Ryanair.

Old Oct 24th 2021, 9:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

chislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ryanair.

Haven't flown with them for years but trying to search for flights and it doesn't want to let me.

Each time I put in Liverpool -Faro and hit go it then just gives random flights to Kaunas / Riga etc.

Doesn't even let me set dates.

Is it a situation whereby if you don't have a sign in you can't search?
Old Oct 24th 2021, 11:09 pm
riv
BE Enthusiast

riv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ryanair.

Are you actually IN the uk when you search with Liverpool as Departure airport?

I sometimes find that if you are not actually IN the country of departure the website seems to have some kind of block on allowing searches from elsewhere.

But yes, you would probably find it easier to do if you registered an account with them. Why not ?
Old Oct 24th 2021, 11:48 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chislenko
Haven't flown with them for years but trying to search for flights and it doesn't want to let me.

Each time I put in Liverpool -Faro and hit go it then just gives random flights to Kaunas / Riga etc.

Doesn't even let me set dates.

Is it a situation whereby if you don't have a sign in you can't search?
Left click your curser in the 'destination' box. That will bring up a range of countries in a drop down box. Left click on 'Portugal'. To the right you'll see a list of airports in Portugal, including Faro. Click on Faro and that will display above in your destination box, and will also cause a drop down dates box. Works like that for me, from Oz anyway. I'm not signed into Ryanair and I don't allow cookies, except the necessary ones.
Old Oct 25th 2021, 8:26 am
BE Enthusiast

chislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, in the UK. Used to have a log in with them so may try and find it or re register.

I was doing it on a phone maybe I may have to fire up that box that sits in the home office that rarely gets used nowadays! The day I finished work I went from everyday on a computer to hardly ever turning it on!
Old Oct 25th 2021, 10:50 am
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

You do not need to have a sign in, nor does it matter from where you log in from....if you are using a PT server (ie Meo) then the website will be in Portuguese, Just click in the top right where you see the flags and change to UK, then it will be in English and payment will be in £, other wise it will be in €.
Old Oct 25th 2021, 3:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chislenko
Yes, in the UK. Used to have a log in with them so may try and find it or re register.

I was doing it on a phone maybe I may have to fire up that box that sits in the home office that rarely gets used nowadays! The day I finished work I went from everyday on a computer to hardly ever turning it on!
I always use my PC and large screen for things like booking flights. It's so much easier to see what is going on and avoid mistakes. My smartphone is far too small even with my reading specs on.
Old Oct 25th 2021, 9:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Alan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond repute

Often companies won't make more than a minimal attempt to support mobile now, it's a PITA to do and doesn't produce great results. If you use mobile, download the app
Old Oct 25th 2021, 11:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Alan PT
Often companies won't make more than a minimal attempt to support mobile now, it's a PITA to do and doesn't produce great results. If you use mobile, download the app
Thanks Alan, probably what it is.
Old Oct 26th 2021, 8:42 am
BE Enthusiast

sportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BillBullock
I always use my PC and large screen for things like booking flights. It's so much easier to see what is going on and avoid mistakes. My smartphone is far too small even with my reading specs on.
Slightly off topic but I tried to send a small package to my daughter in the UK from the Lagos post office and was told I had to fill in a form to do so. I tried to do this on my phone but I could only find PT and no english language. The guy behind the counter tried to help me but eventually he gave up and got on to his PC from where he said he could find the English and so to try when I got home. I did manage to find the English on my Mac but try as I might I could not find this so-called form to be able to post the package and so gave up and I've brought it with me to HK from where I will post it to the UK next week. Sounds ridiculous but... I'm now on day nine of 14 days in quarantine and will send the package when I'm released. This will be one very well travelled package, and being a light sweat shirt it was probably made in China in the first place!
Old Oct 26th 2021, 4:20 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sportpix
Slightly off topic but I tried to send a small package to my daughter in the UK from the Lagos post office and was told I had to fill in a form to do so. I tried to do this on my phone but I could only find PT and no english language. The guy behind the counter tried to help me but eventually he gave up and got on to his PC from where he said he could find the English and so to try when I got home. I did manage to find the English on my Mac but try as I might I could not find this so-called form to be able to post the package and so gave up and I've brought it with me to HK from where I will post it to the UK next week. Sounds ridiculous but... I'm now on day nine of 14 days in quarantine and will send the package when I'm released. This will be one very well travelled package, and being a light sweat shirt it was probably made in China in the first place!
Hmmmm.... imagine speaking only Portuguese and trying the above in a UK post office......................................
Old Oct 26th 2021, 10:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

sportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macliam
Hmmmm.... imagine speaking only Portuguese and trying the above in a UK post office......................................
And your point is?
Old Oct 26th 2021, 11:50 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

And your point is?
My point is that the average Post Office clerk in the UK would not even be able to understand you, let alone try to help.....
Old Oct 27th 2021, 9:23 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macliam
My point is that the average Post Office clerk in the UK would not even be able to understand you, let alone try to help.....
Reminds me of a problem a couple of years ago when the UKPO asked me to send a utility bill to prove my Hungarian address.

Sent them a gas bill -

Addressed & dated in "english", main body showing so much at so much and so much at so much, totalled up, etc - and the final clue "GAZ" át the top.

Phone call from PO -

"What is this?"
"Utility bill"
"What for"
"Gas"
"How do I know that?"
"Word GAZ"
"That's not gas"
"Yes it is"
"Why isn't it in English?"
"Because it's a Hungarian gas bill"
"Sorry, it's not acceptable"

One bit of business the PO didn't get!

Last edited by scrubbedexpat142; Oct 27th 2021 at 9:47 am.
Old Oct 27th 2021, 9:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Expatrick
Reminds me of a problem a couple of years ago when the UKPO asked me to send a utility bill to prove my Hungarian address.

Sent them a gas bill -

Addressed & dated in "english", main body showing so much at so much and so much at so much, totalled up, etc - and the final clue "GAZ" át the top.

Phone call from PO -

"What is this?"
"Utility bill"
"What for"
"Gas"
"How do I know that?"
"Word GAZ"
"That's not gas"
"Yes it is"
"Why isn't it in English?"
"Because it's a Hungarian gas bill"
"Sorry, it's not acceptable"

One bit of business the Po didn't get!
LOL. Brilliant.
My main point was to agree with BB that trying to do important things on a mobile phone does not always work out well. And while I agree that a Portuguese person going into a post office in the UK and speaking his/her native language would get him/her absolutely nowhere (unless they were incredibly lucky), the website of the Portuguese post office, according to the guy behind the counter, is supposed to be bilingual. Sadly it's not bilingual enough and is lacking critical information.
Old Oct 27th 2021, 11:27 am
Resident Cynic

LOL. Brilliant.
My main point was to agree with BB that trying to do important things on a mobile phone does not always work out well. And while I agree that a Portuguese person going into a post office in the UK and speaking his/her native language would get him/her absolutely nowhere (unless they were incredibly lucky), the website of the Portuguese post office, according to the guy behind the counter, is supposed to be bilingual. Sadly it's not bilingual enough and is lacking critical information.
Sadly, that's not an unusual situation - quite often a site will provide a "path" in english but then switch to portuguese only at a critical point..... usually at the point that a translation would be most valiuable. However, at least they try, unlike the UK - when I returned through Stansted last week, the shuttle announcement recording was giving supposedly important information over the tannoy.... in english only, with zero attempt to aid non-english speakers.

IMHO, the greater problem in Portugal is the constant use of "expert" english speakers within an organization to provide translations, which variy from very, very good to almost unintelligible word-for-word dictionary translations (a la Google). There seems to be a belief that the ability to "get by" in spoken english is sufficient to provide such a translation....... but that's patently untrue. It also appears that the idea of "proofreading" such translations is beyond organizations - which, given the number of native english speakers at hand, is somewhat difficult to understand.

Although my wife has lived in the UK for over 30 years, she still uses some non-english english expressions, as do I in portuguese.... it's natural in a language that is not your mother-tongue. However, giving literal dictionary translations with no attempt to check whether the result can be understood, is inexcusable.

As I speak reasonable conversational portuguese (and have a portuguese wife to help) , I have actually offered to proofread "english" output free of charge to my local Camara and to various businesses over the past few years..... with no take-up. Indeed, one company got very snotty when I criticised their supposed english translation.... as if I was criticising the length of their di......gital presence.

Last edited by macliam; Oct 27th 2021 at 11:29 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.