Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

re-exchanging PT drivers licence back to UK

re-exchanging PT drivers licence back to UK

Old Dec 12th 2016, 9:52 am
Forum Regular

Location: Costa de Caparica: 2007-2010. Then Olivais, Lisboa: 2010-2017. Currently back in Cambridge, UK.
ah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond repute
Default re-exchanging PT drivers licence back to UK

Just curious if anyone has done this. I exchanged my original UK drivers licence for a Portuguese one 3 years a go. If I was to return to the UK and become resident there - what happens when my PT-issued licence expires ? Do I exchange it for a UK one (like I did here in Portugal) or do I give DVLA my original UK licence details and hence have that renewed ? Bit confusing, I know...
Old Dec 12th 2016, 1:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

AliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: re-exchanging PT drivers licence back to UK

Originally Posted by ah207
Just curious if anyone has done this. I exchanged my original UK drivers licence for a Portuguese one 3 years a go. If I was to return to the UK and become resident there - what happens when my PT-issued licence expires ? Do I exchange it for a UK one (like I did here in Portugal) or do I give DVLA my original UK licence details and hence have that renewed ? Bit confusing, I know...
I emailed them once and they replied after a couple of days.

https://www.gov.uk/contact-the-dvla/y
Old Dec 15th 2016, 12:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

newintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nice

You send it to the DVLA and basically exchange it back - a far easier process than the other way around. You'll want to do it mega quick too, because car insurance gets very expensive when you have a non UK licence!
Old Dec 15th 2016, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Costa de Caparica: 2007-2010. Then Olivais, Lisboa: 2010-2017. Currently back in Cambridge, UK.
ah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by newintavira
You send it to the DVLA and basically exchange it back - a far easier process than the other way around. You'll want to do it mega quick too, because car insurance gets very expensive when you have a non UK licence!
Hadn't thought of that. Thanks. Even if the turn-around time at the DVLA is a couple of weeks, no worries as I can get by with a hire car during that time (if necessary).
Old Dec 15th 2016, 2:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Naaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by newintavira
Is there any problem in having both licences at the same time?
As far as I know you don't lose your right to your original licence while you have a Portuguese licence. You just lose a bit of plastic. It should be fairly straightforward to get a replacement copy.
I am in the process of doing that for the Australian licence that I "exchanged" a month or so ago.
Old Dec 15th 2016, 2:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Naaling
As far as I know you don't lose your right to your original licence while you have a Portuguese licence. You just lose a bit of plastic. It should be fairly straightforward to get a replacement copy.
I am in the process of doing that for the Australian licence that I "exchanged" a month or so ago.
Also a good point. I've just had a closer look at mine. The photo side shows the EU flag with th letter "P" and number 4a shows that it was issued by the IMTT in Lisboa. However, on reverse side, number 12, down the bottom left hand side still shows my FULL original UK licence number - with just two extra digits infront and 4 digits after. Either way, the DVLA will have received my UK card when I exchanged it 3 years a go - so they'll have a record of it still. I guess it will be a case of having it re-issued, but now showing the new UK address (which I haven't got yet!). Until the address is sorted - I will have to continue using the PT exchanged one. Will find out about Insurance situation through insurance companies. Easier once I'm there I guess.
Old Dec 15th 2016, 9:16 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

You complete Form D1 and tick to exchange a foreign licence but you should also give your full UK driving licence number in the relevant box. That way the DVLA can find your previous test pass results on their system and issue your new GB licence with the correct entitlements.
Old Dec 16th 2016, 6:09 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Naaling
Yes, there is a problem with that - it's not legal to hold both at the same time, even if it is somehow possible to obtain them. Doing so would be considered driving licence fraud.
Old Dec 16th 2016, 9:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Naaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric
Yes, there is a problem with that - it's not legal to hold both at the same time, even if it is somehow possible to obtain them. Doing so would be considered driving licence fraud.
Yes, I thought that might be a problem between EU countries, under EU law. (You have to be licensed by your country of residence - that's why my original post started with a question and not a statement).
However, Australia couldn't care less. I explained the circumstances to them, and they were quite happy to issue a replacement.
Old Dec 16th 2016, 9:38 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BritInParis
You complete Form D1 and tick to exchange a foreign licence but you should also give your full UK driving licence number in the relevant box. That way the DVLA can find your previous test pass results on their system and issue your new GB licence with the correct entitlements.
Concise and to the point as usual! Thank you. Hope that clears it up for everyone. For me, its question answered!