Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

TV reception on Intelsat 901

TV reception on Intelsat 901

Old Apr 2nd 2023, 8:58 am
BE Forum Addict

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TV reception on Intelsat 901

I sometimes find that when I first switch on, the sound lags behind the video by anything up to a minute and sometimes it is distorted. I switch to another channel and all is well. Then I switch back to the initial channel and it works properly again. The problem is mostly confined to BBC1 which unfortunately is our most viewed channel. I have used an Icecrypt box and a 90cm dish since we lost the programmes on Sky boxes many years' ago but this sound problem appeared during the last 6 months. Signal strengths are L95 Q90. Is anyone else experiencing this problem?
Old Apr 2nd 2023, 9:40 am
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

Not noticed that Bill. As I said before oddly, when I get the freezing or pixelating the audio continues perfectly and is still in sync when and if the motion starts again. I have the same box as you, but with an elliptical dish of 90cm wide and 100cm tall. I dont think its to do with the decoder box as I have 2 dishs, both same size, one pointed to Intel901 tother, pointed to the old Astra sat both cables going through a Manata Sat switch box on the roof. Then down one cable to the internal Icecrypt decoder, so the decoder gives both signals. I have never seen any issues at all from the old Astra sat, it will run perfectly even in the worst weathers.
Old Apr 5th 2023, 10:16 am
Forum Regular

Ajmandon is an unknown quantity at this point

I´ve had sound going out of sync ... normally seems to drift after several hours watching. A quick on/off seems to rest things for me. I don`t have a clue why. Happened with my icecrypt (now retired) and one of my Enigma2 boxes sometimes does it.

Now for RIV`s question re Subtitles !!

Many years ago whilst I was using an icecrypt, I supported the assertion that subtitles weren`t available .......... true for the old icecrypt but not totally correct!

I can confirm that using an Enigma2 linux satellite receiver it is possible to program it to decode and display subtitles from the 901 satellite !! ..... Initially I set myself the task of setting up one of these boxes as a "covid lockdown" project. I had read that with the right box I could have a TV electronic program guide (via internet) and use it as a timer to record and playback. Not straightforward and took some time to get it up and running using various guides/posts I found online but it worked well. Recently there have been some channel changes and whilst researching online came across some posts describing what was necessary to access subtitles. So whilst making the changes required to pickup the new channels I thought I`d investigate the subtitles. Now the bad news ....... one of the forum threads I initially used has the title " Enigma 2 and BBC/ITV at 27.5W Intelsat - A Big Challenge" .... BUT it can be done!
Old Apr 6th 2023, 7:51 am
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

Prob appears to have gone again as stable picture for over 4 days and nights now.
Nothing done to equipment, so can only assume it was atmospheric in nature.
Old Apr 6th 2023, 12:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ajmandon
I´ve had sound going out of sync ... normally seems to drift after several hours watching. A quick on/off seems to rest things for me. I don`t have a clue why. Happened with my icecrypt (now retired) and one of my Enigma2 boxes sometimes does it.

Now for RIV`s question re Subtitles !!

Many years ago whilst I was using an icecrypt, I supported the assertion that subtitles weren`t available .......... true for the old icecrypt but not totally correct!

I can confirm that using an Enigma2 linux satellite receiver it is possible to program it to decode and display subtitles from the 901 satellite !! ..... Initially I set myself the task of setting up one of these boxes as a "covid lockdown" project. I had read that with the right box I could have a TV electronic program guide (via internet) and use it as a timer to record and playback. Not straightforward and took some time to get it up and running using various guides/posts I found online but it worked well. Recently there have been some channel changes and whilst researching online came across some posts describing what was necessary to access subtitles. So whilst making the changes required to pickup the new channels I thought I`d investigate the subtitles. Now the bad news ....... one of the forum threads I initially used has the title " Enigma 2 and BBC/ITV at 27.5W Intelsat - A Big Challenge" .... BUT it can be done!
My sound problem is not a sync issue. The sound comes on after a delay of variable seconds and sometimes up to a minute but is then in sync with the video. However, the problem is not always present. These intermittent problems are always difficult to sort out.
Old Apr 13th 2023, 9:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

I am still experiencing problems with all 3 of my Icecrypt S1600CHD receivers and this has been going on for about 4 months. It is intermittent and can occur at any time of the afternoon or evening but not the morning. I switch on to listen to BBC1 and sometimes the sound does not accompany the video. With a bit of luck, the sound comes on after a minute or so. If I switch to another channel, the sound is there straight away, but not always. Unfortunately, the intermittent nature of this issue makes it difficult to isolate the problem. It appears to me that there is nothing wrong with any of my 3 receivers. Could it be a problem with my LNB? If no one else experiences the problem, then what has happened to my setup that was working perfectly until 4 months ago? Am I alone with this annoying issue?
Old Apr 14th 2023, 8:52 am
Forum Regular

1Steve is an unknown quantity at this point

Do you have more than 1 sat dish and a switch installed to run down 1 coax? I had a switch go wonky on me and the picture would come and go until it eventually failed altogether. I use an Amiko HD Combo for BBC on 110m dish and since I upped the dish size I have no problems.
Old Apr 14th 2023, 11:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by 1Steve
Do you have more than 1 sat dish and a switch installed to run down 1 coax? I had a switch go wonky on me and the picture would come and go until it eventually failed altogether. I use an Amiko HD Combo for BBC on 110m dish and since I upped the dish size I have no problems.
No, I have one 90cm dish, a twin LNB and 2 new coaxial cables feeding 2 of the Icecrypt receivers. The third receiver is a spare that I bought when the company ceased trading. The twin LNB is quite old, looks a bit faded but is apparently undamaged. If no one else is experiencing the same problem, I can only deduce that the LNB is due for replacement.

Last edited by BillBullock; Apr 14th 2023 at 11:07 am.