Reload this Page >

UK light fittings in PT?

UK light fittings in PT?

Old Mar 25th 2018, 7:26 pm
Just Joined

beccydan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK light fittings in PT?

Hey all.
I have a couple of UK ceiling light fittings that I'm bringing with me. What do i need to know?

Is it a case of wiring them straight into the ceiling wires like i would here? Or are there any considerations with wiring, volts, watts et al?

I know this is probably a very clueless question - so go easy on me!!

thanks!
Old Mar 25th 2018, 7:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK light fittings in PT?

You can wire them straight in but getting spare bulbs might not be so easy unless you buy online
Old Mar 25th 2018, 7:51 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mfesharne
You can wire them straight in but getting spare bulbs might not be so easy unless you buy online
Oh that's good news - thank you. What's the prob with light bulbs? (Am i allowed 2 daft q's in one thread?)
Old Mar 25th 2018, 8:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

UK has BC aka bayonet cap aka push & twist whilst Portugal has ES aka Edison screw aka screw in bulbs.

We also have a few other types but I've never seen BC caps here except very occasionally in the Chinese shops but anything from those is pig awful quality.
Old Mar 25th 2018, 8:31 pm
Just Joined

lol!! Might give Chinese shops a miss for anything electrical!! thanks - will double check the fittings and bring any with me!
Old Mar 26th 2018, 6:00 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

The alternative to trying to source difficult to find bulbs would be to change the bulb holder, if that's possible. I've done that with some table lamps but it'll depend on the fitting as to whether it's got a replaceable one.
Old Mar 26th 2018, 9:08 pm
Just Joined

ta!
Old Mar 26th 2018, 9:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Red Eric
The alternative to trying to source difficult to find bulbs would be to change the bulb holder, if that's possible. I've done that with some table lamps but it'll depend on the fitting as to whether it's got a replaceable one.
Or buy an adaptor such as this.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/OnvianTech-...+screw+adapter