Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Staying at least 1 year in Portugal?

Staying at least 1 year in Portugal?

Old Jul 18th 2012, 2:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

tombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nice
Default Re: Staying at least 1 year in Portugal?

I think I have awakened from a bad dream.

Is this really the Portugal I know?

The posters must surely be govt employees.?
Old Jul 19th 2012, 7:28 am
Forum Regular

Coati is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tombo
I think I have awakened from a bad dream.

Is this really the Portugal I know?

The posters must surely be govt employees.?

Yes of course I'm the Minister for Immigration or possibly the King of Siam lol

Last edited by Coati; Jul 19th 2012 at 7:34 am.
Old Jul 19th 2012, 8:25 am
BE Enthusiast

steve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud of

No Tombo, clearly the Portugal you know is one where you choose to ignore meer trivialities, like being legal, contributing to the system etc.
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 2:34 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Costa de Caparica: 2007-2010. Then Olivais, Lisboa: 2010-2017. Currently back in Cambridge, UK.
ah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Coati
Hi

Thanks for that, no problem, harsh nah, Im not the sensitive type lol
Incidentally I spent 13 years in Central Africa - beaurocracy/corruption, Portugal are just amateurs at it lol
This gave my ribs a tickle! In the five years that I have lived here, I always felt Portugal was amateurish - but never in the positive way you put it!
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 2:36 pm
Forum Regular

Coati is an unknown quantity at this point

Believe me my friend, believe me.

You never lived until your drive shafts spin out of your rear diff lol
Old Jul 24th 2012, 6:37 pm
Just Joined

LaineyM is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there, we have a 2nd home in Portugal and so have fiscal numbers etc. We are thinking of coming over to live for a year and rent out our house in UK. Does anyone know if we would have to get residency permit to do this? What about registering with a doctor etc. We also wondered where we would stand with bringing our car over from UK, ie road tax,MOT etc?
All advice appreciated!!
Old Jul 24th 2012, 10:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by LaineyM
Hi there, we have a 2nd home in Portugal and so have fiscal numbers etc. We are thinking of coming over to live for a year and rent out our house in UK. Does anyone know if we would have to get residency permit to do this? What about registering with a doctor etc. We also wondered where we would stand with bringing our car over from UK, ie road tax,MOT etc?
All advice appreciated!!
I was here for.... well lets just say "a while" before I got residency(a bit of A4 paper from the local council btw). So for a year I personally would not bother! I also seen a doctor a few times and had emergency treatment at hospital before I had residency. Although I believe things are a bit stricter in the Algarve.

Your car is a tricky one, you can only have here for 180 days and if you get stopped it could end up being hassle(register it here or take it straight back). Perhaps best to get yourself a PT or be prepared to make a trip back to the UK within the 180 days(your UK insurance coverage could also be a problem... I think many limit to 3 months)
Old Jul 25th 2012, 6:11 pm
Just Joined

LaineyM is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks very much! Do you know if a Portuguese insurer would insure a UK registered car?(or is that a silly question?!
Old Jul 26th 2012, 10:51 am
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

Thanks very much! Do you know if a Portuguese insurer would insure a UK registered car?(or is that a silly question?!
Not a silly question, if you don't know... "you ask" Unfortunatly the answer is NO. Only in the case of that you were legalising the car here and you had the document to prove it was in the process.
Old Jul 26th 2012, 9:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

brodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of light

there are UK insurers that will insure your car if you have a UK address. If you are over 50 then Saga comes to mind. Also in Gibraltar there is Columbus insurance who will also insure a British car, No doubts there will be droves of people who will tell you that doing this is illegal. I do not know but it is an option and you are the one to make your own decision
Old Jul 27th 2012, 4:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by brodev
there are UK insurers that will insure your car if you have a UK address. If you are over 50 then Saga comes to mind.
Had read this just the other day(not even with Saga is clear cut)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/p...ce-abroad.html
Old Jul 28th 2012, 4:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

tombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nice

Some years ago I was driving an export Belgium plated 4 x 4 in the Uk and Europe and that was covered at the time on a military policy via Guardian Royal Exchange,
Old Jul 29th 2012, 10:00 am
Forum Regular

somanyhands is an unknown quantity at this point

Our uk registered motorbike was insured legitimately, in Portugal, with Abbeygate (until we eventually got around to matriculating it last year)
I think Abbeygate are well known for insuring expats UK vehicles but can't comment on their current cover as we haven't needed to use them since.
Old Jul 30th 2012, 8:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Just a reminder during all this talk of insuring your UK car here... don't forget that maxium stay is 180 days, so ask yourself "am I willing to travel back during that time or deal with the potential hassle/costs if nailed by the the Police?":blink: