Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

What do you miss from the UK?

What do you miss from the UK?

Old Apr 22nd 2015, 7:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you miss from the UK?

West coast, doesn't get hot [NW sea breeze keeps us cool all summer], also cheaper than the overbuilt south.
Old Apr 22nd 2015, 7:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ukkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to all

Originally Posted by liveaboard
West coast, doesn't get hot [NW sea breeze keeps us cool all summer], also cheaper than the overbuilt south.
Now where would that place be so I can check it out? I am also on the west coast but in the north of PT.
Old Apr 22nd 2015, 8:03 pm
Forum Regular

Red toms is an unknown quantity at this point

Where would do you think is the best part of Portugal to live in?
Old Apr 22nd 2015, 8:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ukkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to all

Nearly all of PT has a west coast and a bit of south coast. Come on and tell me where this "cooler west coast" is please.
Old Apr 22nd 2015, 9:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ukkram
Nearly all of PT has a west coast and a bit of south coast. Come on and tell me where this "cooler west coast" is please.
Sounds like Liveaboard is referring to the Alezjur (S) area of the west coast ,surfers paradise so always windy.Certainly rarely suffer from overheating here on the south west coast.Always an Atlantic sea breeze to cool things down..(too much at the moment ,coldest winter in living memory so far)As for expense..we have many different supermarkets to suit all pockets,plus local markets etc.and there's always grow your own veg and fruit to consider.Properties on the coast are indeed more expensive,go a little inland and the price falls dramatically
Old Apr 22nd 2015, 9:11 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dal Dy Dir
Only the English could complain about going to a foriegn country and finding they don't speak your language!

Maybe you should ask yourselves why you went there?
Sometimes what is seen as a complaint is just a simple observation or a comparison and not a real complaint at all.
Old Apr 22nd 2015, 10:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

I'm 2.5km from the west coast in Aljezur camara.
Up at Vale de Telha, new villas ready to move in, swimming pools and gleaming floors are going for 180,000, right on the coast. it's about 80m above sea level, the beach is down a winding road.
For the same price you can have a rustic house with land in Alfambras, Rogil, or Odeceixe. Rents are cheap, but nice long term rentals have to be searched for.
As long as you're within about 5km from the coast, the weather is outstanding. Don't get closer than 2km or you get a lot more fog on wet days.
Winter not too cold, much more mild than the north, but not as warm as the south coast. We get no rain in summer, but plenty the rest of the year and we have no water shortage here.
It's a mystery to me why the area is mostly overlooked, I guess people drive down the highway until they hit Alufeira, then never get to this end.

The airport is a bit far, it takes an hour or more. For serious medical, you have to go to Lagos or Portimao. Lisbon is 3 hours drive.
Aljezur has an Intermarche and a Spar. In Sao Teotonio to the north, there's an Aldi and a Lidl.
Carapateira is also stunning, but prices are higher and it's a bit far to get anything. Also, it's a bit dry there.
We have marked walking trails, lots of beaches, great air, and very few people.
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 7:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by liveaboard
I'm 2.5km from the west coast in Aljezur camara.
Up at Vale de Telha, new villas ready to move in, swimming pools and gleaming floors are going for 180,000, right on the coast. it's about 80m above sea level, the beach is down a winding road.
For the same price you can have a rustic house with land in Alfambras, Rogil, or Odeceixe. Rents are cheap, but nice long term rentals have to be searched for.
As long as you're within about 5km from the coast, the weather is outstanding. Don't get closer than 2km or you get a lot more fog on wet days.
Winter not too cold, much more mild than the north, but not as warm as the south coast. We get no rain in summer, but plenty the rest of the year and we have no water shortage here.
It's a mystery to me why the area is mostly overlooked, I guess people drive down the highway until they hit Alufeira, then never get to this end.

The airport is a bit far, it takes an hour or more. For serious medical, you have to go to Lagos or Portimao. Lisbon is 3 hours drive.
Aljezur has an Intermarche and a Spar. In Sao Teotonio to the north, there's an Aldi and a Lidl.
Carapateira is also stunning, but prices are higher and it's a bit far to get anything. Also, it's a bit dry there.
We have marked walking trails, lots of beaches, great air, and very few people.
I hoped you'd come back and spell that for me Live ..
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 6:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really nice

Originally Posted by Ukkram
@GeniB. I have retired here and not looking for work. More than 2 years of research led me to PT.
I realised that the north is not as conversant in English as the south but I have my reasons for choosing the north.
Mainly, I cannot take the hot weather and expensive cost of living in the Algarve.

The EDP charge the same per KWh for Electricity, a bottle of gas costs the same and the prices in Modelo/Continente/Lidl/Aldi are exactly the same wherever you are in Portugal.
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 7:26 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrBife
The EDP charge the same per KWh for Electricity, a bottle of gas costs the same and the prices in Modelo/Continente/Lidl/Aldi are exactly the same wherever you are in Portugal.
I agree the only discernable difference in living costs between the Algarve and other coastal areas would be the costs of eating in restaurants and even this could be argued by those who are happy with 7-8 euros daily specials.
The supermarkets do not charge more for goods other than for those products that are imported to satisfy the expat community.
Rents in some popular areas would be higher but that is simple economics because of summer demand from the tourist industry.
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 10:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Well, tractors cost more in the Algarve; that's why I went up to Beja to buy one.
Whoops! Wrong thread!