Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

When is a Brit not a Brit?

When is a Brit not a Brit?

Old Sep 15th 2021, 10:43 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When is a Brit not a Brit?

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
Some of the April 75 graffiti from Lisbon, photo taken in 1976

.... and the Portuguese Communist Party (PCP) still exists, within a multi-party democracy. On the other hand, power has largely been divided between right-of-centre and left-of-centre parties, with the more extreme elements in the fringes. This seems far healthier than artificially maintained two or three party systems, where other views are effectively suppressed. For this reason, I see no suppressed demand fuelling radical change in the near future.
Old Sep 15th 2021, 2:09 pm
Forum Regular

Johnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
Some of the April 75 graffiti from Lisbon, photo taken in 1976
Interesting. I was there when the Carnation Revolution happened (25 April, 1974). I was an engineering cadet with the British Merchant Navy at Lisnave (shipyard). I was later in South Africa and saw the aftermath of what happened in Angola and Mozambique, the colonial war in Africa no doubt drained them. I don't think future generations will want to go down that route again but the history is interesting to read. I also found out that Mozambuiqan Portuguese food is some of the best I had ever tasted which was a rare treat after being brought up on bland 'English' food.

Last edited by Johnboyuk; Sep 15th 2021 at 2:21 pm.
Old Sep 15th 2021, 9:26 pm
Forum Regular

m2m2012 is an unknown quantity at this point

A Brit is a Brit when Boris says so
Old Sep 16th 2021, 12:06 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Johnboyuk
Interesting. I was there when the Carnation Revolution happened (25 April, 1974). I was an engineering cadet with the British Merchant Navy at Lisnave (shipyard). I was later in South Africa and saw the aftermath of what happened in Angola and Mozambique, the colonial war in Africa no doubt drained them. I don't think future generations will want to go down that route again but the history is interesting to read. I also found out that Mozambuiqan Portuguese food is some of the best I had ever tasted which was a rare treat after being brought up on bland 'English' food.
Interesting times.

SWMBO worked for Philips,who were happy to manufacture in Portugal under the dictatorship..... but ran away after the revolution, like many other companies from the "Free World". The "West" seemed happy to have a fascist dictatorship in place.... rather than risk anything left-wing gaining power. The Portuguese who learned about the "ancient alliance" with England could not understand how their ally had abandoned them for so long - or why the Queen had chosen to be feted by Salazar when his police were murdering poor farm girls. For SWMBO, it was an odd time - one day it was frowned upon to be in a trade union, the next it was expected....

If you worked at Lisnave, did you see the frigate "Gago Coutinho" that sailed up the Tagus with orders to shell the rebels in the Terreiro do Paço? (the crew disobeyed!). The timeline for the coup reads like an action movie (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeli...ion_Revolution) and, were it not for the secret police opening fire on civilians, it would all have been achieved without bloodshed. In 24 hours the dictatorship was toppled and the fascist organizations abolished...... in the only military coup d'etat where the military did not seek power.

As the recently deceased ex-President, Jorge Sampaio, said "25 April......Always!"