembers having to put up with a lot of physical and verbal abuse during her school years here in England. She recoils at the very thought of having to put up with those sort of circumstances ever again.
I can survive living in a hostile environment. Had to growing up. Also when I first went to England. But I don't think my wife could stomach a significant level of intolerance.
I thank you very much for taking the time to reply to my post. I appreciate very much your comments, observations and honesty.
Old Aug 17th 2013, 5:41 pm
Account Closed

Peaceful Greetings again Mr Sickntired.
I see from your posts you are based in Roscommon town. Roscommon is the 8/9 largest of the 26 counties and, I believe, the fifth least populated county in the island. It is one of the three areas we are contemplating moving to; the other two being Leitrim and Sligo. Failing that, Galway or Donegal.

I have never spent that much time in Co Roscommon but Like quite a few returners and British nationals, I am more inclined to the sticks than the town lifestyle.

I know that there are other difficulties associated with isolation and rural crime. I can handle these issues. Can't be worse than here in England. Unwelcome intruders with criminal intent (barring organized guerilla attacks), have to accept the consequences of their actions.

I come from the 'Black North' where sectarianism is immeasurably worse now than when I left there. So I'm looking around the West for a homestead.

I took my wife to Ireland for a grand tour of the West of Ireland during the boom years 2004 and during those two weeks I never received as much as a bad look.
My wife is a fine artist and immediately fell in love with the beauty of the West of Ireland, particularly the rugged Burren landscape. I saw many changes to local landscapes on that, my last visit to the 26 counties .

For example, the village of Doolin in Clare where I would go to play,(amateurish), sessions and listen to traditional music when visiting Ireland in the 1960s-70s was transformed, to my surprise, from two pubs and a scatter of stone cottages to sizeable modern holiday complex. Generally, I didn't observe any nastiness on the part of the people, I wasn't looking for any, but my wife picked up some “bad vibes” as they say which made her feel very uncomfortable during our holiday.

Can I ask you, if you can tell, from your observations, whether the rural population of Roscomnon are more likely or less likely to take kindly to my wife not being white. She remembers having to put up with a lot of physical and verbal abuse during her school years here in England. She recoils at the very thought of having to put up with those sort of circumstances ever again.
I can survive living in a hostile environment. Had to growing up. Also when I first went to England. But I don't think my wife could stomach a significant level of intolerance.
I thank you very much for taking the time to reply to my post. I appreciate very much your comments, observations and honesty.
Hi WGR, firstly Roscommon Town and County is relatively crime free. If you buy a house in a rural area you will not be broken into. The neighbours are nosey if you let them be, it's up to you the level of interaction with them. I remain fairly aloof with immediate neighbours, only on waiving terms. But rest assured they know all about me. We will all stick together if any knackers come on the mooch.

I have had to think about your question as to whether your wife will be treated differently by being black (sorry you said not white,so I'm assuming black). The simple truth is that from my experience, and I know three fellas with foreign(Thai, African) wives, is that as long as you're not on the scrounge, and they are genuine marriages, I don't think she would have any problem at all. I have been in Roscommon 8 years now and don't have much interaction with the Townland people where I live, but have good friends further afield. I feel you will fit in with the arty types in the town(no disrespect intended). I think you should keep the religious views to yourself initially as I did (atheist).

regards,

Steve
Old Aug 18th 2013, 12:53 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Peaceful Greetings,

What I would like to know from your contributors, in their opinion, in their experience, through their non-Irish spectacles. Irish citizen. I would like to return to Ireland with my wife who is a British national, but not white European. Exposing my wife to racial abuse and possible physical attack is of greatest concern to me. Please share your thoughts honestly with me.
why not go to Ireland for a visit, stay a few weeks & see for yourself you may be pleasantly surprised.

Things can change a lot in 9 years no matter where you are from or where you go to or was there last. Rather than asking folks the first question post 1 - might it be better for you to both go over for first hand experience?
Old Aug 18th 2013, 1:19 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by not2old
why not go to Ireland for a visit, stay a few weeks & see for yourself you may be pleasantly surprised.

Things can change a lot in 9 years no matter where you are from or where you go to or was there last. Rather than asking folks the first question post 1 - might it be better for you to both go over for first hand experience?
Peaceful Greetings not2old

Nothing will keep us away. Will be over there soon as we organize our affairs God willing. Only asking questions, (part of our reconnaissance), cause we can't be on the ground just yet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.