Speeding ticket

Old Aug 8th 2023, 12:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

appman999 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Speeding ticket

Just received Notification of a Speeding ticket (5 months after the alleged event) It is regarding a rental car but I was not renting that particular car until 5 days later!
I am supposed to pay or submit a defence within 15 days of the date of the notification but can't find a date on it?
Does anyone know a simple way of rejecting the notification (we are out of Portugal at the moment)?
I tried the ANSR website but you can only sign on with a citizen card.
I have notified the rental company as I assume the error started with them.
Old Aug 8th 2023, 7:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Speeding ticket

Originally Posted by appman999
Just received Notification of a Speeding ticket (5 months after the alleged event) It is regarding a rental car but I was not renting that particular car until 5 days later!
I am supposed to pay or submit a defence within 15 days of the date of the notification but can't find a date on it?
Does anyone know a simple way of rejecting the notification (we are out of Portugal at the moment)?
I tried the ANSR website but you can only sign on with a citizen card.
I have notified the rental company as I assume the error started with them.
Jumping in from the Spanish page.
If there is a speeding fine from a fixed camera there should be a picture.
Also the fine would have come from the hire car company not the Police (Ive had a few over the years in different countries) and the ticket goes to the hire company.
As long as you can prove you were not renting this vehicle or were even in the country then you should inform the hire company and refute the ticket.
Id also in any email etc state you do not approve them to charge your card for the ticket..
Old Aug 8th 2023, 8:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

There is a picture, the number plate is clear. As I said the car is one I rented 5 days later (and have documentary proof of that).

The fine has come from the Portuguese National Road Safety Authority to me personally, not the hire company.

There is no charge to my card, it is a fine I have to pay the government and if it is not paid timeously the fine rises.

As I said I have informed the hire company and hope they will deal with it but as the ticket is in my name I am also incentivised to resolve it.

My question was does anyone know a simple way of rejecting the notification as on the ANSR website you can only sign on with a citizen card.

Old Aug 8th 2023, 8:37 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

From my readings of the procedure, it looks to me like you have to send a registered letter to ANSR with the relevant completed form contesting the fine.
Old Aug 8th 2023, 8:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks. The notification outlines that process but it's slow and a PIA to do from the UK.

It does also mention doing it through the ANSR website but as I said you can't register without a citizen's card.

Hopefully the Rental company can resolve this problem (which I guess they must have caused)
Old Aug 9th 2023, 7:02 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

You can also access the portal with a Chave Movel Digital, which is something non-citizens can have (although as I understand it, some services which should be available via CMD are not always, or not to non-citizens).

Worth a try maybe if you've already got one or can set one up?

EDIT TO ADD Sorry, scrub that. Looks like although you could register that way on the portal, they send your password via post, so obviously not quick enough.

Last edited by Red Eric; Aug 9th 2023 at 7:16 am.
Old Aug 9th 2023, 7:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Red Eric, if nothing else it's motivated me to get my CMD (if and when I can set one up!)
Old Aug 9th 2023, 12:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond repute

On their website there are useful contact details, in particular an email address ( [email protected]​ ), so perhaps forward your email correspondence with the hire company to ANSR with your additional comments about your hire date and not-guilty status, and inability to log-into their website ... use a translator and provide both your original English explanation, and the Portuguese translation to avoid confusion.
ANSR

This is a useful page too - shows what you should have received so that you know it is not a scam??!!?? http://www.ansr.pt/Documents/Autenti...A7%C3%B5es.pdf

and have a look at the FAQ in English - there is a very small UK flag at the top of the main page which takes you to this page ANSR

noting Number 60. How do individuals residing outside of Portugal make payment of the fine and/or costs?
if you decide you have to pay while queries are going on. If you have a Portuguese bank account with access online, if you do need to pay the fine in the interim, you should be able to do it with the MultiBanco details provided on that form.

and Number 51. How can I challenge the administrative decision?
amongst lots of other items which do not concern you at all!

Good luck which ever way you chose to do it.
Old Aug 9th 2023, 12:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

I'll respond just for anyone who comes across this thread in the future.
Thanks for for all your work, I had found the English FAQs but it generally only repeats what is on the notification but in English.
Unfortunately I only found it after I'd translated the notifications!
1. Noted the email address, I intend to respond there once I have heard back from rental company. (I have heard from their legal department who say they are investigating)
2. I was pretty sure it was not a scam given the level of detail and the amount of work for €60 that I'm not going to pay anyway , but good to know. (The bank details on the example are the same as my notice)
3. Payment details are on the notice (inc for non-residents)
4. The process for sending a defence is also written on the notice which is what gave rise to my original question.
Once again thanks for all your efforts.
Old Aug 9th 2023, 4:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Barriej
Jumping in from the Spanish page.
If there is a speeding fine from a fixed camera there should be a picture.
Also the fine would have come from the hire car company not the Police (Ive had a few over the years in different countries) and the ticket goes to the hire company.
As long as you can prove you were not renting this vehicle or were even in the country then you should inform the hire company and refute the ticket.
Id also in any email etc state you do not approve them to charge your card for the ticket..
My experience when renting a car in PT and going through a fixed speed trap, the fierst I knew of it (after seeing the flash of course) was the Hire company contacted me.
They charged me e20 to give all of my info to the ( i think police). As I was a non resident at the time I received notification back in the UK of the offence.
So maybe depends if you were driving on a UK license or PT one
Old Aug 10th 2023, 9:04 am
Happiest in the sun

Score76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond repute

Since ANSR have no way to enforce or collect the fine from you in the UK, the notice you've received is little more than a strongly worded request for payment.
Old Aug 10th 2023, 9:34 am
BE Enthusiast

toots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond repute

Yes,but if he goes back to Portugal and is stopped for any reason,then he's going to be in a bit of trouble for non-payment.
Old Aug 10th 2023, 9:38 am
BE Enthusiast

And as I'm there several months a year, it's quite likely.

In any event as it is wrongly issued why take any chance?
Old Aug 10th 2023, 10:07 am
Happiest in the sun

Score76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond repute

I think you over estimate the level of inter agency communication.

I have experience with this kind of stuff. Before I moved to Portugal my company provided a whole bunch of tech solutions to a client who tried to monetise these unenforceable fines. They would buy up the data from forces and agencies all over Europe, anything, a parking ticket from Nice, a speeding fine from Berlin, anything where the person being fined or vehicle itself wasn't registered in that country. They'd pay a few pence in the pound for the data, anything was better than nothing for the authority selling it.

The rest was mostly automated. Various database lookups to obtain registered keeper details, followed by a strategy of official looking letters, text messages and emails to try and get the fine paid. If I remember correctly their payment rate was over 40%. None of it was actually enforceable.

I'm not condoning non-payment of fines, and in the OP's case it's an admin error at the rental company that's at fault. I'm just trying to provide reassurance, don't stress, it won't come to anything even if you don't manage to get it resolved. The left hand doesn't know right hand is doing within most organisations let know another one.
Old Aug 10th 2023, 1:31 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rambling archer
On their website there are useful contact details, in particular an email address ( [email protected]​ ), so perhaps forward your email correspondence with the hire company to ANSR with your additional comments about your hire date and not-guilty status, and inability to log-into their website ... use a translator and provide both your original English explanation, and the Portuguese translation to avoid confusion..............
Just one comment here, do NOT use Google Translate and expect anything useful - it's Brazilian rather than European Portuguese.

Use DEEPL instead - it's worth bookmarking it for any future needs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.