Ayers Rock or Adelaide

Old Jul 23rd 2002, 2:20 am
Tj

Default Ayers Rock or Adelaide

We are planning a trip to Australia in early November. Our stops will include Sydney,
Melbourne and either Hayman Island or Hamilton Island. However, we only have time for
one more stop, would someone help us with our decision to visit Ayers Rock or
Adelaide & Kangaroo Island. My fear is, if we choose Ayers Rock over Adelaide, will
we be seeing a version of the Grand Canyon and Sedona area. If anyone has an opinion
about Hayman Island vs. Hamilton Island, this would also be appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

Old Jul 23rd 2002, 3:20 am
Raffi Balmanouk

Default Re: Ayers Rock or Adelaide

in article gb2%[email protected], TJ at
[email protected] wrote on 7/22/02 10:20 PM:

> We are planning a trip to Australia in early November. Our stops will include
    > Sydney, Melbourne and either Hayman Island or Hamilton Island. However, we only
    > have time for one more stop, would someone help us with our decision to visit Ayers
    > Rock or Adelaide & Kangaroo Island. My fear is, if we choose Ayers Rock over
    > Adelaide, will we be seeing a version of the Grand Canyon and Sedona area. If
    > anyone has an opinion about Hayman Island vs. Hamilton Island, this would also be
    > appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks for your time.
    >
    >

If, as you state, you only have time for one, go the Rock. Adelaide is my favourite
city in Australia, but as I've said here before, it takes time to grow on you. and
it''s a city....with western world city features, albeit with Australian flavour. The
rock is unique, as is the centre as a whole. It will enrapture you forever.

I've become convinced that islands are entities unto themselves the world over -
different, but with unique outlooks that go with being "a body of land completely
surrounded by advice," as Lord Shackleton once put it. You will have unduplicatable
experiences, but ones which will probably not resonate with you in the same way the
centre will.

Old Jul 23rd 2002, 5:20 am
Surfworx Photog

Try Adelaide, especially Kangaroo Island if you love the ocean. Its South Australia
all bundled into the one little package. Ive not been to Ayers, somewhere I'd go if I
was driving from Adelaide to Darwin. Very flat, dry dusty drive to climb a big rock -
great if you like big rocks. I'm a surfer so perhaps my opinion is biased this way.

Derrick www.surfworx.com.au

"TJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:gb2%[email protected]...
    > Sydney, Melbourne and either Hayman Island or Hamilton Island. However, we only
    > have time for one more stop, would someone help us with
our
    > decision to visit Ayers Rock or Adelaide & Kangaroo Island. My fear is,
if
    > we choose Ayers Rock over Adelaide, will we be seeing a version of the
Grand
    > Canyon and Sedona area. If anyone has an opinion about Hayman Island vs. Hamilton
    > Island, this would also be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks for your time.

Old Jul 23rd 2002, 9:20 am
Keith Willshaw

our
if
Grand
    > Canyon and Sedona area. If anyone has an opinion about Hayman Island vs. Hamilton
    >
    > Thanks for your time.
    >
    >

There is no way you could describe Ayers Rock as another Sedona or Grand Canyon area.
Its not only unique in geological terms but its cultural and religious significance
to the aboriginals is also important.

Given that you are already including a number of cities I would say that a trip
into the Red Centre is going to give you a more profound experience than
visiting Adelaide.

Keith

Old Jul 23rd 2002, 12:15 pm
Just Joined

ozoverland is an unknown quantity at this point

It has to be The Red Centre! It is more than just a rock! Without romanticising too much, it's a magical place! The Olgas, near to Ayers Rock, are stunning, and many think Kings Canyon, which is relatively close, is the highlight of the red centre, and it is difficult to disagree!
Assuming you have a few days to play with, because a trip to Adelaide and Kangaroo Island would need them, my advice would be to fly into Alice Springs, jump on a tour that will take you to all three in as many days, and enjoy the scenery!

Paul

Originally posted by Tj
We are planning a trip to Australia in early November. Our stops will include Sydney,
Melbourne and either Hayman Island or Hamilton Island. However, we only have time for
one more stop, would someone help us with our decision to visit Ayers Rock or
Adelaide & Kangaroo Island. My fear is, if we choose Ayers Rock over Adelaide, will
we be seeing a version of the Grand Canyon and Sedona area. If anyone has an opinion
about Hayman Island vs. Hamilton Island, this would also be appreciated.

Thanks for your time.
Old Jul 23rd 2002, 9:20 pm
Colin

Must be Ayres Rock, mind I am going to both the Rock and Adelaide next month The
rock really is unique, the night sky is really beautiful there as well, the stars
are awesome

Colin

our
if
Grand
    >
    > Thanks for your time.

Old Jul 26th 2002, 11:22 am
Tds News

Ayers Rock Definitely. It is a "One of a Kind" Also camp out under the stars one
night. and hike in the Olgas. This is definitely not another Grand Canyon.

Old Jul 27th 2002, 11:23 am
Just Joined

lilly is an unknown quantity at this point

I would definitely say go to Uluru! When I was in Australia I went to Mt Augustus (the biggest rock in the world, apparently) in WA and this was brilliant. After this, I wasn't expecting Uluru to be that impressive. BUT, I was very much mistaken - it was absolutely amazing and I was so pleased I went to see it. We did the 10km walk around the base which was brilliant - would recomment it.
I haven't been to Kangaroo Island, so I can't comment on that sorry.

You'll have a fab time whatever you choose.

Lisa
Old Jul 28th 2002, 12:21 am
Dj

Hate to disagree, but what the heck. I live in Sedona, and have spoken to several
people from our community who went to Ayers,. "Great place, wish it didn't look so
much like home." Very common distinction to draw with that region of Aus. and this
part of AZ. To our residents, a bit too similar!

DJ, Sedona, AZ

"Keith Willshaw" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > "TJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:gb2%[email protected]...
    > > We are planning a trip to Australia in early November. Our stops will include
    > > Sydney, Melbourne and either Hayman Island or Hamilton Island. However, we only
    > > have time for one more stop, would someone help us with
    > our
    > > decision to visit Ayers Rock or Adelaide & Kangaroo Island. My fear is,
    > if
    > > we choose Ayers Rock over Adelaide, will we be seeing a version of the
    > Grand
    > > Canyon and Sedona area. If anyone has an opinion about Hayman Island vs. Hamilton
    > > Island, this would also be appreciated.
    > >
    > > Thanks for your time.
    > >
    > >
    >
    > There is no way you could describe Ayers Rock as another Sedona or Grand Canyon
    > area. Its not only unique in geological terms but its cultural and religious
    > significance to the aboriginals is also important.
    >
    > Given that you are already including a number of cities I would say that a trip
    > into the Red Centre is going to give you a more profound experience than visiting
    > Adelaide.
    >
    > Keith

Old Jul 28th 2002, 7:37 pm
Just Joined

Albaus is on a distinguished road

Having once visited the Grand Canyon, I cannot believe anyone would be referring to it so glibly - it was amazing, incredible, stunning, awe inspiring - all the cliches rolled in to one. It literally made me breathless - to compare anything to the Grand Canyon is to endow a huge compliment.

As for the choice between Ulluru and Adelaide - surely there is no choice? Go to see one of the natural wonders of the world, or another city? I haven't (yet) been to either, but I know when I do get a chance to travel around Aus I will be heading for Ayers Rock, long before I hit Adelaide.

Just my thoughts.

Regards