Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

What If UK Abandons The EU?

What If UK Abandons The EU?

Old Feb 25th 2013, 8:07 am
BE Enthusiast

bejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nice
Default Re: What If UK Abandons The EU?

Originally Posted by sir recorder
It's not a question about unhappiness, but rather far more about dissatisfaction with the status quo, and the right to express that dissatisfaction, and to outline and discuss the reasons for it.

When things are going right, there's no point really to criticise or praise them. If things are right that is how it should be. When things are going right, silence is the modus operandi. However when things are going wrong, which they are and badly so, everyone who perceives that should stand up and make their case.

Brits are utterly dissatisfied and disillusioned with the EU, that is why they will probably vote for leaving it. That will have a knock on effect in PT. Whilst UK is inside the EU investing in overseas homes and properties this is seen by many as the same as investing in the domestic market, or at least investing with less risk than putting their money outside the EU.

But that has proved in reality not to be the case. The losses within the EU property market have been highly significant. Brits are disillusioned with their overseas property investments, and are asking themselves what are the advantages of belonging to the EU. None as far as I can see. Membership of the EU was a kind of ticket for an added security of investment. If UK is outside the EU its citizens will no longer benefit from that, so there's no special or real point in investing in places like PT.
Of course you've the right to express dissatisfaction and your opinion, (as negative as it is). However, you'd have us believe some of your statements express the views of the majority of the UK population, but this is unproven.

Your view of things is so pessimistic, negative and without balance, and I really wonder why if things are so dire, you continue to post on the Forum. Everyone knows your views on all things economic in PT and the people in UK's view of the EU, so we don't need to keep hearing them repeated every week, unless you have something new to add, based on fact, not your pessimistic view. Of course, if you're a wind up merchant......
Old Feb 25th 2013, 8:20 am
BE Enthusiast

bejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Thanks for becoming abusive
You are clearly just too dim to actually discuss this with if you have to descend to that, so I wont bother any more because you clearly have a lack of understanding of how things really work! Doubtless you will tell us in a min ute that US credit ratings will affect the man in the street in Portugal
It is apparent SR does not like anyone whose views don't coincide with his own very anti Europe ones. From an earlier post of this current string, I suspect he is a UKIP supporter. Fine that's his right,but I'm sure most people are now absolutely fed up with his posts on this subject. It would seem he has little else to do any day except wind people upon the economic situation in PT,UK and anywhere else that there is depressing news. What a sad life he leads
Old Feb 25th 2013, 9:22 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Independent
Sean O'Grady: Any reduction in America's credit rating will affect every person on the planet
http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/...t-2329680.html

I am jolly glad that you are not in charge of running the planet.
Well, you'd take the word of a journalist wouldn't you, after all they are always right!!!!
Old Feb 25th 2013, 9:24 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bejaboz
It is apparent SR does not like anyone whose views don't coincide with his own very anti Europe ones. From an earlier post of this current string, I suspect he is a UKIP supporter. Fine that's his right,but I'm sure most people are now absolutely fed up with his posts on this subject. It would seem he has little else to do any day except wind people upon the economic situation in PT,UK and anywhere else that there is depressing news. What a sad life he leads
Its not that, but posting journalists views and (some) links that are near enough three years out of date and then getting stroppy and personal aren't really the way to put over a good argument, hence why I walk away (couldnt resist that last one though)
Old Feb 25th 2013, 3:47 pm
Banned

Benny Dorm is a name known to allBenny Dorm is a name known to allBenny Dorm is a name known to allBenny Dorm is a name known to allBenny Dorm is a name known to allBenny Dorm is a name known to allBenny Dorm is a name known to allBenny Dorm is a name known to allBenny Dorm is a name known to allBenny Dorm is a name known to allBenny Dorm is a name known to all

if you're a wind up merchant......
He doesn't appear to have the mental agility to be a wind-up merchant, some people just enjoy humiliating themselves in public
Old Feb 26th 2013, 7:34 pm
Banned

sir recorder is a jewel in the roughsir recorder is a jewel in the roughsir recorder is a jewel in the roughsir recorder is a jewel in the rough

Its not that, but posting journalists views and (some) links that are near enough three years out of date and then getting stroppy and personal aren't really the way to put over a good argument, hence why I walk away (couldnt resist that last one though)
Well, here's the clown in the Italian election

http://www.newser.com/story/163494/h...-election.html

Soon one will rear its head in a Portuguese election. The whole bloomin' EU is one very bad joke.
Old Mar 10th 2013, 12:33 pm
Banned

k0313602 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for becoming abusive
You are clearly just too dim to actually discuss this with if you have to descend to that, so I wont bother any more because you clearly have a lack of understanding of how things really work! Doubtless you will tell us in a min ute that US credit ratings will affect the man in the street in Portugal
i think you are the "dim" one around here if you really think that what happens in the usofa does not affect portugal,get real man.
Old Mar 10th 2013, 12:35 pm
Banned

k0313602 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: What If UK Abandons The EU?

Well, here's the clown in the Italian election

http://www.newser.com/story/163494/h...-election.html

Soon one will rear its head in a Portuguese election. The whole bloomin' EU is one very bad joke.
hear,hear,well said old chap,its on the way out,it wont be long before the escudo reappears.
Old Mar 10th 2013, 3:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by k0313602
hear,hear,well said old chap,its on the way out,it wont be long before the escudo reappears.
Are you SR in another guise?
Old Mar 10th 2013, 3:24 pm
Banned

sir recorder is a jewel in the roughsir recorder is a jewel in the roughsir recorder is a jewel in the roughsir recorder is a jewel in the rough

Are you SR in another guise?
No, k0313602 is not me in any other guise, but is a wholly independent poster, one who has got his/her head screwed on in the right way, unlike yours perhaps.
Old Mar 10th 2013, 6:17 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

What was a loony faction of 1 has now doubled .

With the Euro expected to stabilise and continue to rise against the £ ( it is the UK that the markets deem to be the real sick economy of Europe ) any talk of Portugal leaving the Eurozone is nonsense. With the chances of the Conservatives winning a clear majority falling daily so does the possibility of there being a vote on EU membership in the UK.
Old Mar 11th 2013, 12:02 am
Banned

Originally Posted by EMR
What was a loony faction of 1 has now doubled .

With the Euro expected to stabilise and continue to rise against the £ ( it is the UK that the markets deem to be the real sick economy of Europe ) any talk of Portugal leaving the Eurozone is nonsense. With the chances of the Conservatives winning a clear majority falling daily so does the possibility of there being a vote on EU membership in the UK.
It's the Minister of Finance in PT who is looney

http://dareconomics.wordpress.com/20...-death-spiral/

"The Portuguese have only themselves to blame. By continuing to belong to the euro, they doom their country to years of economic stagnation."
Old Mar 11th 2013, 8:45 am
BE Enthusiast

No, k0313602 is not me in any other guise, but is a wholly independent poster, one who has got his/her head screwed on in the right way, unlike yours perhaps.
This forum is about peoples opinions, including yours. Just because a majority don't agree with you and your newly arrived shadow doesn't require you to resort to attempts to belittle individuals and their views.

You are a sad person with not much to occupy your time it seems, except post on the forum. It seems your negativity is due to a bad decision you made, but everyone's life is made up of decisions, some right and some wrong, you have to live with them.
Old Mar 11th 2013, 9:25 am
Banned

This forum is about peoples opinions, including yours. Just because a majority don't agree with you and your newly arrived shadow doesn't require you to resort to attempts to belittle individuals and their views.

You are a sad person with not much to occupy your time it seems, except post on the forum. It seems your negativity is due to a bad decision you made, but everyone's life is made up of decisions, some right and some wrong, you have to live with them.
Another matter which I despise is the hypocrisy of certain individuals, from people who claim the moral high ground over others who hold views different from their own.

I have a right to express negative views, even if you do not like them. I do not care whether I am in the apparent majority or minority.

Tell me, when you go on a holiday and stay in a hotel, and it's not up to standard, or not up a standard which you think that you have paid for, do you just hold your peace, and simply say "that was just too bad" and leave it at that? Or do you go onto the internet and inform others of your bad experience, so that they might learn not to go where you went?

How else is that hotel to know that its service has been poor and thatt it badly needs to pull its socks up? A negative review is one sure way to begin to change that hotel's attitude to its customers.

The internet has brought with it a whole new medium in which individuals can express themselves, their opinions, a forum in which one can tell others about negative experiences. Then fact is that life is truly 95% negative for most of the time, and only about 5% truly positive. Think of all the books you may have read. Only about 1 in 20 has really been worth reading. The same is true with films and so forth. The negative in life occupies quite the vast majority of our time. Mediocrity is the majority experience for us all.

And yes, I am a huge customer of the services, products, accommodation etc. of Portugal. I spend and have spent vast sums of money within its economy. As a consumer I am not at all satisfied with a great deal of the goods and services I receive. Many things in Portugal are negative. I will not be silenced. I will bring them to people's attention. I will be an outspoken complainant, no matter whether I am popular or not, by doing so.
Old Mar 11th 2013, 12:14 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Many of us are not just second holiday home owners ( however much you spend or may have spent ) but reside in Portugal all of the year or a significant part of it.
Some rely on activities in Portugal to provide part or all of their incomes.
As such we have a better grasp on the realities of life in Portugal than the occaisional visitor.
None of us claim that life is perfect far from it but we realise that rather like complaining constantly about the rain all the moaning an negative thoughts and posts will not change a thing.
Please tell us what induced you to buy in Portugal in the first place.
Please be honest !!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.