Water in Sicily

Old May 22nd 2002, 9:20 pm
Dean

Default Water in Sicily

I just read where the Italian government declared a state of emergency in Sicily due
to water problems. Does anyone know anything else about it? I'll be there in a
week...Thanks

Old May 22nd 2002, 10:21 pm
Bill Hunt / Jen

Default Re: Water in Sicily

I travelled throughout southern Italy in 2000, and Sicily was the only place where I
wouldn't drink tap water. It was yellow and a little smelly. The explanation given
was that local "politics" has played havoc on infrastructure.

As an aside, I want to express my admiration for this group! Your zest for travel and
adventure, and willingness to offer advice is wonderful. I read almost every thread,
its addictive.

"dean" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > I just read where the Italian government declared a state of emergency in Sicily
    > due to water problems. Does anyone know anything else about it? I'll be there in a
    > week...Thanks

Old May 22nd 2002, 10:21 pm
Goerz

"Bill Hunt / Jennifer Budden" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel
messaggio news:[email protected]...
    > I travelled throughout southern Italy in 2000, and Sicily was the only
place
    > where I wouldn't drink tap water. It was yellow and a little smelly. The
    > explanation given was that local "politics" has played havoc on infrastructure.

In Sicily in the summer (and right now too) running water is available only for a few
hours a day (in some cities it's even scarcer). People have large water tanks on
their roofs which are filled when there is running water and used for the rest of the
day. While running water is ok for drinking, tank water is not. If you can't
tell/know the difference, it's safer not drinking tap water in Sicily during the
summer. Regards, Goerz

Old May 23rd 2002, 5:48 am
Just Joined

dodin is an unknown quantity at this point

Sicily is a large island, with plenty of water in the subsoil. Unfortunately, in some places there has always been lack of water (or pipeline?). We are a French Italian couple, we run in SICILY: a SCIACCA TERME
in the middle of the ancient Greek temples itinerary our Self-catering accommodation in a nursery of tropical plants.
http://verdetecnica.tripod.com
Old May 25th 2002, 3:20 am
Mister Max

[email protected] (dean) wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> I just read where the Italian government declared a state of emergency in Sicily
    > due to water problems. Does anyone know anything else about it? I'll be there in a
    > week...Thanks

There's a major shortage in some places, notably in Palermo where last week our
hotel was dry all one day and the political parties are campaigning on promises to
"stop the water jugs." The TV showed somebody putting a washpan in his bathroom
sink, pouring a little water in it, and washing his hands. But nearby reservoirs
were full???

On Lipari island in the Aeoleans, I saw a notice that their water is imported from
Naples by tanker.

Everybody drinks bottled water - there must be dozens of brands.

--
Max Buten Slideshows of Angkor Wat (new), Bali, Crete, Maui, Malaysia, Morocco, St
Tropez, Thailand (new), Tour de France: http://buten.net/max/ (Yes,RemoveDoubles is
part of my email address. The double letters in my last name are not.)

Old May 26th 2002, 7:22 am
D

I was there a week ago. Plenty of water in all the hotels we stayed in (Noto - south
of Siracusa; Agrigento; and Castellammare del Golfo). In Noto, the hotel had a sign
saying the water was non-potable, so we drank bottled water there. Elsewhere, we used
tap water for brushing teeth, etc. We did see reports on the local news about water
problems, but had no troubles whatsoever. Maybe in palermo (which we skipped).

I wouldn't worry much about it.

Hope that helps.

dean wrote:

> week...Thanks