Reload this Page >

Running Classic Cars In Portugal

Running Classic Cars In Portugal

Old Feb 7th 2018, 12:45 pm
Just Joined

111Robin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Running Classic Cars In Portugal

Originally Posted by mfesharne
The matriculation agent deals only with that....... You really need to use one reasonably close to where you are living in case Customs or others need to see the car.

We're near Figueiro Dos Vinhos & I used a very good agent in Pombal.
Cheers for that. I think I'll reprioritise my efforts into the more important aspects of moving first. I don't think the cars will be a show stopper. Finding a house I can afford with enough garage space......... different story. I don't need a luxurious house but I do want as big a garage/workshop as possible. The two don't appear to go hand in hand from my initial searches.
Old Feb 7th 2018, 2:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 111Robin
Cheers for that. I think I'll reprioritise my efforts into the more important aspects of moving first. I don't think the cars will be a show stopper. Finding a house I can afford with enough garage space......... different story. I don't need a luxurious house but I do want as big a garage/workshop as possible. The two don't appear to go hand in hand from my initial searches.
In what area are you looking?
Old Feb 7th 2018, 2:50 pm
Just Joined

I haven't really searched in detail yet. My only knowledge is from staying at my brothers apartment in Praia da Falesia each year for about five years. My passions are road cycling and classic cars. With regards cycling I always head north into the hillier areas therefore staying on the coast isn't a priority. I need to spend more time travelling around next time I'm out to get a better feel for what's available. I don't want to be completely remote but a quiet location would be preferable. Starting a small business might also be an option or working for someone involved with old cars. Lots of options and nothing set in stone yet.
Old Feb 7th 2018, 3:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Midgo
Jesus!

It has never ceased to amaze me (and that is something in Portugal) how the (successive) governments have managed to keep the car market so well closed and over-inflated by various tricky, delaying side-steppings away from the EU law.
Well, I guess I shouldn't be surprised, look how well Baroso did for himself.

My dad is a retired mechanic and now works at Manheims in UK, and some of my UK mates are motor business people, and when I tell them how much 2nd hand cars cost here they wont believe me (but at least they aren't so rusty )
and if the Jag was 1969 it would cost you 6700€
Old Feb 7th 2018, 3:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

Do you already have a classic that you want to import, if so what is it? If not, you would be better buying here, there's hardly a classic in the UK that's not been rotten with rust at some point, here you may pay a bit more but at least they've never seen rust!
Old Feb 7th 2018, 3:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't really searched in detail yet. My only knowledge is from staying at my brothers apartment in Praia da Falesia each year for about five years. My passions are road cycling and classic cars. With regards cycling I always head north into the hillier areas therefore staying on the coast isn't a priority. I need to spend more time travelling around next time I'm out to get a better feel for what's available. I don't want to be completely remote but a quiet location would be preferable. Starting a small business might also be an option or working for someone involved with old cars. Lots of options and nothing set in stone yet.
If you look in the more rural areas such as mine (Figueiro Dos Vinhos) you'll probably find plenty of 'quintas' aka farm houses with plenty of garage, barn & workshop space.
Old Feb 7th 2018, 4:10 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by gedscottish
Do you already have a classic that you want to import, if so what is it? If not, you would be better buying here, there's hardly a classic in the UK that's not been rotten with rust at some point, here you may pay a bit more but at least they've never seen rust!
I have a 69 Mini Cooper that I've owned for nearly 30 years. It's fully restored and I have a lot of sentimental attachment to it so wherever I go it will be coming with me. I also have other cars that I would like to keep but at a pinch would sell them on.
Old Feb 7th 2018, 4:14 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mfesharne
If you look in the more rural areas such as mine (Figueiro Dos Vinhos) you'll probably find plenty of 'quintas' aka farm houses with plenty of garage, barn & workshop space.
What's the likelihood of finding such a property that doesn't require a complete rebuild though ?. Over here there are so many old steadings that have been renovated into modern dwellings, is there a similar trend in Portugal ?. I'm not really interested in taking on a renovation project (unless it's a rotten old car !)
Old Feb 7th 2018, 4:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

What's the likelihood of finding such a property that doesn't require a complete rebuild though ?. Over here there are so many old steadings that have been renovated into modern dwellings, is there a similar trend in Portugal ?. I'm not really interested in taking on a renovation project (unless it's a rotten old car !)
Shouldn't be too much of a problem....... one of my neighbours is a local property finder & I've seen several of his places that fit that criteria & I also know of one place about 20 minutes from me that's 2 or 3 bedrooms, ready to move into & has garage space for 4/5 cars....... come to that, my place pretty much fits that description but it's not for sale! lol.
Old Feb 7th 2018, 4:37 pm
Just Joined

Sounds interesting. Would you be able to pass on any details of the property mentioned, or perhaps put me in touch with your neighbour ?.
Thanks.
Old Feb 7th 2018, 5:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

I've no commercial interest & I don't want to appear that I have so will send you a PM.