Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

What If UK Abandons The EU?

What If UK Abandons The EU?

Old Mar 12th 2013, 12:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What If UK Abandons The EU?

Originally Posted by peterfc
Only a D******D would use " One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich "as a quote what does a book by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn have to do with anything. Pity he can't be transported to Somewhere in the Archipelago without internet connection so as not to annoy posters on this Forum.

The best thing would to not reply to any comment by D******D

Peter
As I remember, Ivan Denisovich was quite jolly at the end of his day.
Old Mar 12th 2013, 12:56 am
Forum Regular

repton55 is an unknown quantity at this point

Mrs repton55 replying here, I really do not know what planet sir recorder is on, we have also lost a lot of money in Portugal, it has not embittered us at all, we love Cabanas and Tavira, we have made the decision that we will rent over the winter months. We cannot wait between holidays, we love to chill with the locals, and feel we have already integrated with the lovely locals in Cabanas. Sir Recorder has managed to diminish the light hearted banter that made the expats forum from an enjoyable forum to follow, into a miserable forum.
Old Mar 12th 2013, 1:05 am
Forum Regular

Also, we will not respond to, and we will ignore Sir recorders miserable comments any more. Ignore him and he may well go away.
Old Mar 12th 2013, 1:15 am
BE Enthusiast

peterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by repton55
Also, we will not respond to, and we will ignore Sir recorders miserable comments any more. Ignore him and he may well go away.
All we need is for everybody to follow your example.

Peter " Dreams can come true "
Old Mar 12th 2013, 7:49 am
Banned

sir recorder is a jewel in the roughsir recorder is a jewel in the roughsir recorder is a jewel in the roughsir recorder is a jewel in the rough

Mrs repton55 replying here, I really do not know what planet sir recorder is on, we have also lost a lot of money in Portugal, it has not embittered us at all, we love Cabanas and Tavira, we have made the decision that we will rent over the winter months. We cannot wait between holidays, we love to chill with the locals, and feel we have already integrated with the lovely locals in Cabanas. Sir Recorder has managed to diminish the light hearted banter that made the expats forum from an enjoyable forum to follow, into a miserable forum.
And have you done your business arithmetic properly. It's hardly worthwhile renting in winter. It's hardly worthwhile holiday letting in PT at all.

Letting rates have fallen down by as much as €100-€200 per week. Costs are all up: electricity gas water, service charges, laundry, cleaning

The cost of having your property formally inspected and registered as a rental property. The cost of the required special items.

The cost of special insurance.

The cost of advertising up by nearly double.

The cost of special fiscal representation

The cost of concierge services to take care of visitors in and out

The extremely limited number of costs that can be offset against the Portuguese government's letting tax. The fact that it has risen to 28%.

The fewer people able to afford holidays abroad. Rentals down in number.

Extra deterioration on all your household goods, and a very significant increase in fire risk.

UK income tax on the net income left, if you are not 100% resident in PT.

All the best.
Old Mar 12th 2013, 8:48 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Do you ever bother to check your facts SR.

Just a few, 1)you do not need fiscal representation.
2 ) there is a double taxation agreement between the UK and Portugal , you canot be taxed twice on the same income
My advertising rates have fallen with Holiday lettings and Ownerd direct.
Its like anyother business, " negotiate "
Cleaning etc has not risen in 5 years
I would agree that rental income and numbers might be down but thats a Europe wide problem ( incl the UK ). Its called a recession something you keep ignoring.
Ignore is something I will also do from now on when you post your usual UKIP
innacurate opininons and facts.
Old Mar 12th 2013, 10:37 am
Forum Regular

Dear Sir Recorder,
I am actually very good at maths, we lost a lot of money on off plan deposits we made 7 years ago, and they are not going to go ahead with the build. We cannot afford to buy in Portugal, we have decided that when we retire WE WILL rent apartments from the end of September to the middle of June.

Last edited by repton55; Mar 12th 2013 at 10:39 am.
Old Mar 12th 2013, 11:06 am
Banned

k0313602 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sir recorder
One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich

Woke up, only just!

The weather was gloomy. 85% humidity. 95% chance of rain. No sun whatsoever.

Went down the hill in my car to buy some rolls for breakfast from the local baker.

Forced to use a queuing system. Take a numbered ticket from a machine, symptomatic of a grossly over-populated world. Have to wait 15 minutes.

My turn arrives. The price of those rolls are forbidding. The staff have no smiles on their faces. They are grossly overworked and underpaid, symptomatic of the Delta-existence that they lead. They have no real career, nor economic future. They could not give a monkee's-ffart about their customers. Pay up. Wrong change. Someone behind me in the queue complaains I am taking too long.

Go outside. Find I have overstayed in the car-park. Got a ticket.

Go to the petrol station. Price of petrol has risen. Fill up. Some unemployable geezer wants to wash my car windows for a euro. Tell him to get lost.

Drive to the motorway. Ola! The tolls are forbidding. What am I doing here? It's only 9am and life is so depressing!

Do my weekly shop in the hypermarket. Bank card does not work. Have to abandon my purchases. No one gives credit anymore. You're a nobody in this new age world unless you have the cash.

Drive home. The cleaner has arrived, late as usual. Wants a pay rise, saying the money does not go far enough for her and her family. Skimps on the job, leaves early.

The gardener fails to keep his appointment. Phones up two hours late saying he is ill. The flowers he planted last time have all died. The flower beds are full of weeds.

The electricity bill arrives in the post. Prices have risen by 10% or more, far exceeding general inflation.

Partner complains I haven't done the washing up for two days.

Walk into the village centre. Yet another shop has been boarded-up and closed down. Visitors are fewer and far between. This place has no future, utterly gloomy and depressing. No one is smiling. There's no buzz about the place.

Look for a pub/bar to have a beer. A load too much, in a rundown bar for a small glass of Super Bock - Yuk! Empty uninviting place. No real drinking holes where we are. No investment in tourist facilities.

Time for lunch. Take partner to seaside restaurant. Nowhere to park. Have to walk half a kilometer. Wind is blowing hard. Bill 80 Euros for a very mediocre fish dinner and wine. Poor service, and very amateur. And they want a tip on top of that. BAH!

In Portugal, a new report issued by the National Statistics Institute said that the Portuguese economy contracted 3.2 percent in 2012, marking its sharpest annual downturn since 1975.

The economy had shrunk 3.8 percent in the fourth quarter of 2012, with the government predicting a two percent contraction this year.

Portugal’s unemployment rate stands at 17.6 percent, the third-highest rate in the 27-nation bloc after Greece and Spain.[unquote];
hey mr S R,you may be in a minority here, BUT its getting worse no matter what some people with white sticks on this site would have us believe,
and the real brown stuff has,nt hit the fan yet.
Old Mar 12th 2013, 11:12 am
Banned

so will the rest of your money,stagflation anyone!!!!!!!!!!
Old Mar 12th 2013, 11:21 am
pdr
Forum Regular

pdr is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sir recorder
Time for lunch. Take partner to seaside restaurant. Nowhere to park. Have to walk half a kilometer. Wind is blowing hard. Bill 80 Euros for a very mediocre fish dinner and wine. Poor service, and very amateur. And they want a tip on top of that. BAH!...
To be fair, if that is typical, then I would be pretty depressed as well.
80€ just for lunch for two??? And as for the rest of that post - nowhere close enough to go to without using a car? A ticket for overstaying in the car park when it's still well before before 9am??? Must admit, it does all sound pretty grim
Still, if it's any consolation to anyone else, it's nothing like the bit of Portugal I stay in.
Old Mar 12th 2013, 11:43 am
BE Enthusiast

newintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nice

Nor me...would seriously struggle to spend as much as €80 on lunch with wine for two.
Old Mar 12th 2013, 11:45 am
Banned

http://algarvedailynews.com/news/914...-just-one-year

how much worse will this eurozone fiasco get? and these figures are for the algarve only! go figure all you smug expatshits these poor portuguese people are being screwed,stitched up,stabbed in the back,call it what you like, all to recapitalise the banks and the political elites, all i hear from you lot are everythings fine,
portugal must have an awful lot of people with the "chamberlain" or "vichy" surname.
Old Mar 12th 2013, 11:49 am
BE Enthusiast

newintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nice

I'm done with this forum. I'm sure all the nice people can find one of the other ones that isn't full of depressing bitching.
Old Mar 12th 2013, 11:51 am
Forum Regular

Nettienut is just really niceNettienut is just really niceNettienut is just really niceNettienut is just really niceNettienut is just really niceNettienut is just really niceNettienut is just really niceNettienut is just really nice

Originally Posted by newintavira
I'm done with this forum. I'm sure all the nice people can find one of the other ones that isn't full of depressing bitching.
Me too - and to think, I nearly recommended it to a friend the other day. So glad I didn't!
Old Mar 12th 2013, 11:53 am
Forum Regular

Nettienut is just really niceNettienut is just really niceNettienut is just really niceNettienut is just really niceNettienut is just really niceNettienut is just really niceNettienut is just really niceNettienut is just really nice

Originally Posted by k0313602
http://algarvedailynews.com/news/914...-just-one-year

how much worse will this eurozone fiasco get? and these figures are for the algarve only! go figure all you smug expatshits these poor portuguese people are being screwed,stitched up,stabbed in the back,call it what you like, all to recapitalise the banks and the political elites, all i hear from you lot are everythings fine,
portugal must have an awful lot of people with the "chamberlain" or "vichy" surname.
I find this post offensive and out of order - not to mention, grammatically incorrect

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.