Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

We shouldn't have to travel so far for the biometric card

We shouldn't have to travel so far for the biometric card

Old Oct 26th 2022, 1:35 pm
Happiest in the sun

Score76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: We shouldn't have to travel so far for the biometric card

Originally Posted by bons
Just got our appointments through. It does state on the email that you can make an appontment outside your residency area if that will speed things up. I have from today to the 5th November to make the appiontment. I have to say, I am nervous about it.
Yes mine said that too, but when you get to the page on the brexit.sef.pt site, it only offered me Lisbon in the dropdown box of one. Try it. You can get that far without confirming, only when you click the button at the bottom does it confirm everything.

I wonder if they are sending people all over in a rush to get it done by the end of the year (which is what they said they would do).
Old Oct 26th 2022, 1:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

bons is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Score76
Yes mine said that too, but when you get to the page on the brexit.sef.pt site, it only offered me Lisbon in the dropdown box of one. Try it. You can get that far without confirming, only when you click the button at the bottom does it confirm everything.

I wonder if they are sending people all over in a rush to get it done by the end of the year (which is what they said they would do).
I've tried, it seems so complicated, it seems to be telling me I'm rescheduling.I have only got as far as clicking the box next to my name. I'm useless at this!!!!
You're right, when I click the drop box under the grey bar it only comes up with Lisbon. I'd go up the IC1 if I were you, no tolls and not a bad road.

Last edited by bons; Oct 26th 2022 at 1:39 pm.
Old Oct 26th 2022, 1:40 pm
Happiest in the sun

Score76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond repute

I would suggest not even trying on a mobile. The site is terrible. They've used hover overs in order to indicate what the buttons do which you just can't see on a mobile device. Chrome on a PC/Mac works much better, but yes, even then it's not always obvious what it wants you to do.
Old Oct 26th 2022, 1:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Score76
I would suggest not even trying on a mobile. The site is terrible. They've used hover overs in order to indicate what the buttons do which you just can't see on a mobile device. Chrome on a PC/Mac works much better, but yes, even then it's not always obvious what it wants you to do.
I'm using my laptop.
Old Oct 26th 2022, 3:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Should I have a NISS document? I don't seem to have it and SEF are asking for it. Also, do SEF ask for proof of address that is on the original residency document? Aslo what proof do they need of a new address? Thanks.

Last edited by bons; Oct 26th 2022 at 3:42 pm.
Old Oct 26th 2022, 4:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

toots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond repute

It looks to me that if you live in an area with a lot of immigrants (eg Algarve) you may have to travel some distance to your appointment as the SEF facilities are perhaps not well staffed/equipped. As I said in a previous post ,I had no trouble getting my appt in Santarem with plenty of dates and times, which perhaps suggests that the numbers of people looking for appointments in our area are fewer and far between.
Old Oct 26th 2022, 4:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

We live in the Faro area and have not received an invitation by email. However, this afternoon I booked appointments for my wife and I with no problem. Faro was the only option but there were 2 options for location and the upper one did not work, only the lower one which is the Loja da Cidade. SEF have been having loads of problems. So much for the trial period in Madeira to iron out problems before tackling the mainland.
Old Oct 26th 2022, 5:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Campanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really nice

Its thanks to you good people I got this far. We are the same received the email went on line and then offered different dates in Lisbon. The dates don’t suit due to work commitments . If you try every day of your scheduled period is it possible you might be offered a different office and date? What if at the end of the scheduled period you haven’t got an appointment
Old Oct 26th 2022, 5:45 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Should I have a NISS document? I don't seem to have it and SEF are asking for it. Also, do SEF ask for proof of address that is on the original residency document? Aslo what proof do they need of a new address? Thanks.
You won't need a NISS unless you have dealings with Social Security (ie principally if you're working). The only reason it's asked for is to log the number on the new card (as will be done with SNS Utente no. and NIF) - it's not a pre-rquisite to being issued the card.

I doubt proof of old address would be required if you've moved. New address proof could be satisfied with a utility bill in your name, IRS statement from AT, Certidão de Domicílio Fiscal (online from AT) or Atestado de Residência from your Junta de Freguesia.
Old Oct 26th 2022, 5:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Red Eric
You won't need a NISS unless you have dealings with Social Security (ie principally if you're working). The only reason it's asked for is to log the number on the new card (as will be done with SNS Utente no. and NIF) - it's not a pre-rquisite to being issued the card.

I doubt proof of old address would be required if you've moved. New address proof could be satisfied with a utility bill in your name, IRS statement from AT, Certidão de Domicílio Fiscal (online from AT) or Atestado de Residência from your Junta de Freguesia.
Many thanks. I presume the NUS is the Utente? Do you need think you'd need proof of address for the address used at the time of residency?

Last edited by bons; Oct 26th 2022 at 5:57 pm.
Old Oct 26th 2022, 6:03 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks. I presume the NUS is the Utente?
That'll be it.

Don't go Googling "NUS Portugal" to check, though

Do you need think you'd need proof of address for the address used at the time of residency?
No, I think you probably need proof of your current address, only. Can't see any reason whatsoever to require proof of any former address(es) - it's just to verify what's going on the card.
Old Oct 26th 2022, 6:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

That'll be it.

Don't go Googling "NUS Portugal" to check, though

No, I think you probably need proof of your current address, only. Can't see any reason whatsoever to require proof of any former address(es) - it's just to verify what's going on the card.
I mean if you were going to keep the same address would you need proof of that address?
Old Oct 26th 2022, 6:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Campanula
Its thanks to you good people I got this far. We are the same received the email went on line and then offered different dates in Lisbon. The dates don’t suit due to work commitments . If you try every day of your scheduled period is it possible you might be offered a different office and date? What if at the end of the scheduled period you haven’t got an appointment
Hi Campanula
When we did ours last week for Santarém I realised that the "scheduled period" is the timescale set for you to make the appointment request, so you can use the little calendar on the webpage to click on the arrow at the top of the calendar to move on to the next month ... and get a wider choice of dates that way. It looks like the drop-down bit for your allocated office does not change so not worth messing about there.

However I do think that expecting someone from the Algarve to go to Lisbon is downright ridiculous (Score76 you have our sincere sympathy!!)
Old Oct 26th 2022, 6:17 pm
Polished expat

I mean if you were going to keep the same address would you need proof of that address?
I would work on the assumption that you might be asked for proof of current address, just to be on the safe side. It's one of the most requested items for anything.
Old Oct 26th 2022, 6:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

I would work on the assumption that you might be asked for proof of current address, just to be on the safe side. It's one of the most requested items for anything.
Thanks again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.