Go Back  British Expats > Usenet Groups > rec.travel.* > rec.travel.africa
Reload this Page >

Johannesburg to Gaborone

Johannesburg to Gaborone

Old Jan 11th 2003, 8:00 pm
Just Joined

Jeffrey Smith is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Johannesburg to Gaborone

I am looking for a safe mode of public transportation from Joburg to Gabs in early February. I spent nearly five years in Nata, Botswana, in the early 90's, so I've made the trip several times using the combies. However, this will be my wife's first trip to Southern Africa, and I'm really not ready to subject her the combi experience from Hillbrow. We will probably take the Translux from Capetown to Joburg, so I need to get from the rotunda to Gaborone. Can anyone help?
Old Jan 16th 2003, 11:38 am
Irvine Short

Default Re: Johannesburg to Gaborone

Jeffrey Smith wrote:

>I am looking for a safe mode of public transportation from Joburg to
    >Gabs

>We
    >will probably take the Translux from Capetown to Joburg, so I need to
    >get from the rotunda to Gaborone. Can anyone help?
Can't comment about the Joburg - Gabs trip but those long distance
busses are a personal horror of mine.

Although the trip from Capetown to Joburg takes 24 hours instead of 15
and you have to eat BJ's food the whole way it is way way more comfortable.

Travelling as a couple you will get a coupe' to yourselves, or perhaps
even a whole compartment if the train is empty and the train manager is
being friendly.

There is a bar service and every first class coach has lovely hot
showers. You can even take your car on the train if you wish between
Joburg and Cape Town.

For some details see http://www.spoornet.co.za and go to "Shosholoza Meyl"

The safety on these trains used to be a bit dodgy but now seems
absolutely fine due to a few policemen being assigned to each train.

For absolute luxury at a much higher budget see
http://www.destination-sa.com/trains.htm

Cheers,

Irvine

Old Jan 23rd 2005, 10:30 pm
Just Joined

RPWinter is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jeffrey Smith
I am looking for a safe mode of public transportation from Joburg to Gabs in early February. I spent nearly five years in Nata, Botswana, in the early 90's, so I've made the trip several times using the combies. However, this will be my wife's first trip to Southern Africa, and I'm really not ready to subject her the combi experience from Hillbrow. We will probably take the Translux from Capetown to Joburg, so I need to get from the rotunda to Gaborone. Can anyone help?
Dear Jeff,

I will be taking this trip (Jo'burgh to Gabs) for the first time so I cannot offer you any help, but I would like to find out what you mean by "combies". I will be arriving mid Feb. in Jo'burgh from Hamburg to visit a friend in Gabs. and would appreciate any help that you could offer me to bridge the distance.
kind regards
Richard Winter
Old Jan 23rd 2005, 11:13 pm
Just Joined

Jeffrey Smith is an unknown quantity at this point

Richard-

My gosh! That was 2 years ago. We ended up bypassing Joberg altogether. We flew to Capetown and took a bus to see some friends in Knysna (somewhere between Capetown and Port Elizabeth). Our friends wanted to get their 1970 Mercedes to Francistown, Botswana, and we ended up driving it up for them. Interesting experience.

Anyway, a combie is a small passenger van that serves as a taxi. I used them all the time when I was there in my early 30's. Now, I'm 46 and married. I probably wouldn't subject my wife to a combie now. It's just not all that comfortable. If I were on my own, I wouldn't hesitate. The easy way is to take the Translux. They have a website at "translux.co.za". It's more expensive, and it takes longer. It would be easy to find out where to get on the Translux once you arrive. It wouldn't be quite as easy to find the spot for the combies. With a combie it's a 4-5 hour trip.

Good luck!

Jeff Smith
Old Jan 23rd 2005, 11:29 pm
Just Joined

RPWinter is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jeffrey Smith
Richard-

My gosh! That was 2 years ago. We ended up bypassing Joberg altogether. We flew to Capetown and took a bus to see some friends in Knysna (somewhere between Capetown and Port Elizabeth). Our friends wanted to get their 1970 Mercedes to Francistown, Botswana, and we ended up driving it up for them. Interesting experience.

Anyway, a combie is a small passenger van that serves as a taxi. I used them all the time when I was there in my early 30's. Now, I'm 46 and married. I probably wouldn't subject my wife to a combie now. It's just not all that comfortable. If I were on my own, I wouldn't hesitate. The easy way is to take the Translux. They have a website at "translux.co.za". It's more expensive, and it takes longer. It would be easy to find out where to get on the Translux once you arrive. It wouldn't be quite as easy to find the spot for the combies. With a combie it's a 4-5 hour trip.

Good luck!

Jeff Smith

Jeff

Thanks for the quick reply. I just checked out translux and they do not cover Botswana at all. Never mind. I think I will fly for around STG 180. Opodo gave the best rates there. Maybe its also the best way for you to fly?

All the best.

Richard