Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Solar PV - self consumption

Solar PV - self consumption

Old Mar 30th 2021, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

RUFUS HOUND is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Solar PV - self consumption

billbullock and score76 if you want to private message me with your comments Im fine with that !
Old Mar 30th 2021, 9:32 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RUFUS HOUND
billbullock and score76 if you want to private message me with your comments Im fine with that !
Continue to discuss the subject on the forum by all means but offering to complete work/touting for business/advertising is against the rules which means that this cannot be achieved in the PM system either.

Rosemary
Old Mar 30th 2021, 10:42 pm
Forum Regular

Can somebody please confirm what the max allowable solar pv system is for a domestic property - is it now 30KW

I am having great difficulty finding up to date acurate info on domestic solar - I guess this is the Portuguese way - they will get round to it when they get round to it.

Any links much appreciated

Last edited by RUFUS HOUND; Mar 30th 2021 at 10:51 pm.
Old Mar 30th 2021, 10:48 pm
Forum Regular

Thumbs up Re: Solar PV - self consumption

Originally Posted by Rosemary
Continue to discuss the subject on the forum by all means but offering to complete work/touting for business/advertising is against the rules which means that this cannot be achieved in the PM system either.

Rosemary
as the comments were deleted I did not know what they had written so sorry if any rules were broken
Old Mar 30th 2021, 10:57 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

as the comments were deleted I did not know what they had written so sorry if any rules were broken
You have not broken any rules so no need for you to apologise. The comments needed to be deleted due to rule 9 which also covers PMÂŽs. If the conversation ended up being by PM as you were suggesting and the rule was broken the members would have their membership terminated.

Rosemary
Old Apr 1st 2021, 10:29 am
BE Forum Addict

RichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond repute

Can somebody please confirm what the max allowable solar pv system is for a domestic property - is it now 30KW ...
I believe that (for grid-tied) you can generate twice your potĂȘncia contratada but can only feed in to the grid a power equal to your potĂȘncia contratada.

Of course the payback comes from not buying electricity that you were using anyway, so it's the panel(s) that deliver the first few hundred watts that pay for themselves first by powering your phone chargers, computers, clocks, TVs on standby etc. Thereafter there are steadily diminishing returns.
Old Apr 1st 2021, 2:56 pm
Forum Regular

so it all depends on what contracted power rate you have selected - This is one hell of a bizarre system to operate, if you have to make a rough guess on your max power need and if go above your contracted power band, a trip will turn your whole house power off!!!! WTF
Old Apr 1st 2021, 3:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

RichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond repute

Those limits seem reasonable to me if it's a system designed for self-consumption while grid-tied. If you're looking at generating wholesale power to sell to others the limits (and licencing hurdles) will probably be higher.

The sweet spot for self-consumption is somewhat lower than your peak consumption (which typically needs to be less again than your potĂȘncia contratada to avoid tripping). Your maximum feed-in might be half (?) your peak consumption rather than twice. There's no real value in buying another half a dozen panels just to allow you to boil a kettle a few times during the day.

If you have a sustained power hungry requirement such as pool filtration or borehole pumps it may be viable to set that up as a standalone off-grid solution.
Old Apr 1st 2021, 3:55 pm
Forum Regular

What limits are you referring to?
Old Apr 1st 2021, 4:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

The ratio between contracted power and allowable feed-in.
Old Apr 1st 2021, 6:17 pm
Forum Regular

ok - so if I am contracted to say 5kw - theoretically I can have a 10kw PV system but only export 5kw of that
Old Apr 1st 2021, 8:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

I believe so. But why would you want to generate as much as 10kW if you only want to pay to use 5kW (and are only actually using 5kW)?
Old Apr 1st 2021, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

it was just an example to see if I understood correctly - I would only fit 4 to 5kw anyway mainly to cover aircon

In the uk its easy - 4kw max for domestic production end of story.

Old Apr 1st 2021, 10:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget that the numbers supplied by the PV makers are largely fiction; you might get that much power at the equator at noon, or in outer space, but rarely on your roof.
If you install "5kw" of panels, you likely get half that or less, except for an hour a day, and that only if the sky is clear.
Old Apr 2nd 2021, 11:20 am
BE Forum Addict

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by liveaboard
Don't forget that the numbers supplied by the PV makers are largely fiction; you might get that much power at the equator at noon, or in outer space, but rarely on your roof.
If you install "5kw" of panels, you likely get half that or less, except for an hour a day, and that only if the sky is clear.
I've gone right off the desire to buy PV panels for producing electricity in the winter months since reading posts on this forum.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.