Go Back  British Expats > Usenet Groups > rec.travel.* > rec.travel.europe
Reload this Page >

V. weird: HERTZ rent a car in europe question

V. weird: HERTZ rent a car in europe question

Old Apr 18th 2002, 3:20 am
Roz

Default V. weird: HERTZ rent a car in europe question

Has anyone noticed/used/booked through their new website? I've tried some quotes for
a 4-week rental in germany and got different results when I entered (by accident)
diffrent country of residency. For example if I were German, or Polish I'd pay 60-75%
less for the same car than if I were (and I am) a Canadian. I phoned customer reps
here in Canada but they have no answer, in fact they don't believe me that there's a
different price based on country of residence, their systems apparenmtly show only
canadian rates. Examples: Canadian pays 213 Euro per week; a German pays 97 Euro per
week; a Pole pays 54 Euro per week for a Compact Manual with Air. Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance.

Old Apr 18th 2002, 3:50 am
Devil

Default Re: V. weird: HERTZ rent a car in europe question

Roz wrote:
    >
    > Has anyone noticed/used/booked through their new website? I've tried some quotes
    > for a 4-week rental in germany and got different results when I entered (by
    > accident) diffrent country of residency. For example if I were German, or Polish
    > I'd pay 60-75% less for the same car than if I were (and I am) a Canadian. I phoned
    > customer reps here in Canada but they have no answer, in fact they don't believe me
    > that there's a different price based on country of residence, their systems
    > apparenmtly show only canadian rates. Examples: Canadian pays 213 Euro per week; a
    > German pays 97 Euro per week; a Pole pays 54 Euro per week for a Compact Manual
    > with Air. Any thoughts?

Indeed you are quite right. And it's not just Hertz, BTW. They are all playing that
game. Idea is, maximize the amount of $ to milk from any class of customer.

I recently rented a car from Hertz somewhere in Europe and to get a good price, I
specified residence in an EU country which I happen to have ties with. They actually
did get me a car as per the reservation, even though they did manage to identify me
with my Hertz Gold profile, in which my address happens to be in Canada.

(But then again, next time this might not work.)

And BTW, in the past, this used to work in the opposite way: used to be cheaper for
Morth Americans.

Old Apr 18th 2002, 6:26 am
Forum Regular

mpprh has a brilliant futurempprh has a brilliant futurempprh has a brilliant futurempprh has a brilliant futurempprh has a brilliant futurempprh has a brilliant future

hi

this is a hot issue in europe.

the euro makes these comparisons easier.

there is substantial "grey" importing of many goods including cars, coca cola, jeans, trainers etc. across and into Europe.

Gothenburg - Kiel Ferries in the 1990's with car and cabin were the equivalent of EUR 3000 G-K-G, but EUR 9000 K-G-K.

on line booking systems allow you to check.

Peter
Old Apr 18th 2002, 8:20 am
Nightjar

"Roz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Has anyone noticed/used/booked through their new website? I've tried some quotes
    > accident) diffrent country of residency. For example if I were German, or Polish
    > I'd pay 60-75% less for the same car than if I were (and I am) a Canadian. I phoned
    > customer reps here in Canada but they have no answer, in fact they don't believe me
    > apparenmtly show only canadian rates. Examples: Canadian pays 213 Euro per week; a
    > German pays 97 Euro per week; a Pole pays 54 Euro per week for a Compact Manual
    > with Air. Any thoughts?

I would guess that it has something to do with the insurance that comes with the car.
European insurers are very, very wary of insuring anyone or anything associated with
North America, because of the litigatious nature of the USA and the high awards made.
I am told that Canada is not as bad, but it gets lumped in with the USA by insurers.
My company's product liability insurance automatically covers every country in the
world, except USA and Canada. The cost of covering those is exorbitant and not worth
the income I could generate.

Colin Bignell

Old Apr 18th 2002, 12:20 pm
Roz

Yep, it's terrible, yet not surprising... I happen to have a dual citizenship, one of
which is European. I have a valid Euro passport, but my driver's license shows a
Canadian address. I've asked here but the reps have no idea what I'm talking about.
So, would you happen to know if a combination of a Euro passport / canadian license
will get me a cheaper rate? Many thanks for confirming my suspicions, R

devil <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    >
    > Indeed you are quite right. And it's not just Hertz, BTW. They are all playing that
    > game. Idea is, maximize the amount of $ to milk from any class of customer.
    >
    > I recently rented a car from Hertz somewhere in Europe and to get a good
    > price, I specified residence in an EU country which I happen to have ties
    > with. They actually did get me a car as per the reservation, even though they
    > did manage to identify me with my Hertz Gold profile, in which my address
    > happens to be in Canada.
    >
    > (But then again, next time this might not work.)
    >
    > And BTW, in the past, this used to work in the opposite way: used to be cheaper for
    > Morth Americans.

Old Apr 18th 2002, 3:50 pm
Devil

Nightjar wrote:
    >
    > "Roz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Has anyone noticed/used/booked through their new website? I've tried some quotes
    > > for a 4-week rental in germany and got different results when I entered (by
    > > accident) diffrent country of residency. For example if I were German, or Polish
    > > I'd pay 60-75% less for the same car than if I were (and I am) a Canadian. I
    > > phoned customer reps here in Canada but they have no answer, in fact they don't
    > > believe me that there's a different price based on country of residence, their
    > > systems apparenmtly show only canadian rates. Examples: Canadian pays 213 Euro
    > > per week; a German pays 97 Euro per week; a Pole pays 54 Euro per week for a
    > > Compact Manual with Air. Any thoughts?
    >
    > I would guess that it has something to do with the insurance that comes with the
    > car. European insurers are very, very wary of insuring anyone or anything
    > associated with North America, because of the litigatious nature of the USA and the
    > high awards made. I am told that Canada is not as bad, but it gets lumped in with
    > the USA by insurers. My company's product liability insurance automatically covers
    > every country in the world, except USA and Canada. The cost of covering those is
    > exorbitant and not worth the income I could generate.

No, that's not the case. The price I just paid speciying an EU address included CDW,
while the (higher) price quoted for a US or Canada resident did not included CDW.
It's just like airline tickets and hotel reservation: differentiate the market as a
mechanism to charge as much as the specific customer will be prepared to pay.

Up to until a year ago or so, the situation was the very opposite: it was cheaper
when specifying a US residency.

Old Apr 18th 2002, 3:50 pm
Devil

Roz wrote:
    >
    > Yep, it's terrible, yet not surprising... I happen to have a dual citizenship, one
    > of which is European. I have a valid Euro passport, but my driver's license shows a
    > Canadian address. I've asked here but the reps have no idea what I'm talking about.
    > So, would you happen to know if a combination of a Euro passport / canadian license
    > will get me a cheaper rate? Many thanks for confirming my suspicions,

I am in a similar situation. An EU passport, issued by a consulate in the US as a
matter of fact, and Canadian driver's licence.

If asked, I can provide an address in the EU. (Actually, I still have also a 30 years
old DL from an EU country, which I am not sure is still valid.)

But in my Hertz Gold file, my address is in Canada, as on my Canadian
DL.

Anyway, last week, the reservation I had made specifying an EU place of residence
worked fine.

I got another one, in Germany. We'll see whether that one will work too. And since
on that trip, I will be doing paid work in France, I think I actually have a
reasonable claim.

> devil <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > >
    > > Indeed you are quite right. And it's not just Hertz, BTW. They are all playing
    > > that game. Idea is, maximize the amount of $ to milk from any class of customer.
    > >
    > > I recently rented a car from Hertz somewhere in Europe and to get a good price, I
    > > specified residence in an EU country which I happen to have ties with. They
    > > actually did get me a car as per the reservation, even though they did manage to
    > > identify me with my Hertz Gold profile, in which my address happens to be in
    > > Canada.
    > >
    > > (But then again, next time this might not work.)
    > >
    > > And BTW, in the past, this used to work in the opposite way: used to be cheaper
    > > for Morth Americans.

Old Apr 18th 2002, 7:20 pm
Grey

On 17 Apr 2002 19:50:35 -0700, [email protected] (Roz) wrote:

>Has anyone noticed/used/booked through their new website? I've tried some quotes for
    >a 4-week rental in germany and got different results when I entered (by accident)
    >diffrent country of residency. For example if I were German, or Polish I'd pay
    >60-75% less for the same car than if I were (and I am) a Canadian. I phoned customer
    >reps here in Canada but they have no answer, in fact they don't believe me that
    >there's a different price based on country of residence, their systems apparenmtly
    >show only canadian rates. Examples: Canadian pays 213 Euro per week; a German pays
    >97 Euro per week; a Pole pays 54 Euro per week for a Compact Manual with Air. Any
    >thoughts? Thanks in advance.

How about many people contact them and give them negative feedback on this?
Here's the URL:

https://www.hertz.com/customer_10/co...w&subject=site

In the US, can also call:

Phone Number: 800-654-3131 International Phone Number: 800-654-3001

A truly cool book: The World Is Already Yours Conscious living in the real world
www.alreadyyours.com (sample chapter, etc...)

Old Apr 20th 2002, 10:20 am
Ulf Kutzner

Default Gothenburg ferry (was: V. weird: HERTZ rent a car in europe question)

mpprh schrieb:

> Gothenburg - Kiel Ferries in the 1990's with car and cabin were the equivalent of
    > EUR 3000 G-K-G, but EUR 9000 K-G-K.

Isn't that a bit expensive?

Regards, ULF

Old Apr 20th 2002, 4:50 pm
Mpprh

Default Re: Gothenburg ferry (was: V. weird: HERTZ rent a car in europe question)

Ulf Kutzner <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

>
    > Isn't that a bit expensive?
    >
    > Regards, ULF

Hi

Sorry too many zeros !

Sure was expensive anyway !

10 April 1994 cost BF 29920 (Then = USD 880), Euro 950

Booked from Sweden was about Euro 250

Peter

Old Apr 25th 2002, 5:50 pm
Not The Karl Or

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected]
(Roz) wrote:

> with Air.

You might want to try a bid at www.priceline.co.uk

I bid GBP 15 (about EUR 24) a day for a compact at CDG including taxes, CDW,
liability and theft insurance. That was about some 30% cheaper than the quote from
the actual supplier (Alamo/National/Citer) of the rental w/o all those inclusions.
Was some 30% cheaper than what AutoEurope offered.

Note, I got the bid on the first try so I may have bid too much.