Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Travelling UK to Portugal August - NO problems at all

Travelling UK to Portugal August - NO problems at all

Old Aug 12th 2021, 10:04 am
riv
BE Enthusiast

riv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond repute
Default Travelling UK to Portugal August - NO problems at all

In case it is of use to anyone contemplating travel from UK to Portugal but apprehensive ( as was I ) about all the faffing around with Certificates etc., this is to reassure that there really isn't anything to worry about in terms of the journey.

Yesterday (11th) I flew with Ryanair from Newcastle to Faro.

Apart from the usual passport, I needed two x Documents.
1) The NHS Certificate of Vaccination ( which you can get sent to you for free in the post by dialling 119, so ask for it now if you are thinking of travelling ) and
2) The 'Fit to Fly' Certificate which you get when you book in for the Antigen ( also known as Lateral Flow ) Test ( the cheaper one ) one day prior to travel.

I got the second from NPH Group.
I chose them simply because they have a testing point at NCL Airport.
ttps://www.nph-group.co.uk

You book with them online, choose your five minute slot, pay online, and turn up on time. It takes just five mins ( the Q tip in the nose for a few seconds, not exactly fun, but not the nightmare I had envisaged if they had wanted to swab the throat - they DON't ).
And they email you the result, hopefully Neg.. But also, if you ask, they will print it out while you wait ten minutes.

The charge for this Antigen test is £39. ( or was it £49 ? I forget - anyway, a LOT cheaper than the PCR test, which luckily, Portugal does not currently require .)

I was still apprehensive that something would go wrong at either NCL or on arrival at FAO............But..........no...........you just present the two docs to RYANAIR on departure and to Passport Control on arrival, and there you are. I did not see anyone at all having any problems.

Choose your most comfortable mask as you do have to wear it throughout the airports and on the plane. ( Save when eating - they do serve food. )

Boa Viagem !

Old Aug 12th 2021, 1:59 pm
Forum Regular

NataHH is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Travelling UK to Portugal August - NO problems at all

Thanks Riv for taking the trouble to post your experience on this forum. I personally would not have had the nerves to do the test at the airport. I need all my paperwork before I leave the house. Enjoy your holiday.
Old Aug 12th 2021, 4:06 pm
riv
BE Enthusiast

riv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond repute

Well that was my point also : I had an option to book the Antigen test for the day of flight, a couple of hours prior. But I was too nervous that something would go wrong on the day and I would end up missing the flight. That's why I booked it for the day prior to travel. Yes it meant a special journey to the airport but worth it for the peace of mind of having all the Documenta in order and in one envelope with passport for travel on the day purposes.

The threequarters empty plane was almost compensation in itself for the faff of having to get the Antigen test done and printed.

Old Aug 12th 2021, 4:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

Did you not need to complete the Passenger Locator Form for the Portuguese authorities and show it to Ryanair at Newcastle as well as uploading it?
Old Aug 12th 2021, 6:40 pm
riv
BE Enthusiast

I forgot about that. I filled that - the PLF - in online while checking in on the Ryanair site. I also printed it out and carried that Document with me.
However, neither Ryanair staff nor the gent at the Passport Control at Faro asked for it, so maybe the filling it in online thing actually registered with the Authorities.

The only Documents which had to be shown at both airports were the NHS Cert. of Vaccination, and the ' Fit to Fly' page printed out by the Testing people at NCL airport.
Old Aug 12th 2021, 7:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

Two friends returned to the Algarve on Tuesday and have just been notified that they were in contact with someone, presumably on the plane, who has since tested positive for Covid-19. They have been instructed by the Portuguese authorities to isolate for 14 days. The Portuguese Passenger Locator Form clearly helped the authorities to identify those at risk on the flight and issue isolation instructions.
Old Aug 13th 2021, 6:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BillBullock
Two friends returned to the Algarve on Tuesday and have just been notified that they were in contact with someone, presumably on the plane, who has since tested positive for Covid-19. They have been instructed by the Portuguese authorities to isolate for 14 days. The Portuguese Passenger Locator Form clearly helped the authorities to identify those at risk on the flight and issue isolation instructions.
That's worrying. My sister and her husband have just booked a holiday in Villlamoura for next week - we are meeting up. Does this mean they could have to isolate if someone on their flight over here tests positive?
Old Aug 13th 2021, 7:05 pm
Forum Regular

borisface is an unknown quantity at this point

My wife had to return to the UK last week on family business. Whilst the journey was fine, she was informed a few days ago by NHS trace and test through the passenger locator form that someone had tested on positive on her flight. Consequently, she has had to go into self-isolation for 10 days. She has had to change all her travel plans to return to Portugal including flights/tests/airport transfers and car parking at Lisbon airport. All of which has potential health and certainly financial implications. Fortunately, she is staying with a relative, although they are not particularly amused at the situation. I dread to think what would have happened if she had been on holiday staying in a hotel.
Old Aug 13th 2021, 7:36 pm
riv
BE Enthusiast

Does anyone understand the scientific logic of what has happened to your wife ?

I could understand if they said ' someone on your flight tested positive therefore you should get a test'. But why is it ' someone on your plane tested positive, therefore , even if you have been double jabbed you must now act as if itr were certain that you are Covid positive , even if you should test negative ' ?
Old Aug 13th 2021, 9:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

chislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by riv
Does anyone understand the scientific logic of what has happened to your wife ?

I could understand if they said ' someone on your flight tested positive therefore you should get a test'. But why is it ' someone on your plane tested positive, therefore , even if you have been double jabbed you must now act as if itr were certain that you are Covid positive , even if you should test negative ' ?
I have given up trying to find any logic in the whole situation.

We have full nightclubs, festivals, footie matches, grand Prix etc so I can't for the life of me see the point any more.

Obviously speaking from a UK perspective, be interesting to know if night clubs etc are open in Portugal?

Old Aug 14th 2021, 6:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Lou71
That's worrying. My sister and her husband have just booked a holiday in Villlamoura for next week - we are meeting up. Does this mean they could have to isolate if someone on their flight over here tests positive?
That's the risk you take unfortunately when you come here on holiday or return to the UK to visit relations and friends nowadays.
Old Aug 14th 2021, 7:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Sunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really nice

No, night clubs are not open in Portugal. Believe that is on the cards for October.

Old Aug 14th 2021, 8:00 am
Forum Regular

borisface is an unknown quantity at this point

The logic is quite straightforward. The virus is passed from host to host via breath droplets. The risk of transmission is greatly increased when people spend time together in close proximity in environments where fresh air is in short supply. A plane is one such environment. If someone on your flight returns a positive you are deemed to be a close contact regardless of where you sat relative to that person. The delta variant, which now accounts for virtually all cases in Portugal, is more transmissible than other variants and in many cases is proving that the vaccines do not in every case offer full protection from infection and less protection from one being able to transmit the virus to others. I do agree that it seems illogical to have large crowds at football matches etc although these are generally open air well ventilated spaces. Nightclubs hmmm.

I have read that the UK government is considering changing things again next week.
Old Aug 14th 2021, 9:58 am
riv
BE Enthusiast

I don't dispute those details............but if someone who was on the plane is contacted to be told 'someone on the plane was infected' why, if that person ( the contactee ) then tests Negative for the virus, should she have to self isolate as if she had tested Positive ?

Ok in theory the contactee may be infected despite testing Negative - but what about all the people she has been near since getting off the plane ? Everyone in the airport building ? The taxi driver ? The people on the bus to the station ? The family members of people on the bus ?

I mean, precautions, yes. But there have to be limits. And I would have thought that one limit woujld be saying, ' you were on the same plane as someone who tested Pos. But if you now test Neg you can carry on as before, cautiously'. Maybe testing for more than one day.
Old Aug 14th 2021, 10:01 am
riv
BE Enthusiast

PS I do think it is insane toi open nightclubs and similar crowded venue. At least until everyone have been double vaccinated. Maybe with the third, booster, jab as well.

But I don't think that people who test Negative should have to take the same steps as peopke who test positive, just because they were at some point not far away from someone who tested positive.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.