Road Tax IUC)

Old Jan 25th 2024, 1:49 pm
Forum Regular

NataHH is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Road Tax IUC)

We are currently in the UK and our Portuguese road tax will be due next month. We don't have an account with the financas.. Will they send us a renewal letter with reference details so that we can transfer the tax from our bank? Can anyone advise please?
Old Jan 25th 2024, 3:30 pm
Forum Regular

ARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Road Tax IUC)

Originally Posted by NataHH
We are currently in the UK and our Portuguese road tax will be due next month. We don't have an account with the financas.. Will they send us a renewal letter with reference details so that we can transfer the tax from our bank? Can anyone advise please?
AT certainly sends IUC payment reminders (including the payment reference) by email but I believe one needs to be registered on the portal in order to validate the email address before they do so which in your present situation is a catch-22.

As to whether they send out renewal letters by post I’m don’t know but someone else may be able to chime in and help.

If all else fails, you probably still have time to register on the portal and then you will be able to see the IUC payment information.
Old Jan 25th 2024, 4:22 pm
Forum Regular

We have just received an email from them - so they seem to have our email address. In the email they advised us to authenticate our email/telephone number. Unfortunately we failed on the their website but got stuck when they asked to choose either Authenticate with a Citizen Card or Digital Mobile Key which we don't have.Ihope they will email renewal details even if the email is not authenticated.
Old Jan 25th 2024, 4:33 pm
Forum Regular

ARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond repute

........Ihope they will email renewal details even if the email is not authenticated.
I doubt they will as it contains sensitive information.

My IUC is due every August and for the last 4 years I have received the reminder email on the 27th July. Prior to that it's been on the 26th, 28th, and 30th. Given that February is a short month, I think you would have received it my now if one was coming.
Old Jan 25th 2024, 5:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

Mine is January and I only got the bill at around mid-month.

Nata, I suggest you try to call financas for help; you probably won't get through but it's worth a try.

After that, just leave it until you get here and consider the fine a part of your traveling expenses.

I think it's 25 euros if you pay it before GNR catches you.
Old Jan 26th 2024, 8:05 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by liveaboard
[...]After that, just leave it until you get here and consider the fine a part of your traveling expenses.

I think it's 25 euros if you pay it before GNR catches you.
It's quite some time since GNR ceased to have had any role in checking for payment of IUC, and it became a matter solely between AT and vehicle owners, so they won't be of any concern.

However, not paying within 30 days of the due date will lead to the emission of a certidão de divida and initiation of associated coercion for collection. The vehicle can also be seized. Not sure how quickly any of those actions could / would be taken but thems the possible consequences.
Old Jan 26th 2024, 2:10 pm
Forum Regular

GrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond repute

We have just received an email from them - so they seem to have our email address. In the email they advised us to authenticate our email/telephone number. Unfortunately we failed on the their website but got stuck when they asked to choose either Authenticate with a Citizen Card or Digital Mobile Key which we don't have.Ihope they will email renewal details even if the email is not authenticated.
IIRC, the Digital Key is a one off code sent to mobile phone.
Old Jan 26th 2024, 4:07 pm
Forum Regular

Update. Today we received an email giving us options how to pay the road tax by the 19th February. So the earlier email was only to verify our email and mobile number. Don't they just love gathering more and more personal information. I want to thank everyone who contributed to my enquiry.
Old Jan 27th 2024, 9:34 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Just a mention in passing of something you may have overlooked. Not a lecture.

Until fairly recently, any individual with financial responsibilities in PT living outside the EU / EEA region was obliged to appoint a fiscal representative. A recent law change added the option to sign up for electronic notifications using a digital mail service (called via CTT) provided free of charge by CTT. If you haven't done either you might want to look into it - there are probably penalties for non-compliance, assuming your fiscal address as registered with AT is a UK one.