Reload this Page >

UK Plate Car Registration

UK Plate Car Registration

Old Nov 3rd 2020, 3:28 pm
Just Joined

dariomorais is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK Plate Car Registration

Hey all,

Just joined here, was looking into this site a few times and seemed a great community.

I am trying to register my UK plate car in Portugal, although, I found the prices to be absurd, wow, It's like a punch in the stomach lol I had considered to hire a lawyer to deal with all the process, but after I was told I had to pay a crazy stupid amount of almost six thousand euros just to register the car, with all involved, of course, I was appaled and I am now considering my options, has anyone that went through the process of registering a UK car in Portugal be of any help? It would be much appreciated

I just can't justify a six thousand pound, plus lawyer, or agency fees, for a 2006 car, it's crazy

Regards
Dario
Old Nov 3rd 2020, 3:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Plate Car Registration

Why do you want a UK plate on a car in Portugal ?

Last edited by scot47; Nov 3rd 2020 at 3:44 pm.
Old Nov 3rd 2020, 3:41 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by scot47
Why do you want a UK p;ate on a car in Portugal ?
Hi Scot,

I am done driving in London and have this car since new, I have bought a house in Portugal and wanted to register my car as well now so it would be available when we go there on holidays and once we retire, the car is in Portugal already since last month, We will be arriving in four weeks time to settle in the new home and start building up our future
Old Nov 3rd 2020, 4:22 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
Why do you want a UK plate on a car in Portugal ?
I don't think he's trying to register his car and retain his UK plate - I think he's just noting that the car is currently on a UK plate and he is trying to reregister it in Portugal. I think.
Old Nov 3rd 2020, 4:25 pm
riv
BE Enthusiast

riv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond repute

You are not alone in finding these charges / taxation / whatever simply bizarre. Even the European Court of Justice has found them to be unlawful.

HOWever, they are what they are and if you want to import your UK car then you HAVE to pay them ( unless you are moving permanently to Portugal and thus can claim the exemption which applies for that ).

Taking a car down, then bringing it back to the UK six months later is ALSO extremely expensive. SO if you feel you must have the car you are familiar with ( this has been my justification so far ) then you HAVE to pay either the one off importation / registration charge ( and anyway, are you even sure it can be done, eg are the correct headlights available and can be fitted ?? ) OR the twice a year transportation charge.

Buying locally is cheaper, but then you need good recommendations and what not.

The issue has been raised a number of times on this Forum and no one has ever posted a solution which avoids the huge payment ( apart from the exemption for new perm residence ).

Old Nov 3rd 2020, 5:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dariomorais
Hi Scot,

I am done driving in London and have this car since new, I have bought a house in Portugal and wanted to register my car as well now so it would be available when we go there on holidays and once we retire, the car is in Portugal already since last month, We will be arriving in four weeks time to settle in the new home and start building up our future
Have you registered as a resident yet ? If not you can bring with you one car and have it registered for a relatively small fee ?
Old Nov 4th 2020, 6:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Bomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by riv
You are not alone in finding these charges / taxation / whatever simply bizarre. Even the European Court of Justice has found them to be unlawful.
The European Court of Justice has NEVER found this tax illegal due to it being lawful under EU Directive 2009/55.
Old Nov 4th 2020, 6:56 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bomber Harris
The European Court of Justice has NEVER found this tax illegal due to it being lawful under EU Directive 2009/55.
Is the correct answer!
Old Nov 4th 2020, 7:24 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Loafing Along
Have you registered as a resident yet ? If not you can bring with you one car and have it registered for a relatively small fee ?
We are not moving permanently yet, still a handful of years to go until retirement
Old Nov 4th 2020, 7:27 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Red Eric
Is the correct answer!
I was reading of Portugal being taken to court by the European Union regarding this tax they applied on the foreign cars, and some people taking to court and winning the cases, all very shaddy to be honest, well, like above mentioned, it is what it is I guess, but taxing a car from 2006 (in my case) as a 2020 car it's plain robbery
Old Nov 4th 2020, 8:45 am
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

Join the clan mate.......my car was first reg in UK in July 2007, therefore would attract the full current tax for a 185gm car (£100 more than in UK) .needless to say that unless I become a resident and can import it with no IMPORT duty !! It will stay in the UK
Old Nov 4th 2020, 9:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Bomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond repute

I was reading of Portugal being taken to court by the European Union regarding this tax they applied on the foreign cars, and some people taking to court and winning the cases, all very shaddy to be honest, well, like above mentioned, it is what it is I guess, but taxing a car from 2006 (in my case) as a 2020 car it's plain robbery
Portugal has been threatened by the EU Commission that they will be taken to the ECJ, not about the actual charging of ISV which is legal, but in the way they have been calculating the rates of ISV. The EU believe Portugal haven't been allowing sufficient reductions to account for vehicle depreciation.

If you think Portugal's ISV rates are high, take a look at the rates of the equivalent tax in Eire and Denmark, to name but two of the EU member states that charge higher rates than Portugal.
Old Nov 4th 2020, 9:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wellinever
Join the clan mate.......my car was first reg in UK in July 2007, therefore would attract the full current tax for a 185gm car (£100 more than in UK) .needless to say that unless I become a resident and can import it with no IMPORT duty !! It will stay in the UK
There are changes proposed in the 2021 State budget which, if approved, will reduce the cost.
Old Nov 4th 2020, 9:37 am
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

Presumably if they do it will be due to pressure from the EU
Old Nov 4th 2020, 3:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Scot,

When is the car due for the MOT inspection? You will have a problem if the car is in Portugal when the MOT runs out.