Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

UK election - what happens now?

UK election - what happens now?

Old Jun 10th 2017, 7:32 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK election - what happens now?

Originally Posted by Red Eric
Is it really that much of an imposition to put a cross on a ballot paper? Personally, I welcome the opportunity when things aren't going the way I'd like - the more, the merrier at the moment, as far as I'm concerned

It did require the agreement of the major opposition party. To be honest, given the polls at the time, I was mighty surprised Corbyn opted in and half assumed he'd done so simply because he thought not to would be to invite even more abuse from the oppo, the press and his own party, all of whom would have bayed for his resignation all over again had he refused. However, he and his advisors obviously thought differently and they were proved right, which shows how very much more politically astute - and therefore better qualified to run the country according to the will of the people - they are than the Conservaties at the moment

I understand May wants to abolish the Fixed Term Parliaments Act and that is in the manifesto, although it could prove tricky as apparently they can't just switch back to what was in place before.
No, it's the hours and hours of political punditry and TV coverage that really annoys me, even now most of the news bulletins are composed of talking heads about the election result, with what if... and could she.. will there... I'm, for one, sick and tired of it, and it fills me with dismay that we may have to go through it all again this year.
Old Jun 10th 2017, 8:20 am
Banned

007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: UK election - what happens now?

I know I've said this before, but it looks increasingly true. It's all based on the presumption & assumption that our Betters actually know what they're doing.
Why do I keep humming The Grand Old Duke of York....... So, a show of Emoticons, anyone?

1. UK now looks like Europe's latest dysfunctional 'Banana Republic' (as we don't grow Bananas, I suppose it should read Cox's Pippen).

2. UK should disunite to let Scotland, NI & Wales go their own way.

3. UK should get on with it and will strike a Great Deal.

4. Strong & Stable = Foreigners only respect us when we shout at them.

5. UK should ask Donald Trump (it'll be Great Folks) to become the UK's chief Brexit negotiator.

Alternatively, we could all lobby for the BBC to be shut down - do they actually pay these pundits to come along & sound off for hours, or just give them tea & bikkies - anyone know?
Old Jun 10th 2017, 9:53 am
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

Livid Conservative Voter’s Epic Theresa May Rant Is A Must-Watch - LBC

Old Jun 10th 2017, 10:04 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
No, it's the hours and hours of political punditry and TV coverage that really annoys me, even now most of the news bulletins are composed of talking heads about the election result, with what if... and could she.. will there... I'm, for one, sick and tired of it, and it fills me with dismay that we may have to go through it all again this year.
My input remains about the same, election or no - I like to know what's going on in Portugal and the UK but certainly not to the exclusion of all else.

I do find it a bit rich that some who voted for this upheaval (and it was widely forecast ) are now complaining about it. I voted for strength and stability in the referendum, as did you I think.
Old Jun 10th 2017, 1:08 pm
Gold-Helmeted Member

captainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond repute

I cannot see how Theresa May can possibly conduct the brexit negotations now. I mean, she went to the country with a 20+% lead in the polls, and the opposition in disarray and made the election all about her leadership and brexit mandate. And the public responded in the most spectacular general election upset I can recall.

The problem is, that nobody else can either! If she quits, and Boris or something else leads the Tories, they'll have no mandate either, and no majority to push it through. But the opposition didn't win the election either, so even a coalition of opposition groups has no mandate.

The only way they could possibly negotiate in any meaningful way and claim a mandate and have the numbers to pass measures in parliament with confidence is if there is some kind of Labour/Conservative party agreement. That would probably mean a compromise on hard brexit, and a plan for soft brexit. But this would take more time to formulate a whole new plan.

Britain really has created a massive mess and I think that pretty soon, panic is going to set in. The UK is already now bottom of the growth league in the EU, and we haven't actually left yet. Time is running out, and Britain is still navel gazing and fighting over what it actually wants and may have another election within the next 6 months, so there will be hardly any time left to negotiate.

It's really time for the politicians to put aside party politics and put some kind of cross party unity team in place to negotiate a sensible brexit before it's too late.
Old Jun 10th 2017, 2:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose more correctly they've got the mandate to leave because the referendum gave it to them......... What they may & probably will lack is the strong negotiators able to strike a good deal & I've no doubt the media will make the most of that in the coming weeks & that'll there will be calls for immediate Brexit & revert to WTO rules as well.

What I am surprised about is that TM hasn't resigned but my guess is she probably will IF (note the big IF) there is another GE announced.

A absolutely agree with CaptainFlack when he says: "It's really time for the politicians to put aside party politics and put some kind of cross party unity team in place to negotiate a sensible brexit before it's too late".
Old Jun 10th 2017, 3:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

I really don't see May remaining as PM .. She totally blew it with her arrogant stance,her refusal to debate with Corbyn..Even to discuss the important issues . Her speech after the London attacks left a lot to be desired. She has zero empathy with the country and people she leads.

However ..who replaces her? Boris ? The people aren't that stupid surely.. Hammond? maybe. but he is a remainer..Gove? please god no.
The Tories first response was pretty telling.. lets blame everyone but ourselves...That bodes ill I'm afraid .I think there is going to be a bloodbath.This was an avoidable disaster for them ...as was calling a referendum...as was being lead by the nose by the now defunct UKIP party. who made them call a referendum Has anyone got a brain in there.?

Two things were shoved on the table at the last minute..(before it went pear shaped) To give the right to vote back to all ex-pats irrespective of how long they had lived outside the UK.. as is normal for most countries around the world. To agree that the right of all EU ex pats in the UK would be guaranteed /respected. If they implement those two things alone it could turn out better than expected for us.Should another 'snap' election come along in the near future.
Old Jun 10th 2017, 3:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Quite the passionate rant... pity he hasn't got a single fact right
Old Jun 10th 2017, 3:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by GeniB
Quite the passionate rant... pity he hasn't got a single fact right
Whether one agrees with him or not is a matter of opinion more than anything else but either way, it's funny as hell.
Old Jun 10th 2017, 3:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by captainflack
I cannot see how Theresa May can possibly conduct the brexit negotations now. I mean, she went to the country with a 20+% lead in the polls, and the opposition in disarray and made the election all about her leadership and brexit mandate. And the public responded in the most spectacular general election upset I can recall.

The problem is, that nobody else can either! If she quits, and Boris or something else leads the Tories, they'll have no mandate either, and no majority to push it through. But the opposition didn't win the election either, so even a coalition of opposition groups has no mandate.

The only way they could possibly negotiate in any meaningful way and claim a mandate and have the numbers to pass measures in parliament with confidence is if there is some kind of Labour/Conservative party agreement. That would probably mean a compromise on hard brexit, and a plan for soft brexit. But this would take more time to formulate a whole new plan.

Britain really has created a massive mess and I think that pretty soon, panic is going to set in. The UK is already now bottom of the growth league in the EU, and we haven't actually left yet. Time is running out, and Britain is still navel gazing and fighting over what it actually wants and may have another election within the next 6 months, so there will be hardly any time left to negotiate.

It's really time for the politicians to put aside party politics and put some kind of cross party unity team in place to negotiate a sensible brexit before it's too late.
Here' an idea.. how about co-operation... how about cross party talks.. How about coalition how about everyone of those self important idiots getting together to thrash out a deal that the UK can hold its head up with... Its a b****y business deal for heavens sake.Get the DTI to do it. if they can't
Create a cross party working group to thrash out the details. Present it to parliament and the public and vote on it.and then just DO IT. aaaghhhhhhhh.
Old Jun 10th 2017, 4:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

peterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
No, it's the hours and hours of political punditry and TV coverage that really annoys me, .
Answer Turn it OFF if you are that bothered

Peter
Old Jun 10th 2017, 4:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

peterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric
I voted for strength and stability
What party are they i ask. The strength and stability Party

Peter
Old Jun 10th 2017, 8:08 pm
Just Joined

rickuk3 is an unknown quantity at this point

May lost the election because she thought everyone would support her regardless of what she said or did because of Brexit, but to come out and say you may have paid taxes, NI and scrimped and saved all your life to buy your house and save some money to pass to your children rather than squander it but now you are going to have to pay for your own health care in old age, but if you have not bothered looking to the future then the state will pay for you. It was the biggest vote loser possible as was shown by the sudden drop in her poll ratings at the time, its like asking turkeys to vote for Christmas.
Richard
Old Jun 10th 2017, 8:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by rickuk3
May lost the election because she thought everyone would support her regardless of what she said or did because of Brexit, but to come out and say you may have paid taxes, NI and scrimped and saved all your life to buy your house and save some money to pass to your children rather than squander it but now you are going to have to pay for your own health care in old age, but if you have not bothered looking to the future then the state will pay for you. It was the biggest vote loser possible as was shown by the sudden drop in her poll ratings at the time, its like asking turkeys to vote for Christmas.
Richard
She led a piss poor campaign but she didn't lose the election.
Old Jun 11th 2017, 9:59 am
Just Joined

rickuk3 is an unknown quantity at this point

She may have the largest number of seats of any of the parties, but she did not win the election, to win you need to have over 50% of the seats in parliament. As a life long Conservative I am very disappointed in the parties manifesto. Just have to hope they can get there act together and go forward.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.