Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Travelling UK to Portugal August - NO problems at all

Travelling UK to Portugal August - NO problems at all

Old Aug 16th 2021, 9:25 am
riv
BE Enthusiast

riv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travelling UK to Portugal August - NO problems at all

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...y-relaxed.html

According to the above article in today's Daily Mail the legal requirement to isolate because you have been in proximity etc is no longer the case for the double - jabbed. In the UK anyway.

Old Aug 16th 2021, 9:32 am
BE Forum Addict

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by riv
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...y-relaxed.html

According to the above article in today's Daily Mail the legal requirement to isolate because you have been in proximity etc is no longer the case for the double - jabbed. In the UK anyway.
So far NHS Track and Trace have not sent my wife an update. I expect they are now overloaded with work following the change of rules.
Old Aug 16th 2021, 11:13 am
Happiest in the sun

Score76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chislenko
Perhaps we should lobby Brittany Ferries toots. I may sit down and email them today (dog sitting so not going far) If enough do it maybe they would reconsider.

It would as you say be nice not to have to deal with the Spanish legislation as well just to transit.
http://chng.it/JVQDkmXRFb
Let's get as many people to sign it as we can then share it with Brittany Ferries. It'd make the journey so much easier than it us currently.
Old Aug 16th 2021, 12:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

fergus is on a distinguished road

UK Gov announce today that people with double jab no longer need to isolate if pinged. Someone has seen sense at last.
Let's hope the gov require that they should test every day or every other day, for ten days, just to be sure.
Old Aug 17th 2021, 8:16 am
riv
BE Enthusiast

riv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Score76
http://chng.it/JVQDkmXRFb
Let's get as many people to sign it as we can then share it with Brittany Ferries. It'd make the journey so much easier than it us currently.
Isn't CHANGE.ORG about petitioning the GOVernment to do things ? Thus if you reach a certain number of signatures the proposition has to be debated in Parliament ?

I would be happy to email the relevant person at Brittany Ferries if I had any idea who that was or what her address was ............

But it's a commercial decision for them, not a Government legislation thing. I would have thought that if there was a good market for a car ferry from Portsmouth / Southampton to Lisbon in the 1970s then there would be even more of one now, whether to Lisbon or Porto.

I recall the Ferry ( the boat was called The Eagle ) was a pleasant experience........two overnights , lots of sea air, pleasant dining..........Really I would be surprised if there were not a market for such a service. Even if it were only once a fortnight in each direction, for starters anyway.

My fear re the Change.Org petition is that it will receive very few signatures, and that fact may encourage Brittany Ferries to continue resisting the idea.
Old Aug 17th 2021, 9:16 am
Happiest in the sun

Score76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond repute

Change.org is a global platform started in the US, it's nothing to do with any government. The idea is we share the petition with anyone and everyone we think it may be relevant to, email, WhatsApp, Facebook etc in order to get signatures up. If the interest is there then we share it with Brittany Ferries, I've found a few relevant contracts already on LinkedIn. If not, I can just as easily take it down. Hopefully they will engage and then as you say make a commercial decision. I bet they've never asked their passengers coming into Santander and Bilbao what their final destination is. I also bet a large proportion are travelling to Portugal.
Old Aug 17th 2021, 10:02 am
riv
BE Enthusiast

I am happy to have my misunderstanding corrected.

Have signed the Petition and indeed added my reasons for so doing ( no one else seems to have done this ).

I would suggest though, that you could v usefully re post this appeal as a new, standalone, post ' Bring back Ferry from England to Portugal '.

It should get a lot more support than as currently hidden away within a totally different topic.

Old Aug 17th 2021, 10:05 am
riv
BE Enthusiast

PS : Can we be sure as to what percentage of people getting the boat to Santander / Bilbao are in fact transiting to Portugal ?

I would have thought Brittany Ferries would already have asked all their paying passengers this question, to inform the decision as to whether to start a service to Porto. I know that a lot of people use it to transit to S of France, as a shorter drive than from the Brittany ports.
Old Aug 17th 2021, 10:53 am
BE Enthusiast

toots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond repute

Well we use B.Ferries frequently and have never been asked where we are travelling to. All they ask is where you will be staying in as much as "have you a home abroad."

I have been onto their facebook page and asked that they again consider a PT crossing. The port at Matosinhos is where they were looking. Almost straight on to the A28 and then A1 South. Less than 3 hours to home......................Brilliant!!
Old Aug 17th 2021, 11:56 am
BE Enthusiast

chislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by toots sweet
Well we use B.Ferries frequently and have never been asked where we are travelling to. All they ask is where you will be staying in as much as "have you a home abroad."

I have been onto their facebook page and asked that they again consider a PT crossing. The port at Matosinhos is where they were looking. Almost straight on to the A28 and then A1 South. Less than 3 hours to home......................Brilliant!!
I don't have Facebook so just emailed them via "New Booking" page. The problem is as already stated getting the email / Facebook post to the people that matter.
Old Aug 17th 2021, 12:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

toots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond repute

Got this back from them(B.Ferries) this morning.

"Good afternoon, We have received no further information regarding this service. Once we have any updates if this is something we will consider at a later point we will let all our passengers know with a message on our websites and in the newsletter."

Just from customer services,but not a definite NO.
Old Aug 25th 2021, 8:28 am
BE Enthusiast

sportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by riv
In case it is of use to anyone contemplating travel from UK to Portugal but apprehensive ( as was I ) about all the faffing around with Certificates etc., this is to reassure that there really isn't anything to worry about in terms of the journey.

Yesterday (11th) I flew with Ryanair from Newcastle to Faro.

Apart from the usual passport, I needed two x Documents.
1) The NHS Certificate of Vaccination ( which you can get sent to you for free in the post by dialling 119, so ask for it now if you are thinking of travelling ) and
2) The 'Fit to Fly' Certificate which you get when you book in for the Antigen ( also known as Lateral Flow ) Test ( the cheaper one ) one day prior to travel.

I got the second from NPH Group.
I chose them simply because they have a testing point at NCL Airport.
ttps://www.nph-group.co.uk

You book with them online, choose your five minute slot, pay online, and turn up on time. It takes just five mins ( the Q tip in the nose for a few seconds, not exactly fun, but not the nightmare I had envisaged if they had wanted to swab the throat - they DON't ).
And they email you the result, hopefully Neg.. But also, if you ask, they will print it out while you wait ten minutes.

The charge for this Antigen test is £39. ( or was it £49 ? I forget - anyway, a LOT cheaper than the PCR test, which luckily, Portugal does not currently require .)

I was still apprehensive that something would go wrong at either NCL or on arrival at FAO............But..........no...........you just present the two docs to RYANAIR on departure and to Passport Control on arrival, and there you are. I did not see anyone at all having any problems.

Choose your most comfortable mask as you do have to wear it throughout the airports and on the plane. ( Save when eating - they do serve food. )

Boa Viagem !
Hi Riv, excellent information. I am now planning to fly to the uk at the weekend and have booked my test for the outward journey. For the return trip I’ve heard that I don’t need a test in the uk as I’m double vaccinated and am a PT resident. Is this correct?
Old Aug 25th 2021, 8:33 am
BE Forum Addict

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sportpix
Hi Riv, excellent information. I am now planning to fly to the uk at the weekend and have booked my test for the outward journey. For the return trip I’ve heard that I don’t need a test in the uk as I’m double vaccinated and am a PT resident. Is this correct?
So long as you have an EU vaccination certificate, you do not need a fit to fly test result in the UK to return to Portugal.