Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

UK driving licence exchange

UK driving licence exchange

Old Dec 3rd 2021, 12:42 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK driving licence exchange

Originally Posted by Alan PT
In one of those amusing weirdnesses of Portuguese bureaucracy it was the only document which our Camara Municipal would accept as proof of address. Which it really wasn't, because we got it by going to the Junta de Freguisia, paying them 6 euro, they asked us where we lived, we told them and they put it on the document
Yes, this is a level of administration below the lowest we're accustomed to in the UK and one it's essential to engage with on certain matters. They're the most local to the population, so if anyone needs an official affidavit to the effect that they are actually living where they say they are, it's the junta de freguesia you apply to to bear witness. It isn't obligatory for all official dealings but it can be requested, so may vary from place to place as to whether you're asked for one in any given circumstance. They might occasionally do a little more than just asking you for your address to satisfy themselves that you are living there, if they're not already aware of your existence.

In light of which, however, it's not their brief to delve into origins or immigration status and therefore a bit puzzling that our new friend in need has apparently been refused one, with Brexit cited as the reason. This is a document that should be issued unconditionally to anyone resident within the freguesia boundaries, on request. It should be obtainable by undocumented migrants, for example (not that that has any bearing on the current circumstance under discussion - just an observation to demonstrate that it isn't contingent on anything other than physical presence).
Old Dec 3rd 2021, 5:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Alan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric
Yes, this is a level of administration below the lowest we're accustomed to in the UK and one it's essential to engage with on certain matters. They're the most local to the population, so if anyone needs an official affidavit to the effect that they are actually living where they say they are, it's the junta de freguesia you apply to to bear witness. It isn't obligatory for all official dealings but it can be requested, so may vary from place to place as to whether you're asked for one in any given circumstance. They might occasionally do a little more than just asking you for your address to satisfy themselves that you are living there, if they're not already aware of your existence.

In light of which, however, it's not their brief to delve into origins or immigration status and therefore a bit puzzling that our new friend in need has apparently been refused one, with Brexit cited as the reason. This is a document that should be issued unconditionally to anyone resident within the freguesia boundaries, on request. It should be obtainable by undocumented migrants, for example (not that that has any bearing on the current circumstance under discussion - just an observation to demonstrate that it isn't contingent on anything other than physical presence).
I do find our freguesia a very friendly and helpful bunch, unlike the camara, who are a bit officious

Looking back, I'm not sure Vern has been to the freguesia office yet, I think the "council offices" he went to were the Camara, to try to register for residency and they told them they couldn't do that (which would be correct now and he is now following the right process with SEF)

He then went to the health centre to try to register for SNS, they would not let him enter because he did not have all the required documentation to register, one of which was the Atestado

Vern, you mentioned Slives, depending on where you are exactly, your freguesia will presumably be one of these: https://www.cm-silves.pt/pt/menu/580/freguesias.aspx
Old Dec 3rd 2021, 9:25 pm
Just Joined

Retired Engineer Vern is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Alan PT
I do find our freguesia a very friendly and helpful bunch, unlike the camara, who are a bit officious

Looking back, I'm not sure Vern has been to the freguesia office yet, I think the "council offices" he went to were the Camara, to try to register for residency and they told them they couldn't do that (which would be correct now and he is now following the right process with SEF)

He then went to the health centre to try to register for SNS, they would not let him enter because he did not have all the required documentation to register, one of which was the Atestado

Vern, you mentioned Slives, depending on where you are exactly, your freguesia will presumably be one of these: https://www.cm-silves.pt/pt/menu/580/freguesias.aspx
Hi AlanPT,
Thanks again for all the help, a bit confused as yes we went to the district council of Silves which l think is camara, but the freguesia on the web is the same place where we were sent by the council, CLAIM Centro Local De Apoio A Integracao De Migrantes who sent us back to the council offices!!! Will go back next week to find out for sure.
l am going to renew UK licence and hope they do not take too long, and also start the application to exchange for a PT one.
Old Dec 3rd 2021, 10:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Alan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Retired Engineer Vern
Hi AlanPT,
Thanks again for all the help, a bit confused as yes we went to the district council of Silves which l think is camara, but the freguesia on the web is the same place where we were sent by the council, CLAIM Centro Local De Apoio A Integracao De Migrantes who sent us back to the council offices!!! Will go back next week to find out for sure.
l am going to renew UK licence and hope they do not take too long, and also start the application to exchange for a PT one.
Yes, I think you are confusing who you are asking for what
(legal) residency - no council can help you with this (that process only works for EU citizens), you need to wait for your SEF appointment

atestado de residencia - this is (slightly confusingly) nothing to do with legal residency, it's really just a "proof of address". You need to go to the freguesia to get this (maybe it helps to write down what you are asking for and show it to them). You may still find that you need more docs for your SNS number, but since the notice at the health centre specifies this doc is required, you might as well get it now

With your driving license, I'd suggest getting your new UK license first. Wait until you have it, then start the exchange process, that will avoid any confusion

Don't stress too much, it gets easier as you learn who does what and you did absolutely the right thing by prioritising SEF first
Old Dec 4th 2021, 8:18 pm
Just Joined

Retired Engineer Vern is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi AlanPT,
Just to let you know that we applied for residency in the UK for Portugal, attended appointments in London at the PT embassy with all the relevant paperwork (shed load)
and this went to the PT consulate who sent our details and a mountain of paperwork to SEF in PT. Eventually after a few months our passports were returned to us with the residency visas in for 4 months stay with the instructions to arrange an appointment to SEF for a further 2 year residency.
We are only have been going to the council offices to obtain the atestado de residencia, this is required for the centro de saude so we can get our number which is needed for the medical for the driving licence exchange and also as well as most things this is needed when we attend the SEF meeting.
l am still at a crossroads as what to do regarding my UK licence or apply to IMT as we have not a residency card which l assume SEF will issue to us, but will have to come to a decision very soon
Anyway first thing am off to the freguesia on Monday to try and get this proof of address, so wish me luck!!!
Apologies if l have not explained myself in the previous posts, and many thanks again for your advise.
Vern
Old Dec 4th 2021, 8:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

appman999 is an unknown quantity at this point

Interesting the consulate told you to arrange an appointment with SEF for the first 2 year residency, I had thought they did that and it was in your 4 month visa. Good to know, thanks.
Old Dec 4th 2021, 8:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

appman999 is an unknown quantity at this point

Question, I thought all applications for Portuguese residency had to be through good old VFS not direct with the embassy/consulate, how did you manage to arrange those appointments?
Old Dec 4th 2021, 8:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Retired Engineer Vern
Hi AlanPT,
Just to let you know that we applied for residency in the UK for Portugal, attended appointments in London at the PT embassy with all the relevant paperwork (shed load)
and this went to the PT consulate who sent our details and a mountain of paperwork to SEF in PT. Eventually after a few months our passports were returned to us with the residency visas in for 4 months stay with the instructions to arrange an appointment to SEF for a further 2 year residency.
We are only have been going to the council offices to obtain the atestado de residencia, this is required for the centro de saude so we can get our number which is needed for the medical for the driving licence exchange and also as well as most things this is needed when we attend the SEF meeting.
l am still at a crossroads as what to do regarding my UK licence or apply to IMT as we have not a residency card which l assume SEF will issue to us, but will have to come to a decision very soon
Anyway first thing am off to the freguesia on Monday to try and get this proof of address, so wish me luck!!!
Apologies if l have not explained myself in the previous posts, and many thanks again for your advise.
Vern
As Red Eric mentioned, what you have now is a visa, which entitles you to stay in Portugal while you apply (your appointment with SEF) for residency. Whether this (visa but not resident) will be an issue in the meantime with the SNS or IMT, it's a bit hard to say, most people here don't have experience of this, as they came pre-brexit. But worst case scenario, you have to wait until you have the 2 year residency to complete everything, annoying, but not the end of the world

Hopefully you'll have no issue with the freguesia on Monday, maybe your issue previously was just being in the right location (which might even be a different desk in the same building) so you have the right council. I remember walking all around Peniche in the rain, going to four different council offices, only to eventually discover that where I actually needed to go wasn't even in Peniche

On the driving license, as reading a few threads here will tell you, the PT license exchange process is quite lengthy and unpredictable. So I'd really encourage you to extend your UK license as the first step if you possibly can, then you have some "breathing space"
Old Dec 18th 2021, 9:19 am
Happiest in the sun

Score76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond repute

https://algarvedailynews.com/legal/1...is-running-out