Go Back  British Expats > Usenet Groups > rec.travel.* > rec.travel.europe
Reload this Page >

London weather in July

London weather in July

Old May 23rd 2002, 8:37 am
Forum Regular

mpprh has a brilliant futurempprh has a brilliant futurempprh has a brilliant futurempprh has a brilliant futurempprh has a brilliant futurempprh has a brilliant future
Default Re: London weather in July

Hi

I lived & worked in London for many years.

The great thing about London weather is it is so variable.
Check out historical max highs and lows here -

http://tlp.netfirms.com/

Maybe more important is the relative humidity.
When it is hot & humid, and you are packed in the tube with a few thousand others, it is sticky !

Other days can be hot with lower humidity and be comfortable.

Peter
Old May 23rd 2002, 10:22 am
Richard

"Miguel Cruz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Richard <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >"R J Carpenter" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >> For comparison: [all in F] [January] Plymouth UK Paris Rome Toronto NYC Dallas
    > >> Seattle Sydney Highest 84 104 98 105 102 105 100 114 Avg High 66 76 87 79 82 94
    > >> 72 78 Avg Low 55 58 67 59 66 75 54 65 Lowest 45 48 54 39 54 56 46 51 Wet Days 14
    > >> 12 1 10 12 5 4 14
    > >
    > > Are you sure you didn't mean July and not January?
    >
    > January for Sydney, since July is the middle of winter there.

Ah okay; must've been the column-spacing getting distorted by my newsreader. 39°F as
a record low in Toronto for the month of January seemed a good deal warmer than the
Toronto I know...

Richard

Old May 24th 2002, 12:22 am
jem*NO-SPAM*

Rosalie B. <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I have only been to London or England once in my life, and that was in 1950. People
    > were running around in shorts in weather that I would have worn at least a jacket.

This bears explaining. The reason English people strip down as soon as the weather
warms the tiniest bit is not because they think it's hot, but with the wet winter and
short days - and the sun so low all day, that the feel of a sun with any radiant
warmth is so nice, that you just want to feel it on as much skin as possible.

I tan more in London than I did in Australian, because the sun is something I seek
out, rather than cover up from.

joan
--
Joan McGalliard "What about the battle of style over substance?"
http://www.mcgalliard.org "I think our side is winning."

Old May 24th 2002, 9:26 pm
Mike O'Sullivan

"Brian Howell (Office manager) " <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> London only has two seasons, rain roadworks TEST
If you don't like the English weather just wait 10 minutes.

Old May 25th 2002, 6:21 am
Joyce S.

[email protected] (me) wrote in message
news:<[email protected] om>...
    > Went researching the typical London weather in July and they are listing the
    > average high's around 70 F. This shocked me because 3 years ago I wandered around
    > on 80+ days. Was that a 3 sigma event or something or is the standard deviation on
    > that average quite high? (And will the lows experience similar deviations?) Is this
    > primarily a function of rainfall?
    > (i.e. if it's raining it will be 20 degrees colder than if the sun is shining).

I was in London late June, 2000. It was so hot (+90F), the computers at the airport
shut down and our flight had to circle above London for an hour. Because we landed
late at night (about midnight) no taxis were available. Finally, after 2 hours, the
word got out to drivers to head to the airport. The hot weather continued for 3 days
- then...the old London weather returned. It was cold and rainy. My advice...be
prepared for anything.

Old May 25th 2002, 8:20 am
Evelyn Vogt Gam

"Brian Howell (Office manager)" wrote:
    >
    > London only has two seasons, rain roadworks

The same can be said for most large cities in the U.S., I think - for those in the
Upper Midwest, just substitute "snow" for "rain"!

Old May 25th 2002, 10:20 am
Edmund Lewis

[email protected] (me) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]. com>...
    > grey <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>. ..
    > > On 22 May 2002 10:28:31 -0700, [email protected] (me) wrote:
    > >
    > > >Went researching the typical London weather in July and they are listing the
    > > >average high's around 70 F.
    > >
    > > I have a hard time believing that. Certainly I've seen days in London near 90F.
    > > Are you sure that's the average high and not just the average?
    >
    > http://www.weather.com/weather/clima...?dayofyear=182
    >
    > Avg. High 71F Avg. Low 51 F Mean 61 F
    >
    >
    > Unfortunately, no indication of the sample size nor of the standard deviation
    > on either an annual basis or a daily one. Can't call up specific years either
    > so I could check my memory of July, 1999.

July of 1999 was very hot and dry here (Shropshire, 150 miles NW of London). The
reason we see 70 given as the average is that in some summers it can be in the 80s
for days on end, yet in others struggles to reach the 60s. (July 99 was the month
before the eclipse BTW, sadly August that year was a washout so I went down to Devon
and saw clouds). Go to England in summer 1995, when we had almost uninterrupted 80+
heat for 2 months, you'd think 70 was nowhere near the average. Go in summer 2000,
when I remember one of the Williams sisters giving an interview at Wimbledon whilst
shivering like it were Antarctica (that was the worst summer in recent years- mid 50s
in mid July) and you'd wonder why we need a word for 'sun' in Britspeak.

Summers in England 1990-2001 1990- hot, record highs in some places 1991- cold to
start, good to finish 1992- lovely June, soaking wet July/Aug 1993- cold, wet, better
off in Spain 1994- reasonably good, some good hot spells 1995- best in years, hardly
any rain 1996- variable, though better than some 1997- rained nonstop all June,
thereafter humid and damp 1998- boring, cloudy, cool 1999- awful May, June, Aug,
glorious July 2000- just go to Andalucia like I did, okay! 2001- not too good, too
many wet days here.