Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

What things should I bring From the UK?

What things should I bring From the UK?

Old Apr 1st 2014, 11:26 pm
Forum Regular

ant68 has a reputation beyond reputeant68 has a reputation beyond reputeant68 has a reputation beyond reputeant68 has a reputation beyond reputeant68 has a reputation beyond reputeant68 has a reputation beyond reputeant68 has a reputation beyond reputeant68 has a reputation beyond reputeant68 has a reputation beyond reputeant68 has a reputation beyond reputeant68 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What things should I bring From the UK?

Thank you Jan - sounds very nice!
Old Apr 1st 2014, 11:39 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LittleARosa
We know Apolonia Supermarket near Albufeira, as we stayed a few times in Pera. The prices were indeed very expensive ( ready made baby milk for example - normal Pt supermarkets didnt sell).

Also the closer you are to the beaches and coast the more expensive shops and supermarkets are.

I only use the normal stuff in the kitchen - I tend to use fresh herbs other than spices. I heard that you can't find rocket maybe I could bring some seeds and have some in my garden?
You do not need to go anywhere Appolonia unless you are really looking fo luxury items or one of those ( and there are some ) who think that Portuguese supermarkets do not offer variety and value. We have some rocket growing in pots, along with basil, mint, tarragon, peppers and toms.
All seeds boughtin PT.
Old Apr 2nd 2014, 12:27 am
BE Enthusiast

ouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond repute

We bought, last year, some lovely bedspreads and sort of duvets in Pagapouco in Tavira. They also do pillow,s but then so do Continente and Intermarche.

There is one in the square, just over the Roman bridge and the other one is up on the 125, on the way out of Tavira, by the Gran Plaza.
Old Apr 2nd 2014, 3:24 am
Getting younger every day

sagalaut has a reputation beyond reputesagalaut has a reputation beyond reputesagalaut has a reputation beyond reputesagalaut has a reputation beyond reputesagalaut has a reputation beyond reputesagalaut has a reputation beyond reputesagalaut has a reputation beyond reputesagalaut has a reputation beyond reputesagalaut has a reputation beyond reputesagalaut has a reputation beyond reputesagalaut has a reputation beyond repute

MONEY !!! Everything else you can get here now.
Old Apr 2nd 2014, 7:57 am
Forum Regular

sandyeo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi I struggled to find what I call flat sheets (no elastic at the corner). we like to use them when it is too hot for a duvet.
I found them in a small shop in Vila Real de Santo Antonio near the square.
They call them American sheets !
Old Apr 2nd 2014, 8:46 am
Forum Regular

LittleARosa is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by sandyeo
Hi I struggled to find what I call flat sheets (no elastic at the corner). we like to use them when it is too hot for a duvet.
I found them in a small shop in Vila Real de Santo Antonio near the square.
They call them American sheets !
Thats very odd! Because all my life there, I used flat sheets. In fact, I din't know what a fitted sheet was before I moved to the UK.

They usually sell it in sets.
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 9:15 pm
time for a glug...hic

golf04 is just really nicegolf04 is just really nicegolf04 is just really nicegolf04 is just really nicegolf04 is just really nicegolf04 is just really nicegolf04 is just really nicegolf04 is just really nice

You mention that you are not concerned about furniture but if your preference is a Gas barbeque try and make room for one purchased in the UK. They are extremely expensive on the Algarve compared with say Argos, Amazon prices.
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 9:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to all

Seems that Amazon have stopped free delivery to Portugal as of yesterday.
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 11:36 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by golf04
You mention that you are not concerned about furniture but if your preference is a Gas barbeque try and make room for one purchased in the UK. They are extremely expensive on the Algarve compared with say Argos, Amazon prices.
Gas BBQ, really. I want one of those wood fired outdoor ovens, our neighbours cook almost everything in theirs from meat to fresh bread.
Their BBQ is made from an old oil drum.
I wish we could produce food half as good as they do.
Old Apr 4th 2014, 12:13 am
BE Enthusiast

newintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nice

Agree re. a gas BBQ - we waited to buy a Weber until we got here and had to pay double UK price. Note, however, that you will have to replace the regulator when you get here to fit PT gas bottles.

I don't really buy into the gas BBQ snobbery. I love a bit of "man make fire" as much as the next guy, and in the summer we can often be found building firepits at the inlaws and cooking leitao on a makeshift spit. But a gas BBQ becomes another day-to-day cooking option - ideal for burgers at lunchtime on work days or a quick spatchcock chicken and veg on a weekday evening. Neither of these are things we would have the time or inclination to do if we had to mess about with charcoal etc.
Old Apr 4th 2014, 12:23 am
Forum Regular

I do prefer a charcoal BBQ.

I mean a BBQ isn't a BBQ without its taste :P

I do understand the quick grill thing. But I think we will just buy a small electrical one instead.
Old Apr 4th 2014, 12:52 am
BE Enthusiast

newintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nice

A good gas BBQ still gives you the facility to add wood chips for a smoky flavour, but I admit that's not exactly the same!
Old Apr 4th 2014, 4:50 am
EMR
Banned

We were given an electric element that gets the charcoal going ( yes its cheating a little ). Charcoal get up to temp in half the time.
Old Apr 4th 2014, 4:58 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by EMR
We were given an electric element that gets the charcoal going ( yes its cheating a little ). Charcoal get up to temp in half the time.
As long as it's charcoal it's fine with me!
Old Apr 4th 2014, 5:57 am
EMR
Banned

Originally Posted by LittleARosa
As long as it's charcoal it's fine with me!
As we virtualy iive outside for all the waking hours in the summer we also have one of those small camping gas stoves to cook veg and sauces on much better than being stuck in a hot kitchen.
I have actually cooked a spag bol and pasta on a BBQ, using a cast iron skillet as the base to put the pans on.
Not just a moment of madness it was during a long power cut.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.