British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Portugal (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/)
-   -   re-exchanging PT drivers licence back to UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/re-exchanging-pt-drivers-licence-back-uk-888725/)

ah207 Dec 12th 2016 9:52 am

re-exchanging PT drivers licence back to UK

Just curious if anyone has done this. I exchanged my original UK drivers licence for a Portuguese one 3 years a go. If I was to return to the UK and become resident there - what happens when my PT-issued licence expires ? Do I exchange it for a UK one (like I did here in Portugal) or do I give DVLA my original UK licence details and hence have that renewed ? Bit confusing, I know...

AliceCaroline Dec 12th 2016 1:13 pm

Re: re-exchanging PT drivers licence back to UK

Originally Posted by ah207 (Post 12127273)
Just curious if anyone has done this. I exchanged my original UK drivers licence for a Portuguese one 3 years a go. If I was to return to the UK and become resident there - what happens when my PT-issued licence expires ? Do I exchange it for a UK one (like I did here in Portugal) or do I give DVLA my original UK licence details and hence have that renewed ? Bit confusing, I know...

I emailed them once and they replied after a couple of days.

https://www.gov.uk/contact-the-dvla/y

newintavira Dec 15th 2016 12:08 pm

You send it to the DVLA and basically exchange it back - a far easier process than the other way around. You'll want to do it mega quick too, because car insurance gets very expensive when you have a non UK licence!

ah207 Dec 15th 2016 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by newintavira (Post 12129714)
You send it to the DVLA and basically exchange it back - a far easier process than the other way around. You'll want to do it mega quick too, because car insurance gets very expensive when you have a non UK licence!

Hadn't thought of that. Thanks. Even if the turn-around time at the DVLA is a couple of weeks, no worries as I can get by with a hire car during that time (if necessary).

Naaling Dec 15th 2016 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by newintavira (Post 12129714)

Is there any problem in having both licences at the same time?
As far as I know you don't lose your right to your original licence while you have a Portuguese licence. You just lose a bit of plastic. It should be fairly straightforward to get a replacement copy.
I am in the process of doing that for the Australian licence that I "exchanged" a month or so ago.

ah207 Dec 15th 2016 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by Naaling (Post 12129790)
As far as I know you don't lose your right to your original licence while you have a Portuguese licence. You just lose a bit of plastic. It should be fairly straightforward to get a replacement copy.
I am in the process of doing that for the Australian licence that I "exchanged" a month or so ago.

Also a good point. I've just had a closer look at mine. The photo side shows the EU flag with th letter "P" and number 4a shows that it was issued by the IMTT in Lisboa. However, on reverse side, number 12, down the bottom left hand side still shows my FULL original UK licence number - with just two extra digits infront and 4 digits after. Either way, the DVLA will have received my UK card when I exchanged it 3 years a go - so they'll have a record of it still. I guess it will be a case of having it re-issued, but now showing the new UK address (which I haven't got yet!). Until the address is sorted - I will have to continue using the PT exchanged one. Will find out about Insurance situation through insurance companies. Easier once I'm there I guess.

BritInParis Dec 15th 2016 9:16 pm

You complete Form D1 and tick to exchange a foreign licence but you should also give your full UK driving licence number in the relevant box. That way the DVLA can find your previous test pass results on their system and issue your new GB licence with the correct entitlements.

Red Eric Dec 16th 2016 6:09 am

Originally Posted by Naaling (Post 12129790)

Yes, there is a problem with that - it's not legal to hold both at the same time, even if it is somehow possible to obtain them. Doing so would be considered driving licence fraud.

Naaling Dec 16th 2016 9:32 am

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12130341)
Yes, there is a problem with that - it's not legal to hold both at the same time, even if it is somehow possible to obtain them. Doing so would be considered driving licence fraud.

Yes, I thought that might be a problem between EU countries, under EU law. (You have to be licensed by your country of residence - that's why my original post started with a question and not a statement).
However, Australia couldn't care less. I explained the circumstances to them, and they were quite happy to issue a replacement.

ah207 Dec 16th 2016 9:38 am

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12130103)
You complete Form D1 and tick to exchange a foreign licence but you should also give your full UK driving licence number in the relevant box. That way the DVLA can find your previous test pass results on their system and issue your new GB licence with the correct entitlements.

Concise and to the point as usual! Thank you. Hope that clears it up for everyone. For me, its question answered! :goodpost: