Go Back  British Expats > Usenet Groups > rec.travel.* > rec.travel.europe
Reload this Page >

Rome Ciampino Airport Taxis

Rome Ciampino Airport Taxis

Old Mar 6th 2002, 5:10 pm
Just Joined

martleeds is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Rome Ciampino Airport Taxis

Has anyone got a taxi from Ciampino to central Rome? If so, could you tell me how much you paid?

We are flying to Rome with Go, and could catch their shuttle bus to Piazza Santa Maggiore, but it is £9 each. There are two of us so in Euros it would be approx 31 euros. THerefore if I could get a taxi for 40 euros direct to hotel I would be happier (staying in Campo di Fiori).

Any ideas?
Old Mar 7th 2002, 8:05 am
mac

Default Re: Rome Ciampino Airport Taxis

On 6 Mar 2002 12:34:08 -0600, martleeds <[email protected]> wrote:

>Has anyone got a taxi from Ciampino to central Rome? If so, could you tell me how
    >much you paid?
    >
    >We are flying to Rome with Go, and could catch their shuttle bus to Piazza Santa
    >Maggiore, but it is £9 each. There are two of us so in Euros it would be approx 31
    >euros. THerefore if I could get a taxi for 40 euros direct to hotel I would be
    >happier (staying in Campo di Fiori).

You probably won't pay much less than 40 euro, but you will have the added
convenience. However, you should remember that not many taxis are regularly stationed
at Ciampino: I have sometimes found none left by the time I have exited customs. As
there are two of you, one might be able to go on ahead to hold the taxi, but in this
case the driver will start his meter running straight away!

Margaret Coffin InfoRoma - The Rome Experts News and information for the independent
traveler http://www.inforoma.it/romepage.htm

Old Mar 7th 2002, 9:35 am
Jay

<[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > On 6 Mar 2002 12:34:08 -0600, martleeds <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Has anyone got a taxi from Ciampino to central Rome? If so, could you tell me how
    > >much you paid?
    > >
    > >We are flying to Rome with Go, and could catch their shuttle bus to Piazza Santa
    > >Maggiore, but it is £9 each. There are two of us so in Euros it would be approx 31
    > >euros. THerefore if I could get a taxi for 40 euros direct to hotel I would be
    > >happier (staying in Campo di Fiori).

Do be careful though, make sure you get a taxi with a badge, there are many drivers
wandering round touting for business who are unlicensed, I got caught as a nieve 19
year old alone in Naples at night, a 40Lire taxi ride ended up costing me 75Lire and
nearly having the driver drive off with my suitcase!

But that was the lowest point of the whole trip I have to say, I loved Italy and have
been back since, not taken a taxi from the airport though sorry! Some towns (don't
remember which but worth checking) have a legal policy of charging double to go
to/from the airport as it is so far out of town. I can't remember which guidebook I
read this in though, it may have been somewhere in greece.

have a great time Jay

Old Mar 7th 2002, 10:36 am
Mark

We went to Rome last August and took the Go bus to the Rome Termini. We found the
buses comfortable and air conditioned. A GO/bus company rep was there to show us
which bus and the journey was painless if a little slow in Rome traffic.

pros. Easy, convenient, cheapish, no taxi hassles.

cons. Will take a longer, doesn't go direct to Hotel, doesn't pick up from Hotel

martleeds <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Has anyone got a taxi from Ciampino to central Rome? If so, could you tell me how
    > much you paid?
    >
    > We are flying to Rome with Go, and could catch their shuttle bus to Piazza Santa
    > Maggiore, but it is £9 each. There are two of us so in Euros it would be approx 31
    > euros. THerefore if I could get a taxi for 40 euros direct to hotel I would be
    > happier (staying in Campo di Fiori).
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Mar 7th 2002, 10:36 am
Gianni

martleeds <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > Has anyone got a taxi from Ciampino to central Rome? If so, could you tell me how
    > much you paid?
    >
    > We are flying to Rome with Go, and could catch their shuttle bus to Piazza Santa
    > Maggiore, but it is £9 each. There are two of us so in Euros it would be approx
    > 31 euros.

40 euros seems to me the right price! But it depends from the day, from the time,
from the traffic! Enjoy your staying in Rome Gianni

THerefore if I could get a taxi for
    > 40 euros direct to hotel I would be happier (staying in Campo di Fiori).
    >
    > Any ideas?

Old Mar 7th 2002, 7:36 pm
Graham Harrison

An acquaintance in Rome put me in touch with a taxi company who did the
Fiumicino/Rome run for EUR39.00. Phoned the morning of our departure from London a
very courteous gentleman who spoke excellent English answered and they were there
waiting for us as we stepped out of customs with our name on a sheet of paper. Nice
comfortable Mercedes. Phoned them again the morning of our departure to book a taxi
for 1530, they turned up at 1526! The lady who answered didn't speak English but
immediately fetched someone else who did.

I don't see why it won't work for Ciampino. Try +39 06 338 3221

Old Mar 7th 2002, 10:36 pm
Mark

The GO bus is £9 RETURN each, under half the price of a taxi.

Mark