Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Republic of Ireland
Reload this Page >

Bricklayer desp. seeking work!

Bricklayer desp. seeking work!

Old Jul 7th 2008, 7:55 pm
Just Joined

Rossiters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bricklayer desp. seeking work!

In the UK things are very bad at present. In West-Sussex alone, I know of two companies laying off over 200 guys in last fortnight! So.... seeing as I`ve sold my house-no backing down now? Eh
So my concern is this,are things as bad as that in ROI?
Which areas are still building/developing?
Have tried looking on a few web-sites-not a lot out there?

Has any-one any advice on how to find work out there? As I`ve no contacts out there,and rather not walk onto every site in Ireland asking-` Hiya are ya hiring trowels'? Thanks.
Old Jul 9th 2008, 6:51 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bricklayer desp. seeking work!

Originally Posted by Rossiters
Has any-one any advice on how to find work out there? As I`ve no contacts out there,and rather not walk onto every site in Ireland asking-` Hiya are ya hiring trowels'? Thanks.
You might have to It is bad according to my family who are in the trade. Although they also say that a lot of the Polish workers are heading to the UK now so that might open up a few doors. I'm in New Zealand and there was an article in the Herald here today about Spain and Ireland suffering the most from the building downturn. The thing to remember is that it's a cycle so what goes down has to come up again - if you can get something to tide you over through the tough times then you'll be well placed for the good ones. There is ALWAYS work for someone who is willing to do anything to put a crust on the table. I had this conversation back in the early 80s when things really were bad and my classmates in secretarial college were convinced there was no work. I walked 6 miles home one evening in Dublin dropping my CV into every business along the way and got up early the next morning and did the same thing in reverse. I got a job out of it. Just be determined (and friendly). It probably won't be easy but it might be though - you never can tell until you try.

I can't remember - did you say you were going to Wexford? If so, Dublin is a (long) doable commute. Good luck.
Old Jul 10th 2008, 2:08 pm
Forum Regular

dryroasted is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rossiters
In the UK things are very bad at present. In West-Sussex alone, I know of two companies laying off over 200 guys in last fortnight! So.... seeing as I`ve sold my house-no backing down now? Eh
So my concern is this,are things as bad as that in ROI?
Which areas are still building/developing?
Have tried looking on a few web-sites-not a lot out there?

aye up mate, my old man is in the trade he's a housebuilder in ireland and i can tell you this.......its brutally bad right now!! i am not saying there isnt much work but i will tell you this it will be a bag of nails when you get here with no contacts....i think there probably wud be more work in the uk than in ireland right now, development wise there wont be much going on and there are more empty houses than people right now in ireland, the construction industry is not good in a nutshell.
Old Jul 10th 2008, 5:29 pm
Banned

jurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of light

construction industry has come to a stand still here in Ireland , and across the EU aswell
what about londaon for 2012 thought lot off jobs going there
Old Jul 10th 2008, 5:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jurdyr
construction industry has come to a stand still here in Ireland , and across the EU aswell
what about londaon for 2012 thought lot off jobs going there
its all been sewn up and work around the stratford area is well under way apparently, alot of poles working for sod all and thats wot u have to compete with now, unless u fancy working on the new underground
Old Jul 10th 2008, 8:48 pm
Banned

jurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by dryroasted
its all been sewn up and work around the stratford area is well under way apparently, alot of poles working for sod all and thats wot u have to compete with now, unless u fancy working on the new underground
what new under ground ?

thay keep shutting the Dublin Port Tunnel what ouhter tennel be like
put a dart throught it ? lol
o there bifo from Offaly tell the whole place to not spend money and the there going to cut back all spending in ireland
o the power comany ESB ie ) want put up price again on power , here we go again

Last edited by jurdyr; Jul 10th 2008 at 8:53 pm.
Old Jul 11th 2008, 10:11 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jurdyr
what new under ground ?

thay keep shutting the Dublin Port Tunnel what ouhter tennel be like
put a dart throught it ? lol
o there bifo from Offaly tell the whole place to not spend money and the there going to cut back all spending in ireland
o the power comany ESB ie ) want put up price again on power , here we go again
im on about olympic village in london, the tunnel in dublin is good but crap and i know everything has gone through the roof
Old Jul 12th 2008, 7:25 pm
Heading to WA

roamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really nice

Have you considered looking in Glasgow? The developments have started for the 2014 Commonwealth Games and there is plenty of home building going on here in anticpation of the games.

The housing downturn, so far, has not hit as hard here and some parts of Scotland are still seeing house prices rise slowly.
Old Jul 13th 2008, 12:32 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Batty
You might have to It is bad according to my family who are in the trade. Although they also say that a lot of the Polish workers are heading to the UK now so that might open up a few doors. I'm in New Zealand and there was an article in the Herald here today about Spain and Ireland suffering the most from the building downturn. The thing to remember is that it's a cycle so what goes down has to come up again - if you can get something to tide you over through the tough times then you'll be well placed for the good ones. There is ALWAYS work for someone who is willing to do anything to put a crust on the table. I had this conversation back in the early 80s when things really were bad and my classmates in secretarial college were convinced there was no work. I walked 6 miles home one evening in Dublin dropping my CV into every business along the way and got up early the next morning and did the same thing in reverse. I got a job out of it. Just be determined (and friendly). It probably won't be easy but it might be though - you never can tell until you try.

I can't remember - did you say you were going to Wexford? If so, Dublin is a (long) doable commute. Good luck.
Thanks Batty- the Poles are leaving here too! Ah well! I`ll fill the car with gas,put my work-boots on and off we go? `Cos my minds made up,Ireland it is-Just got to make it work? Cant be as bad,depressing as UK? Thanks for ya help,all the best to ya.
Old Jul 13th 2008, 12:38 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dryroasted
aye up mate, my old man is in the trade he's a housebuilder in ireland and i can tell you this.......its brutally bad right now!! i am not saying there isnt much work but i will tell you this it will be a bag of nails when you get here with no contacts....i think there probably wud be more work in the uk than in ireland right now, development wise there wont be much going on and there are more empty houses than people right now in ireland, the construction industry is not good in a nutshell.
Ah well! Looks like the boys will be taking up a paper-round/car-washing jobs? And the wife will have to? Yes, heard its that bad there, BUT..... I think with over 6000 jobs gone in building in the south,so far(here)! and now with near to 300+ brickies locally all looking for work-I`ll think I`ll take me chances here(Ireland)! Is it true the Poles are leaving? If so, I`ll work for the same hours/money-all the best,thanks for ya reply.
Old Jul 20th 2008, 3:48 pm
Just Joined

tojo10 is an unknown quantity at this point

Best of luck Rossiters - I've been reading your progress.

Let us know on the site how you get on.

We're still up for sale but hope to be joining you soon!
Old Jul 20th 2008, 4:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tojo10
Best of luck Rossiters - I've been reading your progress.

Let us know on the site how you get on.

We're still up for sale but hope to be joining you soon!
i wud think twice about coming to ireland just yet, 30k builders were let go on friday before the construction holidays.....and the poles were working for peanuts here, minimum wage stuff........if u decide to cum to ireland to work, think about working for yourself doing refurbs, drives, home improvements there is a market here for that, other than that house and factory building has ground to a halt, keep in touch and ask if u need anything.