Reload this Page >

Driving in Britain tips?

Driving in Britain tips?

Old Aug 4th 2002, 2:20 am
Gernot Egger

Default Re: Driving in Britain tips?

"M" <[email protected]> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:[email protected]...
    > The motorways and roads were great, I think you were on the M1 not A1, A1 is
    > in Italy.

There are M1 and A1 (M) in England! (And there is a A1 in Austria too!
     )

M1: London, Leeds
M1 (A): London, York, Edinburgh

lg Gernot

Old Aug 4th 2002, 7:20 am
David Lewis

In article <[email protected]>, M <[email protected]> writes
    >I think you were on the M1 not A1, A1 is in Italy.
We have an A1, too, and an A1M.

Marie
--
David Lewis [email protected]

Old Aug 4th 2002, 7:20 am
Megan

On Sun, 4 Aug 2002 15:33:05 +0200, "Gernot Egger" <[email protected]> wrote:
but then again I might just have mucked up the snipping as usual!
    >
    >"M" <[email protected]> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> The motorways and roads were great, I think you were on the M1 not A1, A1 is
    >> in Italy.
    >
    >There are M1 and A1 (M) in England! (And there is a A1 in Austria too!
    > )
    >
    >M1: London, Leeds
    >A1 (M): London, York, Edinburgh

To clarify further, only some of the A1 is called the A1(M), most of it is just the
plain ole A1.

Motorways in the UK usually have an M at the beginning, but ones which are parts of a
longer major route have a (M) suffix instead (i.e.
A1(M) and A38(M)) as do some assorted short stretches of motorway.

A roads are major routes, but its no guarantee of quality of road - the A1 itself
varies from motorway standard, through major dual carriageway (divided highway) with
roundabout junctions down to fairly windy single carriageway near the Scottish
border. In Edinburgh and central London, its still a normal city/suburban road.

There are also B and C roads.

A1 through A6 start in London and cut the country into (very uneven) segments. The
roads between the A1 and A2 generally start with A1 plus 1 or more extra digits,
those between the A2 and A3 start with A2 and so on. The motorways roughly follow the
same principle, but the M5, for instance, goes nowhere near London and the M6 starts
north of Nottingham.

The A7, A8 and A9 are in Scotland and start in Edinburgh.

I should think the majority of European countries have an A1 - usually the main
route between two major cities. The UK is unusual though in that the A1 is not (for
the most part) a motorway. This is linguistic: the A stands, IIRC, for Arterial in
teh UK, whereas elsewhere it stands for Auto-strada, -bahn, -route, whatever and
means motorway.

Megan
--
Megan Farr Montgomery

Lille kat, lille kat, lille kat på vejen Hvis er du, Hvis er du Jeg er sgu' min egen
- Piet Hein

Old Aug 6th 2002, 3:21 am
Alan Thomas Har

Megan wrote:
    > A1 through A6 start in London and cut the country into (very uneven) segments. The
    > roads between the A1 and A2 generally start with A1 plus 1 or more extra digits,
    > those between the A2 and A3 start with A2 and so on. The motorways roughly follow
    > the same principle, but the M5, for instance, goes nowhere near London and the M6
    > starts north of Nottingham.

The last bit is wrong. The M6 starts quite a long way south of Nottingham, branching
off the M1 near Rugby. It then runs northwestwards past Coventry, Birmingham,
Stafford, Stoke, Manchester and Preston to Carlisle. The Preston by-pass section of
the M6 was the first motorway to open in Britain.

Alan Harrison

Old Aug 6th 2002, 3:39 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Bernd Felsche

* Congestion charge. You will have to pay a fee because the Council think the roads are congested. They're not really badly congested; if you have the time to wait for other traffic.

Interestingly; they don't impose a congestion charge on the at times severely over-crowded tube.

[/B]
You're ahead of the game here - the congestion charge for central London has not yet been implemented, and is, even yet, being subject to various legal challenges.
Old Aug 6th 2002, 3:49 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by The Oik
"David Lewis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
David Lewis wrote:</font></i>
In article <[email protected]>, mrtravel writes

Remember to go the right way (usually left) around the traffic circle.

<i><font size=-2 color=darkred>> >></font></i>
    <i><font size=-2 color=darkred>> >> It's a " roundabout" not a "traffic circle."</font></i>
    <i><font size=-2 color=darkred>> >> One *always* goes left round one. Do not try going right!</font></i>
    <i><font size=-2 color=darkred>> ></font></i>
    <i><font size=-2 color=darkred>> >I saw one with signs pointing right.</font></i>
    <i><font size=-2 color=darkgreen>></font></i>
    <i><font size=-2 color=darkgreen>> Please tell me where so that I can avoid that strange place. they must have lots of road accidents!

Somewhere near High Wycombe, there used to be (maybe still is) an INSANE arrangement of 5 or 6 mini roudabouts, on a larger, two way loop, round a dinky park thing. I'd like to think its gone - certainly, *I've* never been back!
I think you mean those at Hemel Hempstead? I don't know if they are still there - I think they were known as the Silly Isles [sic].

There is also a set of five roundabouts in a pentagonal layout in Swindon - known as the Magic Roundabout.

In both these case you can go counter-clockwise through the overall junction as you drive clockwise around each miniroundabout. When you get to the inner edge of one you can skip counterclockwise to the next one. Draw it on a sheet of paper and you will see what I mean.
Old Aug 7th 2002, 1:09 am
Amp_spamfree

David Lewis <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > In article <[email protected]>, mrtravel
    > <[email protected]> writes
    > > Remmber to go the right way (usually left) around the traffic circle.
    > It's a " roundabout" not a "traffic circle."
    > One *always* goes left round one. Do not try going right!
    > Marie

Ever been to High Wycombe Towne centre? Now there's a test of anyone's sanity.

amp