Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

prov driving licence with intern driving licencece

prov driving licence with intern driving licencece

Old Nov 29th 2019, 7:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Pilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the rough
Default prov driving licence with intern driving licencece

We all know that when you change your foreign driving licence for a Portuguese one it takes ............. too long.
People that need to travel in the meantime to another country can buy an international driving licence (EUR 50) to be able to drive legally outside PT.

On a Dutch forum there is a discussion going on about this.
It seems to be illegal to drive outside PT with the international driving licence (together with the (valid) provisionary driving licence from the IMT). The consequence would be that you drive illegally AND un-insured.

I don't know, but the ACP is selling lots of international driving licences on the base of this 'paper' from the IMT. Are they just making money although they know you cannot drive legally with it? I don't want to believe that this is the case.

Maybe someone knows more about this?

Thanks
Old Nov 29th 2019, 11:08 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: prov driving licence with intern driving licencece

Asfar as I know, provisional driving licenses are only legal in the country they have been issued by. UK ones are certainly only valid in the UK, an IDP ISN'T a driving license, it's only a translation of the national one.