Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

When is a Brit not a Brit?

When is a Brit not a Brit?

Old Sep 11th 2021, 7:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

sportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond repute
Default When is a Brit not a Brit?

Just watched a programme about LHR airport where an 80-year-old woman who was born in South Africa of British parents had arrived from the US where she had been staying with her daughter and said that she now wanted to live in the UK. Curiously she had no other family in the UK or property but she thought that by simply arriving in the UK with a British passport she would be looked after.

The narrator commented that she did not meet the requirements to be looked after by UK government agencies as she had not previously lived there, and further commented that anyone who leaves the UK for more than two years gives up the right to residency, NHS and something else I've forgotten (another senior moment...).

Not sure why, but this leaves me a bit speechless. I've always thought that I could return to the land of my birth if and when I decide to do so and that I would simply fit in with the current way of doing things, including popping along to the local GP when a bought of bronchitis hits me in the winter.

Clearly this is not the case, which makes me wonder what laws are protecting the thousands of people the French are sending over the Channel in P-poor boats, all of whom it would seem are sent to live in hotels at tax-payer expense and both fed and watered, and which laws don't apply to me. For the record I've paid my Nation Insurance subs from the day I became an expat in 1990 and now receive a UK state pension as a result. I also do not have a problem with genuine asylum seekers that need to escape tyrannical rule.

My wife and I made our minds up many years ago that we could never live in the UK again due to the awful climate. Living in Portugal has only enhanced that view. However, three years ago I thought I would live out my days in Hong Kong, but then all hell broke loose with riots and national security laws which resulted in the need to relocate.

I very much enjoy living in Portugal, but I don't know whether things here could go the same way as HK, and at some point in the future I might need to move somewhere else. With children and grandchildren in the UK, that would be the obvious place to go - despite the lousy climate, but if I'm treated as a second class citizen in the country of my birth...

I can now see why many people who have owned property here for many years have not decided to opt for residency.
Old Sep 11th 2021, 7:13 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When is a Brit not a Brit?

That program wasn’t correct. This thread covers it - Moving back to the UK after living abroad over 5 years

As a UKC, you would be entitled to NHS care as soon as you returned to live permanently. You wouldn’t be eligible for most benefits until habitually resident though, so that wouldn’t be immediate (3 months ish).

Short answer: don’t believe what you see on tv!

Last edited by christmasoompa; Sep 11th 2021 at 7:23 pm.
Old Sep 11th 2021, 8:11 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Also no, there's no conceivable parallel Hong Kong scenario and absolutely no enthusiasm for another bout of totalitarianism here in PT after the last very long-lasting and pernicious experience.

They are quite sympathetic, in general, to refugees here, though. The very recently-deceased and much revered ex-President, Jorge Sampaio, was a major champion of their cause and he's currently being lauded by all political sides for his initiatives in this regard, along with all his other achievements during the turbulent times in which he has been a very influential actor on the political stage.

Just so you know.
Old Sep 12th 2021, 5:49 am
BE Enthusiast

sportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
That program wasn’t correct. This thread covers it - Moving back to the UK after living abroad over 5 years

As a UKC, you would be entitled to NHS care as soon as you returned to live permanently. You wouldn’t be eligible for most benefits until habitually resident though, so that wouldn’t be immediate (3 months ish).

Short answer: don’t believe what you see on tv!
Really? Hard to believe Joanna Lumley got it wrong, but then she wouldn’t have written the copy. Good to know the safety net is there if needed but I very much hope it’s not needed as I like it where I am, gammy leg notwithstanding
Old Sep 12th 2021, 10:51 am
BE Enthusiast

toots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond repute

So were would one stand if they(for instance ) spent 7/8 months in PT(as a resident) and then spent 4/5 months in the UK in their UK home. I know you have to apply for temp GP /health care.(Based on current evidence not something to be recommended nor the possible event of not being accepted as they can't look after the patients they currently have), but what about the habitual residence question. Would you have to do this yearly as and when you are in the UK.
Old Sep 12th 2021, 11:53 am
Forum Regular

Johnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sportpix
Just watched a programme about LHR airport where an 80-year-old woman who was born in South Africa of British parents had arrived from the US where she had been staying with her daughter and said that she now wanted to live in the UK. Curiously she had no other family in the UK or property but she thought that by simply arriving in the UK with a British passport she would be looked after.

The narrator commented that she did not meet the requirements to be looked after by UK government agencies as she had not previously lived there, and further commented that anyone who leaves the UK for more than two years gives up the right to residency, NHS and something else I've forgotten (another senior moment...).

Not sure why, but this leaves me a bit speechless. I've always thought that I could return to the land of my birth if and when I decide to do so and that I would simply fit in with the current way of doing things, including popping along to the local GP when a bought of bronchitis hits me in the winter.

Clearly this is not the case, which makes me wonder what laws are protecting the thousands of people the French are sending over the Channel in P-poor boats, all of whom it would seem are sent to live in hotels at tax-payer expense and both fed and watered, and which laws don't apply to me. For the record I've paid my Nation Insurance subs from the day I became an expat in 1990 and now receive a UK state pension as a result. I also do not have a problem with genuine asylum seekers that need to escape tyrannical rule.

My wife and I made our minds up many years ago that we could never live in the UK again due to the awful climate. Living in Portugal has only enhanced that view. However, three years ago I thought I would live out my days in Hong Kong, but then all hell broke loose with riots and national security laws which resulted in the need to relocate.

I very much enjoy living in Portugal, but I don't know whether things here could go the same way as HK, and at some point in the future I might need to move somewhere else. With children and grandchildren in the UK, that would be the obvious place to go - despite the lousy climate, but if I'm treated as a second class citizen in the country of my birth...

I can now see why many people who have owned property here for many years have not decided to opt for residency.
I returned to the UK after 40 years and qualified for the NHS immediately upon return but not benefits which I did not need anyway. If you are born in the UK, you always have the right of abode. I suspect there is more to the program than they explained. Remember, there are different types of UK passports issued including British Citizens, British Subjects, British Overseas Terrirories Subjects, British Nationals, British Overseas Citizens, and British Protected Persons. Not all of these have the right of abode in the UK.

Hong Kong was on a lease so there is no comparison with Portugal. Portugal's negative past is for the history books. In fact, you are probably better off there than with Wheezing Boris and his crew.
Old Sep 13th 2021, 9:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't worry about things going the same way as Hong Kong, but the Portugal/UK you experienced will be very different for others and can change too. To say that the UK has an awful climate might not be true either and many (maybe not here) would argue it's the opposite. Portugal is also very vulnerable when it comes to climate and be it fires, drought, floods, storms, it will only get worse. Thanks to winter rain the Algarve apparently has 2 years of water supply left but it can change quickly. Even the 200 Million investment to fight drought won't solve the real problems and all it means is water hikes for residents. We face similar problems in Spain and will just wait and see. With Covid we didn't bother going to Spain this year and actually really enjoyed our time in Ireland + weather was perfect. I suppose you could also be treated as a second class citizen in Portugal and there's never a guarantee everything remains perfect. I know Portuguese who think they are treated as second class citizens in Portugal and no different here to be honest.

Last edited by Moses2013; Sep 13th 2021 at 9:20 am.
Old Sep 13th 2021, 10:04 am
Forum Regular

Johnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Moses2013
I wouldn't worry about things going the same way as Hong Kong, but the Portugal/UK you experienced will be very different for others and can change too. To say that the UK has an awful climate might not be true either and many (maybe not here) would argue it's the opposite. Portugal is also very vulnerable when it comes to climate and be it fires, drought, floods, storms, it will only get worse. Thanks to winter rain the Algarve apparently has 2 years of water supply left but it can change quickly. Even the 200 Million investment to fight drought won't solve the real problems and all it means is water hikes for residents. We face similar problems in Spain and will just wait and see. With Covid we didn't bother going to Spain this year and actually really enjoyed our time in Ireland + weather was perfect. I suppose you could also be treated as a second class citizen in Portugal and there's never a guarantee everything remains perfect. I know Portuguese who think they are treated as second class citizens in Portugal and no different here to be honest.
Yes, good post, it just goes to show that there are pros and cons wherever you go. I remember going to South Africa years ago and many people being unable to leave and lead a decent life elsewhere because of the crash in the exchange rate. Many people have taken a vacation in Scotland this year because they have had warmer temperatures than the south of England and thoroughly enjoyed it. Vancouver has had temperatures of plus 50C which cannot be pleasant. The introduction of satellite Internet has also influenced where people buy in the UK and move to more remote areas. Still, there is no guarantee of a continuous water supply in some of these areas. All of this continous development must put a strain on resources.
Old Sep 13th 2021, 3:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Johnboyuk
I returned to the UK after 40 years and qualified for the NHS immediately upon return but not benefits which I did not need anyway. If you are born in the UK, you always have the right of abode. I suspect there is more to the program than they explained. Remember, there are different types of UK passports issued including British Citizens, British Subjects, British Overseas Terrirories Subjects, British Nationals, British Overseas Citizens, and British Protected Persons. Not all of these have the right of abode in the UK.

Hong Kong was on a lease so there is no comparison with Portugal. Portugal's negative past is for the history books. In fact, you are probably better off there than with Wheezing Boris and his crew.
I posted the below earlier but it ended up on the wrong thread ( Senior moment ? )

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
From my own passport which classes me as a British Citizen

Old Sep 14th 2021, 2:19 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
I posted the below earlier but it ended up on the wrong thread ( Senior moment ? )
There you are. You have closed the loop and answered the OP's question about 'when is a Brit not a Brit.' Another legacy of our colonial past.
Old Sep 14th 2021, 4:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Errr. Not true. HK island was ceded to GB and two further areas were added in later years. Only the New Territories were on the 99-year lease, so in theory GB could have only given back the NT. Logistically this would have been a nightmare so the whole lot went back.
Old Sep 14th 2021, 7:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

There you are. You have closed the loop and answered the OP's question about 'when is a Brit not a Brit.' Another legacy of our colonial past.
The earlier quote post #9 is from my passport issued by

Civil Status and Registration Office - HM Government of Gibraltar

Old Sep 14th 2021, 11:37 pm
Forum Regular

Errr. Not true. HK island was ceded to GB and two further areas were added in later years. Only the New Territories were on the 99-year lease, so in theory GB could have only given back the NT. Logistically this would have been a nightmare so the whole lot went back.
Apart from the logicstics, there was always the risk of military confrontation which I am sure was a motivating factor, but, yes, you are correct and I understand that when we have all lived in these places we understand the complexties of our surroundings that the average armchair critic does not understand. My neighbour, who is from Bavaria, tells me that I am insulting him when I refer to him as a German which prompts a quick bout on Google from myself leaving me even more confused. There is an interesting film with Jeremy Irons called 'Night Train to Lisbon' which touces on Portugal's fascist past and is well worth watching. As Moses previously says in this thread, it can all change very quickly, either way.

Last edited by Johnboyuk; Sep 14th 2021 at 11:44 pm.
Old Sep 15th 2021, 9:06 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Apart from the logicstics, there was always the risk of military confrontation which I am sure was a motivating factor, but, yes, you are correct and I understand that when we have all lived in these places we understand the complexties of our surroundings that the average armchair critic does not understand. My neighbour, who is from Bavaria, tells me that I am insulting him when I refer to him as a German which prompts a quick bout on Google from myself leaving me even more confused. There is an interesting film with Jeremy Irons called 'Night Train to Lisbon' which touces on Portugal's fascist past and is well worth watching. As Moses previously says in this thread, it can all change very quickly, either way.
It did change, on 25th April 1975. The Estado Novo lasted as long as it did due to the inherent apathy of the Portuguese people - but both an attempted counter coup and an attempted left wing coup were defeated early on. So drastic change is unlikely.........
Old Sep 15th 2021, 9:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Some of the April 75 graffiti from Lisbon, photo taken in 1976

Last edited by Fredbargate; Sep 15th 2021 at 10:19 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.