Plumbing Issue

Old Aug 25th 2021, 7:43 am
BE Enthusiast

sportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Plumbing Issue

Not sure what’s wrong but I have no water in the cistern in the loo in my bathroom. Water flows from the sink and the shower but nothing is going to the loo. I tried to take the top off the cistern to have a gander but it seems to be fixed. If any budding plumbers out there could offer some input it would be of help.
Old Aug 25th 2021, 7:56 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Plumbing Issue

Originally Posted by sportpix
Not sure what’s wrong but I have no water in the cistern in the loo in my bathroom. Water flows from the sink and the shower but nothing is going to the loo. I tried to take the top off the cistern to have a gander but it seems to be fixed. If any budding plumbers out there could offer some input it would be of help.
What make is the cistern? (maybe a pic or two...)

If it has a top- mounted button, you may find that rotating the collar will unscrew it and release the top. If your water is like mine, it will build up a deposit over time that either blocks the inlet valve or stops the float from working. Both are repairable, but first you need to get the top off!
Old Aug 25th 2021, 8:35 am
BE Enthusiast

sportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macliam
What make is the cistern? (maybe a pic or two...)

If it has a top- mounted button, you may find that rotating the collar will unscrew it and release the top. If your water is like mine, it will build up a deposit over time that either blocks the inlet valve or stops the float from working. Both are repairable, but first you need to get the top off!

many thanks. There is nothing to indicate the maker of the product anywhere that I can see. I tried to turn the flush button on the top but it’s pretty firm. My three most hated letters are DIY because if I try to repair anything I end up smashing it, so I’m not going for force the flush button
Old Aug 25th 2021, 8:44 am
Just Joined

spiggle is an unknown quantity at this point

I would suggest that you check if you have an isolating valve/tap leading to the cistern. These tend not to close completely and over time gather debri stifling the flow into the cistern. If this is the case replace it. Shouldn't cost more then a couple of Euro's. Hope this helps.

Spigs
Old Aug 25th 2021, 8:49 am
Forum Regular

coleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond repute

Low level cistern will have some plastic float operating water inlet valve - these often get a bit of limescale, sand, dirt and just need a clean. Take lid off, you can safely run without lid as it's just a cover with two removable buttons usually held to the inner central plastic plunger mechanism by one crosshead screw. Here's how - watch the whole video not the misleading first bit and draw a line with a marker pen across the buttons before removal to assist getting them back in the correct place when reassembling.

Last edited by coleio; Aug 25th 2021 at 8:54 am.
Old Aug 25th 2021, 8:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by coleio
Low level cistern will have some plastic float operating water inlet valve - these often get a bit of limescale, sand, dirt and just need a clean. Take lid off, you can safely run without lid as it's just a cover with two removable buttons usually held to the inner central plastic plunger mechanism by one crosshead screw. Here's how - watch the whole video not the misleading first bit and draw a line with a marker pen across the buttons before removal to assist getting them back in the correct place when reassembling.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xg9SAVudkyk
Wow! Thank goodness for YouTube! Thank you for sharing this. I will now search out my flat head screwdriver 👍
Old Aug 25th 2021, 10:08 am
riv
BE Enthusiast

riv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond repute

You might need some WD40 to loosen the outer round thing to get it to unscrew ( you do know that is anti - clockwise ? ) .
Old Aug 25th 2021, 11:56 am
BE Enthusiast

chislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond repute

That loo must have been a "job lot" back in the day as it is exactly the same one we have.

One problem with it we have have is that too many of the "quick flush" renders it useless and will not refill.

When this happens we give a "both button" full flush and it sorts the issue.
Old Aug 25th 2021, 5:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Many thanks for the help and advice. I’m incredibly fortunate to say that an amazingly helpful young man turned up with a toolbox and attacked the offending unit with gusto. There was a certain amount of ‘crud’ in the tank, which is now gone. As a bonus he also fixed my non-locking patio door and also the bathroom window that would not open vertically. I owe my friend and his lovely wife a debt of gratitude that will hopefully be repaid in good Portuguese food and wine 👍 I’m blessed to have such people as friends.
Old Aug 26th 2021, 7:31 am
Forum Regular

zoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nice

Off topic:

Since returning to Portugal I'm not only getting reacquainted with the Portugese language but learning many new English words too!
Bathroom = loo, toilet tank = cistern and counter-clockwise = anti - clockwise.
Old Aug 26th 2021, 12:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by zoff
Off topic:

Since returning to Portugal I'm not only getting reacquainted with the Portugese language but learning many new English words too!
Bathroom = loo, toilet tank = cistern and counter-clockwise = anti - clockwise.
I have some much better words than those to share but I couldn’t do so on the forum 🥱