Couple of Questions

Old Jul 24th 2014, 10:34 pm
Forum Regular

Nelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really nice
Default Couple of Questions

Hi guys, I'm currently in the early stages of information gathering for a move to Ireland, most likely Dublin. Fired off my CV to a number of places last night and will be sending out more shortly.

Anyway, I have been looking at the requirements for getting a PPS number, and realise that I need to be in country to get myself setup with one. My mother is Irish, and I am an Irish Citizen myself with an Irish passport, but I'm not clear from reading on the website, am i still required to bring along some form of Birth Certificate to get a PPS number?

Also, are there any banks in Ireland that are amenable to allowing an Irish citizen living abroad to open an account abroad, or do you need to be in country for this? Does anyone have any experience with this that they can maybe offer, or should I just phone a number of them?

Thanks for any input guys!!
Old Jul 25th 2014, 12:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Couple of Questions

Originally Posted by Nelson1805
Hi guys, I'm currently in the early stages of information gathering for a move to Ireland, most likely Dublin. Fired off my CV to a number of places last night and will be sending out more shortly.

Anyway, I have been looking at the requirements for getting a PPS number, and realise that I need to be in country to get myself setup with one. My mother is Irish, and I am an Irish Citizen myself with an Irish passport, but I'm not clear from reading on the website, am i still required to bring along some form of Birth Certificate to get a PPS number?

Also, are there any banks in Ireland that are amenable to allowing an Irish citizen living abroad to open an account abroad, or do you need to be in country for this? Does anyone have any experience with this that they can maybe offer, or should I just phone a number of them?

Thanks for any input guys!!
You might find this helpful.
Personal Public Service Number
Old Jul 25th 2014, 3:03 pm
Forum Regular

Nelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really nice

Thanks for that Moses.

Another question: I have a car on a three year PCP agreement, but I have about 10 months left on the deal, having it over two and a bit years already. Would it be possible to bring a car over to Ireland in this way if there are still payments to make? Or would it be easier to own it outright before going....or hand it back at some point instead.

Thanks again!
Old Jul 25th 2014, 8:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that Moses.

Another question: I have a car on a three year PCP agreement, but I have about 10 months left on the deal, having it over two and a bit years already. Would it be possible to bring a car over to Ireland in this way if there are still payments to make? Or would it be easier to own it outright before going....or hand it back at some point instead.

Thanks again!
I think it's illegal to take a car abroad if you don't own it, so you'd better ask the finance company if there's an option.
Old Jul 26th 2014, 9:47 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

It's not clear but does it really matter, since presumably you have one. Are you seriously thinking of moving to another country without your birth certificate? And by the way, if you don't have one with parents names, get it now. So called "short form" birth certificates are essentially useless for official purposes.

Most banks, everywhere, do not really want to deal with non-residents. At least, not at a retail level, for a variety of reasons. If you were visiting Ireland anyway you might be able to open an account if you presented your passport and proof of your current (U.K.) address, but your chances will likely vary between one branch and another. Even branches of the same bank.
Old Jul 30th 2014, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

molly1664 is an unknown quantity at this point

We are still resident in the UK but have our PPS number and a current account with Bank of Ireland. Both really easy, office in Carrick on Shannon emailed me the forms for the PPS numbers. Completed them posted them back and 6 weeks later our numbers arrived. BOI will let you open an account from the UK but we popped into a branch whilst on one of our trips over and it was all sorted within 30mins. By the time we got home our debit cards had arrived. We did need ID and I think a UK utility bill