Reload this Page >

Solar PV - self consumption

Solar PV - self consumption

Old Apr 8th 2021, 11:28 pm
Forum Regular

RUFUS HOUND is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Solar PV - self consumption

Originally Posted by Score76
Pilotaboad, yes, that same 24h period produced 17kwh. Probably a more useful figure for you is 9349kwh. That's generation since install and they were installed June 2019. These are 305w JASolar connected onto Enphase 290w micro inverters. I've tweaked the specs each time I've put systems in for friends since. I'm now fitting 340w JASolar panels but a specific type that has the same peak output but better nominal generation just needing daylight rather than direct sunlight, and dissipates heat better, along with the next model up of inverter. For less money than I paid originally it gives a wider curve with a flat top.

I'm with Galp on their bihorario tariff, my day rate is 19.32ec plus iva. So you can loosely calculate how much I've generated to date as 9349 x 0.1932 x 1.2... 2167€. My outlay was 3 grand.
sounds very interesting score76 - do you have and spec sheets or links to the inverters and panels I could check out please
Old Apr 8th 2021, 11:51 pm
Forum Regular

Bill - I think you would have to change your usage habits, just as you have now to make use of the cheap night time rate.

Its all about adapting to make use the power when its produced and not giving the electricity company free juice.

for instance the pool pump could be ran during the day for free instead of at night, your immersion could heat up during day instead of at night, your fridge is on 24/7 , anyhow Im just repeating what I have said previously

only you can decide and it appears you have made you mind up it wont be worth it.

Old Apr 9th 2021, 12:03 am
Happiest in the sun

Score76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RUFUS HOUND
sounds very interesting score76 - do you have and spec sheets or links to the inverters and panels I could check out please
Sure, these are the inverters (IQ7+) I recommend:
​​​​https://enphase.com/sites/default/fi...s-DS-EN-UK.pdf

Paired with these panels:
https://www.jasolar.com.cn/uploadfil...2040601259.pdf

Old Apr 9th 2021, 12:50 am
Forum Regular

thanks mate - I will take a look
Old Apr 9th 2021, 6:33 am
BE Forum Addict

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RUFUS HOUND
Bill - I think you would have to change your usage habits, just as you have now to make use of the cheap night time rate.

Its all about adapting to make use the power when its produced and not giving the electricity company free juice.

for instance the pool pump could be ran during the day for free instead of at night, your immersion could heat up during day instead of at night, your fridge is on 24/7 , anyhow Im just repeating what I have said previously

only you can decide and it appears you have made you mind up it wont be worth it.
Correct. I certainly should not be investing in lots of PV panels for winter heating savings.
Old Apr 9th 2021, 3:20 pm
Forum Regular

you could perhaps consider solar thermal (evac tubes) - I dont know a lot about it but I have seen some systems that combine it with under floor heating.

I would suggest you might be better served getting more efficient storage heaters.

I agree that it should be down to the electric companies to best utilise solar especially in portugal which has so many daylight hours but because these private companies are creaming off so much money. electricity cost is going up rather than down and all the customers are paying extra to fund it. typically they have not reinvested to upgrade the network with better equipment - just took the profits and lined and their pockets.
Old Apr 9th 2021, 3:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

Underfloor heating would be very nice but you have to consider the disruption caused in an existing house with ceramic tiles throughout. We have had bathroom floor tiles replaced several years' ago and that was pretty messy and the dust migrates some distance into other rooms. To do the whole house, we would need to move out for the duration of the project and store at least half our furniture elsewhere.
Our night storage heaters are modern ones with controls to input and output as well as timers.
Old Apr 9th 2021, 8:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

We had underfloor heat put in when we renovated the house; once you're moved in, I doubt it could be worth doing.
the floor was jackhammered and removed, along with 12" of fill, creating a large hill of waste.
A 4" steel reinforced concrete pad was poured in (which adds a lot of strength to the structure of the house.
then 4" of insulation foam board.
then more steel and the tubing.
Then more concrete.
then the flooring.

Old Apr 10th 2021, 4:03 pm
Happiest in the sun

Score76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by liveaboard
We had underfloor heat put in when we renovated the house; once you're moved in, I doubt it could be worth doing.
the floor was jackhammered and removed, along with 12" of fill, creating a large hill of waste.
A 4" steel reinforced concrete pad was poured in (which adds a lot of strength to the structure of the house.
Then more concrete.
then the flooring.
Nice job there liveaboard, wish I'd have had the same forethought when we were changing all the floors here. Back boiler on the log burner, small circulation pump, would've been awesome.
Old Apr 10th 2021, 4:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by liveaboard
Then more concrete.
then the flooring.
What heat source do you have for the wet UFH ?
Cant believe how thick those electric cables are - have they used armoured cable?
Old Apr 10th 2021, 5:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

I did the wiring + plumbing, local crew did the hard work.
The wiring is inside plastic conduit tube, that's what you see.

At the moment we use an old oil burner I took out of another property; the plan was to use solar collectors but I've had trouble with permissions.
It's a terrible system and needs to be replaced.
With a water based system, once it's installed you can use any heat source, so it's future-proof.

A MUCH easier way is to lay electric heat pads, and a suitable parket floor. You'll gain very little height and that could be retrofitted without tearing your house to bits.

The system is very pleasant in use, and takes no living space away.

The burner is in the garage next door.

Old Apr 12th 2021, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

Pilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Most likely my lack of sleep but I'm struggling to understand

RUFUS seems to suggest you have a wet system and looking at your photo liveaboard I also thought it was a wet system, but you replied saying its terrible what you have and you want to replace with a wet system which seems like it's currently an electric system?

Agreed that electric mat system is very easy and not as invasive to install, however it does eat electricity and with Portugal prices it certainly needs to be a consideration.
​​​​​​​I have heard of passivehaus constructions using elec mat very well due to how little heating they require.
Old Apr 12th 2021, 10:15 am
Happiest in the sun

Originally Posted by Pilotabroad
Score do you utilise any sort of battery system?
I realise this is the usual major expense initially but I'm still interested.

As info I've put in other threads probably reads as contradicting I best explain...

I'm dealing with extreme scenarios.
An historical house that I'm forbidden to make any external changes preventing solar etc, plus no gas, that I intend to run as a small retirement business when it's time. It appears I'm just going to have to face huge electric bills with.

I also have a 2acre smallholding I picked up for little more than a new car that although no gas either is a perfect place to make the most of solar, grounsource, etc

I've plenty of experience from refurbs, rebuilds, but never anything eco etc so I'm on a learning curve
Pilotabroad, are the properties together? Could you use some of the smallholding to site solar, or even a wind generator, and run an armoured 5 core back to your main house?
Old Apr 12th 2021, 10:45 am
BE Forum Addict

It's a water based system, which works well; the part I don't like is the heat source that I'm using at the moment.

I was suggesting the electric for others, who may not find it practical to excavate their house foundation.

For a new build or full renovation, I definitely recommend a hydronic system like I have.

Heat with wood, pellets, heat pump, or solar. Any system is better than my stinky old oil burner.

Heating a home with solar collectors and a storage tank is an engineering challenge.

Old Apr 12th 2021, 3:35 pm
Forum Regular

Pilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Score76
Pilotabroad, are the properties together? Could you use some of the smallholding to site solar, or even a wind generator, and run an armoured 5 core back to your main house?
Sadly not, 2km away

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.