Old Jul 16th 2002, 10:20 am
The Oik

Default Re: Driving in Britain tips?

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > On Tue, 16 Jul 2002 14:53:38 +0100, "a.spencer3"
    > >
    > >
    > It's not our fault that you drive on the wrong side of the road.

no, you got it wrong, the UK drives on the RIGHT (side of the car)

Old Jul 16th 2002, 12:20 pm
Jan

Just out of curiosity Do you have 2 types of car licence in the US ie one for
Automatics and one for Manual cars ? The reason I ask is that we met an American a
few years ago who'd hired a manual car in the UK but had NEVER driven one before at
home!! Just wondered how he "got away" with it.

Jan

Old Jul 16th 2002, 1:20 pm
Rosalie B .

"Jan" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Just out of curiosity Do you have 2 types of car licence in the US ie one for
    >Automatics and one for Manual cars ? The reason I ask is that we met an American a

No - the license people don't care whether you can drive a manual or not.

I think everyone should learn. I heard about a lady at a remote location with her
husband he had a heart attack and was unconscious. She had no phone, but their car
was there. Unfortunately it was a manual, and she only knew how to drive an
automatic. She managed to drag him to the car and get him into it, but she couldn't
get the car to move. He eventually died.

>few years ago who'd hired a manual car in the UK but had NEVER driven one before at
    >home!! Just wondered how he "got away" with it.

There's no getting away with anything. They let you get a license in the US without
knowing how to drive a manual transmission.

grandma Rosalie

Old Jul 16th 2002, 2:20 pm
Geoff McCaughan

Bill Wright <[email protected]> wrote:

> Unless you are comfortable with driving a manual shift car in America, get an
    > automatic. Do not attempt to pick it up as you go along you will have enough else
    > to think about without the added distraction of learning that as well. If you are
    > used to a manual shift, then adapting to a manual in England should cause little
    > difficulty

I would advise anyone travelling to a country that drives on the other side of the
road to get an automatic, even if they normally use a manual. You'll have your hands
[and head] full with the change as it is, and if you have one less thing to worry
about, it makes life easier and safer.

Old Jul 16th 2002, 2:20 pm
Stephen C. Gall

"Jan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Just out of curiosity Do you have 2 types of car licence in the US ie one for
    > Automatics and one for Manual cars ?

Each state has it's own regulations, but I don't believe that any state has separate
licenses for manual and automatic transmissions.

You can learn how to drive in an automatic, pass your driving test in an automatic,
and then jump into a manual, and go.

As I understand it, in the UK, if you pass your test in an automatic, your license is
restricted to an automatic.

Stephen Gallagher

Old Jul 16th 2002, 3:20 pm
R J Carpenter

Stephen C. Gallagher wrote:
    >
    > "Jan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Just out of curiosity Do you have 2 types of car licence in the US ie one for
    > > Automatics and one for Manual cars ?
    >
    > Each state has it's own regulations, but I don't believe that any state has
    > separate licenses for manual and automatic transmissions.

They used to, but IIRC the "automatic" restrictions were dropped decades ago.

> You can learn how to drive in an automatic, pass your driving test in an automatic,
    > and then jump into a manual, and go.

I rather doubt that most US instructors have ever driven a manual shift car. In
general, only the smallest / cheapest model cars and light trucks are available with
manual transmission. The Ford Focus station wagon was only available with automatic
for the first year in the USA. Why? I hear they would have had to go through the
emissions tests all over again for a manual transmission model. They probably felt
that so few manuals would be bought that it wasn't worth the cost. Maybe a few
"muscle" cars are available with manual.

Perhaps 30 years ago some bank robbers stole a car to use for the getaway. One thing
they overlooked was that the getaway driver couldn't drive a manual shift and that is
what they had stolen. They were caught immediately. Manuals were a lot more common
back then.

I've never owned a car with auto transmission, but I'm a cheap, crusty old codger.

Bob C.

Old Jul 16th 2002, 5:09 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Stephen C. Gall
    <i><font size=-2 color=darkgreen>> Round-abouts will drive you crazy. Driving on the left was not much of a problem</font></i>
    <i><font size=-2 color=darkgreen>> for me or for most people I've talked to.</font></i>

As long as you know the rules about driving in roundabouts, they work
surprisingly well.

Keep in mind that in Britain, traffic moves through a roundabout going in a clockwise
direction. Picture the roundabout as the face of a clock. You would drive around the
clock face and you'll normally have entry/exit points at 9 o'clock, 12 o'clock, 3
o'clock and 6 o'clock. Assume that you enter the roundabout at the 6 o'clock entry
point. If you intend to take the first exit (ie exit at 9 o'clock) you should enter
the roundabout in the leftmost lane and upon entering, activate your left turn
indicator and exit. If you plan on taking the second exit (ie exit at 12 o'clock) you
should enter the roundabout in the leftmost lane and as soon as you pass the 9
o'clock exit, activate your left turn indicator and exit. Here's the tricky one, if
you plan to enter the roundabout at the 6 o'clock point and continue three quarters
of the way around to the 3 o'clock exit, you enter roundabout with your right turn
indicator on. When you pass the exit immediately before the exit you plan on taking
(ie when you pass the 12 o'clock exit) you change from your right turn indicator to
your left turn indicator. You would then leave through the 3 o'clock exit.

Once I mastered the roundabouts I had no problem driving in Britain.

Stephen Gallagher
If only all British drivers understood this. Many either don't use their indicators, or don't seem to understand the need to indicate a right turn when going 270º round the roundabout. So be aware that not all traffic on a roundabout is doing what them seem to be indicating - most commonly when going 180º ("straight across") many people don't indicate at all. (I am a UK citizen who drove there for 15 years before emigrating)

Take care, and as as you keep your eyes open you'll have no problem.
Old Jul 16th 2002, 5:18 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Brian Howell
On Sun, 14 Jul 2002 23:07:53 -0700 (PDT), [email protected] (I. Wilson Gittleman,
M.D.) wrote:

<i><font size=-2 color=darkred>>>Despite Paul's opinion regarding roundabouts, I find them the best thing since</font></i>
    <i><font size=-2 color=darkred>>>Kleenex.</font></i>
    <i><font size=-2 color=darkred>>></font></i>
    <i><font size=-2 color=darkred>>>Just wait until there is an opening. Once into the roundabout, you need fear no one</font></i>
    <i><font size=-2 color=darkred>>>coming in. If you have, for some reason, missed the sign for the town you, you are</font></i>
    <i><font size=-2 color=darkred>>>safe to go around again and again without fear.</font></i>
what a useless piece of advice... forget the highway code, there is a very simple
formulae for working out who has right of way at roundabouts.... The greater the
tonnage, the more right of way.... The only exception to this rule is in London where
black cabs think they have absolute right of way at all times, under all
circumstances.

TEST Coming into London Gatwick? Fixed price Taxi to Central London
http://www.airport-transfers-uk.com
One tip for you, the most important, above all others ...... please, please DO NOT consider, even for one moment, driving in central London. If you want to "do" London the only sensible way is on public transport. I would recommend that London is either the first (or last) place you visit, and arrange your rental car either after (or before) London.

The reasons:
* Parking in central London is (i) scarce and (ii) very expensive - could easily be $40 a day/ $10 an hour. (iii) often not convenient for tourist attractions.
* The roads are not laid out in a grid, or even close to one.
* Many roads are one-way, so you can't go where you want to.
* Many roads are for buses and taxies only (see above)
Old Jul 16th 2002, 5:20 pm
licrimlawyer

On Wed, 17 Jul 2002 01:28:39 GMT, Geoff McCaughan <[email protected]> wrote:

>Bill Wright <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Unless you are comfortable with driving a manual shift car in America, get an
    >> automatic. Do not attempt to pick it up as you go along you will have enough else
    >> to think about without the added distraction of learning that as well. If you are
    >> used to a manual shift, then adapting to a manual in England should cause little
    >> difficulty
    >
    >I would advise anyone travelling to a country that drives on the other side of the
    >road to get an automatic, even if they normally use a manual. You'll have your hands
    >[and head] full with the change as it is, and if you have one less thing to worry
    >about, it makes life easier and safer.

I respectfully disagree. First of all, it had been 20 years (literally) since I had
driven a manual transmission and I had no problem. Secondly, and perhaps most
importantly, when you have a manual tranny you are actually DRIVING the car--as
opposed to aiming it down a narrow road. This means you must decide when to upshift
and downshift. Helps the concentration--at least it did for me.

Old Jul 16th 2002, 5:20 pm
licrimlawyer

On Tue, 16 Jul 2002 21:35:10 -0400, R J Carpenter <[email protected]> wrote:

SNIP
    >
    >Perhaps 30 years ago some bank robbers stole a car to use for the getaway. One thing
    >they overlooked was that the getaway driver couldn't drive a manual shift and that
    >is what they had stolen. They were caught immediately. Manuals were a lot more
    >common back then.
    >
    >I've never owned a car with auto transmission, but I'm a cheap, crusty old codger.
    >
    >Bob C.

From the 1950s into the early '60s automatic transmissions were in vogue. People who
learned to drive back then would often have no idea how to operate a manual
transmission. Later, around the mid to late '60s, it became "cool" to drive a
manual--at least if it was "four on the floor" [or better] as opposed to "three on
the tree."

The robbery that Bob C. wrote about took place in NYC. They hit the diamond district
on 47th street. Unfortunately for the robbers, the so called "wheel man" had learned
to drive an automatic and was in prison when manuals came back into style. Thus, he
had no idea what to do with that strange pedal that was right next to the brake.

Rumor has it that the capos who planned this robbery were most displeased with the
wheel man's perfomance. As a result, in the words of Mario Puzo, he "sleeps with
the fish."

(As for me, I got my initial driver's license in 1966 at the age of
17. "Cheated by taking the road test in an automatic. I drove "three on the tree"
and then "four on the floor" until around 1981. Then automatics exclusively
until I drove in Ireland in November of 2001.)

Old Jul 16th 2002, 5:25 pm

Originally posted by R J Carpenter
Stephen C. Gallagher wrote:
    <i><font size=-2 color=darkgreen>></font></i>
    <i><font size=-2 color=darkgreen>> "Jan" <[email protected]> wrote in message</font></i>
    <i><font size=-2 color=darkgreen>> news:[email protected]...</font></i>
    <i><font size=-2 color=darkred>> > Just out of curiosity Do you have 2 types of car licence in the US ie one for</font></i>
    <i><font size=-2 color=darkred>> > Automatics and one for Manual cars ?</font></i>
    <i><font size=-2 color=darkgreen>></font></i>
    <i><font size=-2 color=darkgreen>> Each state has it's own regulations, but I don't believe that any state has</font></i>
    <i><font size=-2 color=darkgreen>> separate licenses for manual and automatic transmissions.</font></i>

They used to, but IIRC the "automatic" restrictions were dropped decades ago.

<i><font size=-2 color=darkgreen>> You can learn how to drive in an automatic, pass your driving test in an automatic,</font></i>
    <i><font size=-2 color=darkgreen>> and then jump into a manual, and go.</font></i>

I rather doubt that most US instructors have ever driven a manual shift car. In
general, only the smallest / cheapest model cars and light trucks are available with
manual transmission. The Ford Focus station wagon was only available with automatic
for the first year in the USA. Why? I hear they would have had to go through the
emissions tests all over again for a manual transmission model. They probably felt
that so few manuals would be bought that it wasn't worth the cost. Maybe a few
"muscle" cars are available with manual.

Perhaps 30 years ago some bank robbers stole a car to use for the getaway. One thing
they overlooked was that the getaway driver couldn't drive a manual shift and that is
what they had stolen. They were caught immediately. Manuals were a lot more common
back then.

I've never owned a car with auto transmission, but I'm a cheap, crusty old codger.

Bob C.
Twaddle!

There are many manual cars in the US, and many, if not most cars are available as a manual.

Generally it seems that the further south you go the more manual cars you will find, especially as you go away from New York. Calfornia and Miami are probably exceptions to this pattern.

My wife is from Virginia (I'm British, now also living in Virginia) and she owned and drove a manual out of choice be fore we married, and didn't think herself at all unusual.
Old Jul 16th 2002, 9:20 pm
Desmond Coughla

Le Wed, 17 Jul 2002 04:06:39 GMT, [email protected]
<[email protected]> a écrit :

{ snip }

> I respectfully disagree. First of all, it had been 20 years (literally) since I had
    > driven a manual transmission and I had no problem. Secondly, and perhaps most
    > importantly, when you have a manual tranny you are actually DRIVING the car--as
    > opposed to aiming it down a narrow road. This means you must decide when to upshift
    > and downshift. Helps the concentration--at least it did for me.

I would agree with that. One _drives_ a manual transmission car. One _steers_ an
automatic transmission car.

--
Desmond Coughlan |****#1 YGL#4 YFC#1 YFB#1 UKRMMA#14 two#38 Yamaha FJR1300 |BONY#48
ANORAK#11 desmond @ zeouane.org http: // www . zeouane . org

Old Jul 16th 2002, 11:20 pm
A.Spencer3

<[email protected]> wrote in message
    > I respectfully disagree. First of all, it had been 20 years (literally) since I had
    > driven a manual transmission and I had no problem. Secondly, and perhaps most
    > importantly, when you have a manual tranny you are actually DRIVING the car--as
    > opposed to aiming it down a narrow road. This means you must decide when to upshift
    > and downshift. Helps the concentration--at least it did for me.

There must be problems driving an automatic (I never have)? A friend got his first
automatic (after years of manual), and immediately demolished his garage!

Surreyman

Old Jul 16th 2002, 11:20 pm
Desmond Coughla

Le Wed, 17 Jul 2002 11:19:53 +0100, a.spencer3 <[email protected]> a écrit :

>> I respectfully disagree. First of all, it had been 20 years (literally) since I
    >> had driven a manual transmission and I had no problem. Secondly, and perhaps most
    >> importantly, when you have a manual tranny you are actually DRIVING the car--as
    >> opposed to aiming it down a narrow road. This means you must decide when to
    >> upshift and downshift. Helps the concentration--at least it did for me.

> There must be problems driving an automatic (I never have)? A friend got his first
    > automatic (after years of manual), and immediately demolished his garage!

The problem I have when driving an automatic, is that if I have to brake sharply,
I hit the brake pedal with my right foot, and my left foot instinctively goes for
the clutch ... and ends up on the brake pedal. So I brake twice as hard as I
intended to.

--
Desmond Coughlan |****#1 YGL#4 YFC#1 YFB#1 UKRMMA#14 two#38 Yamaha FJR1300 |BONY#48
ANORAK#11 desmond @ zeouane.org http: // www . zeouane . org

Old Jul 17th 2002, 12:20 am
Alan Thomas Har

Jan wrote:
    >
    > Just out of curiosity Do you have 2 types of car licence in the US ie one for
    > Automatics and one for Manual cars ?

I've just checked this on the Driving Standards Agency web site, which confirmed my
belief about this:

If you pass your test in an automatic, you are issued a licence permitting you to
drive a car with automatic transmission. This also serves as a provisional licence
for cars with manual transmission. (i.e. You must drive with L-plates and accompanied
by a qualified driver until you pass the test for a manual car. The answer in the FAQ
doesn't say whether you would then need to take the full test or just the practical
test in a manual.)

I can't easily see how this requirement could be imposed on visiting drivers whose
nationa licences don't make a similar distinction.

Alan Harrison

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.