Reload this Page >

Problem in Algarve ?

Problem in Algarve ?

Old Jun 12th 2011, 5:45 pm
Just Joined

micmc47 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Problem in Algarve ?

Originally Posted by boobella
I agree with joao and tombo on this, for most expats ignorance is bliss, they don't speak the language, read papers etc so they don't know what goes on, this would be the same in the UK if you did not speak the language, read papers etc

the poor chap who died in a fight in a Middlesborough pub was not reported in the Portuguese press because it happen in the UK, the chap who got killed in Portugal was from the UK and that is why it hit the UK headlines, thousands of brits come here on their holidays!

as max says if you are a bit older, you keep away from these places or rough areas, but when you are on your holidays or a brit who lives here you are always a target for mugging just like any other place, even if you speak the language they know you are not Portuguese and that means you have money

it depends on where you live in the UK, there are lots of lovely safe places but the news is always doom and gloom and most people believe it

I am sorry to say that I would rather walk home from a night out where I lived in the UK than Tavira

a lot of kids in the uk get bad press, so like any kid at that age you just stick two fingers up and live up to it

it is society that has failed them

i love both the uk and Portugal but sometimes I ask myself, if Portugal did not have the sun would I live here?
"Ignorance is bliss?" Nice. Just check some independent stats, as on Civitas. Rate of violent assault per 100k population is 5 times higher in England and Wales than in Portugal, and 12 times higher in Scotland. Is that "ignorant" enough for you?
Old Jun 12th 2011, 6:14 pm
Just Joined

Hairy feet is an unknown quantity at this point

Just out of curiosity I searched crime stats for Middlesbrough, and for Redcar near Middlesbrough on one day earlier this year.

Middlesbrough, 14 assaults recorded by the Police in 24hrs.

Redcar, 8 assaults recorded by the Police in 24 hours.

Virtually all of them happened between the hours of 8pm and 8am the following morning, and most of them in the 'party' areas of town. So I guess its a global problem, probably partly associated with drink and partly robbery/muggings. I wonder how many others didn't require a Police presence.

So in reality, although there may have been an increase in the Algarve, maybe Portugal is still far safer.

... only 3 and a 1/2 days till our next visit...
Old Jun 12th 2011, 6:25 pm
Just Joined

tigerfriday is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't forget to pack your flak jacket and can of pepper spray!
Old Jun 12th 2011, 6:40 pm
Just Joined

micmc47 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tigerfriday
Don't forget to pack your flak jacket and can of pepper spray!
Stick to sun screen and mozzy spray...:-)
Old Jun 12th 2011, 7:53 pm

Cleri is an unknown quantity at this point

At all of this.
Old Jun 12th 2011, 11:30 pm
Banned

naladogs has a brilliant futurenaladogs has a brilliant futurenaladogs has a brilliant futurenaladogs has a brilliant futurenaladogs has a brilliant futurenaladogs has a brilliant futurenaladogs has a brilliant futurenaladogs has a brilliant future

I have been told that some of the problems in Albufeira are due to drug problems and that there is a shop that you can legally buy a herbal product that can give you an extreme high. The police know about it but are unable to do much about it.

I have heard that the people who run this shop are hoping to open other outlets in the Algarve.

That is what I have heard and it came from a pretty reliable source.
Old Jun 13th 2011, 7:39 am
Not So Senior Member!

max0603 has a reputation beyond reputemax0603 has a reputation beyond reputemax0603 has a reputation beyond reputemax0603 has a reputation beyond reputemax0603 has a reputation beyond reputemax0603 has a reputation beyond reputemax0603 has a reputation beyond reputemax0603 has a reputation beyond reputemax0603 has a reputation beyond reputemax0603 has a reputation beyond reputemax0603 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by naladogs
I have been told that some of the problems in Albufeira are due to drug problems and that there is a shop that you can legally buy a herbal product that can give you an extreme high. The police know about it but are unable to do much about it.

I have heard that the people who run this shop are hoping to open other outlets in the Algarve.

That is what I have heard and it came from a pretty reliable source.
The shop is called head something or other. It's located in the old town opposite the bus station. Only sells 'legal highs' ie. stuff out of test tubes.

Run by a couple of Russians. They only sell whats available legally on the web. Mr GNR are frequent visitors as are the town hall officials.
Old Jun 13th 2011, 7:42 am
Account Closed

boobella is an unknown quantity at this point

I am surprised I thought it would have be a lot higher with what goes on in all the cities and towns at weekends in the UK (Rate of violent assault per 100k population is 5 times higher in England and Wales than in Portugal) ......There are lies, dammed lies and statistics

Maybe if the GNR were proper police and stopped sitting at roundabouts and pulling people over, giving them tickets for the wrong type of tyres or any other silly thing they can find you would see those stats go up.

yes ignorance is bliss

hairy feet.......I am sure you will have a great holiday, Portugal is a safe place, like anywhere you just need to be sensible

but just to be on the safe side I would bring an oozie if I was you
Old Jun 14th 2011, 8:17 am
BE Enthusiast

BlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hayles
My wife's friends have recently returned from Carruella (spelt wrong), Spain (close to Malaga) one of them was mugged on the way home. When then went to the police they said there have been 100's of muggings and blamed the Moor's.

Would the Moors be in Tavira? What where the circumstances of the 3 muggings in Tavira - daytime, late at nite, singling out females?
The Moors..

The Moors are simply islamic North Africans.. Tunisans, Morrocans, Algerians..take your pick . They were expelled from Spain and Portugal after the Reconquista but many are now immigrating to Europe and choosing Spain and Portugal. Their own countries being in economic chaos and lacking of freedoms which their islamic based governments and culture impose on them.

The Spanish granted a blanket amnesty twice in the last 11 years which allowed all these fellows to reside in the country. They have come over with their own culture and attitudes which will not change so it wouldn't suprise me if they are now a problem in Spain. I was in the Lisbon area recently and didn't notice this problem i.e groups of Moorish youths prowling the streets. I think the UK has a bigger problem with people of Pakistani descent and even Moors compared to Portugal. Still nowhere as bad as France though where there are huge numbers of Moors.

I hope the Portuguese will nip the problem in the bud but with Italians happily granting Moors admittance into the EU and then telling them to keep moving this will be harder for the Portuguese authorities to do.

Last edited by BlackBeardie; Jun 14th 2011 at 8:32 am.
Old Jun 14th 2011, 8:20 am
BE Enthusiast

BlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cleri
At all of this.
It's because you are in your bubble Cleri..
Old Jun 14th 2011, 2:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

tombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nice

Intervention police lifted two villians last night in Albufeira. Residents of Ferreira.

Both got form. drug dealing, theft and robbery.
Old Jun 14th 2011, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Costa de Caparica: 2007-2010. Then Olivais, Lisboa: 2010-2017. Currently back in Cambridge, UK.
ah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BlackBeardie
The Moors..

The Moors are simply islamic North Africans.. Tunisans, Morrocans, Algerians..take your pick . They were expelled from Spain and Portugal after the Reconquista but many are now immigrating to Europe and choosing Spain and Portugal. Their own countries being in economic chaos and lacking of freedoms which their islamic based governments and culture impose on them.

The Spanish granted a blanket amnesty twice in the last 11 years which allowed all these fellows to reside in the country. They have come over with their own culture and attitudes which will not change so it wouldn't suprise me if they are now a problem in Spain. I was in the Lisbon area recently and didn't notice this problem i.e groups of Moorish youths prowling the streets. I think the UK has a bigger problem with people of Pakistani descent and even Moors compared to Portugal. Still nowhere as bad as France though where there are huge numbers of Moors.

I hope the Portuguese will nip the problem in the bud but with Italians happily granting Moors admittance into the EU and then telling them to keep moving this will be harder for the Portuguese authorities to do.
Yep - whenever there's a social problem (if it is related with alcohol fuelled violence, drugs, vandalism, vomiting on pavements on Friday and Saturday nights, smashing bus stops and telephone boxes, fighting on the football terraces etc), it must be the Moors.

As for people of Pakistani descent, I wish they'd stop being heart surgeons, medics, nurses, headmasters, lecturers, teachers, cleaners etc and just go back to being the problem you think they are.

Anyway, I'm glad that when European colonists settled far and wide during the Age of Empire, they ALWAYS adopted the culture and customs of indiginous people instead of forcing their own system of laws/religion/politics on them.

*tongue firmly in cheek*
Old Jun 14th 2011, 4:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ah207
Yep - whenever there's a social problem (if it is related with alcohol fuelled violence, drugs, vandalism, vomiting on pavements on Friday and Saturday nights, smashing bus stops and telephone boxes, fighting on the football terraces etc), it must be the Moors.

As for people of Pakistani descent, I wish they'd stop being heart surgeons, medics, nurses, headmasters, lecturers, teachers, cleaners etc and just go back to being the problem you think they are.

Anyway, I'm glad that when European colonists settled far and wide during the Age of Empire, they ALWAYS adopted the culture and customs of indiginous people instead of forcing their own system of laws/religion/politics on them.

*tongue firmly in cheek*
Remain 'tongue in cheek' about this all you want. At the end of the day one of the reasons Portugal is a great place to live in is because they got rid of the islamic culture imposed by the Moors. If you are so keen on it feel free to move to Saudi or even the UK which is slowly being islamified by stealth.

And no thanks. I wouldn't want my headmaster wearing pyjamas or a doctor wearing a hijab.

So count your blessing.
Old Jun 14th 2011, 5:48 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Costa de Caparica: 2007-2010. Then Olivais, Lisboa: 2010-2017. Currently back in Cambridge, UK.
ah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BlackBeardie
Remain 'tongue in cheek' about this all you want. At the end of the day one of the reasons Portugal is a great place to live in is because they got rid of the islamic culture imposed by the Moors. If you are so keen on it feel free to move to Saudi or even the UK which is slowly being islamified by stealth.

And no thanks. I wouldn't want my headmaster wearing pyjamas or a doctor wearing a hijab.

So count your blessing.
First of all, I´m NOT keen on ANY religion! I don´t much care for mosques, churches, temples, synagogues or any other place of worship (though architecturally they may be intersting buildings). So I have no intention of ever living in a non-secular society. But I´m curious as to which film/TV program/comedy sketch did you see a heamaster wearing pyjamas, or doctor wearing a hijab ? Two Ronnies maybe ? There was a Spike Milligan sketch once where a Dalek wore a turban - but it may not have been Moorish. You need to get into hospitals a bit more - trust me, more patients pyjamas than doctors!

I jest. Yes, I count my blessings for living somewhere where there is freedom of expression, and we are not oppressed by any religion. Unless you count queuing up in Mini Preco as oppression - but don´t get me started on that. I tell you what, every time I have to go to the loja do cidadao and have to wait an eternity for yet another form to be stamped, I do wonder if it wouldn´t be easier in Saudi Arabia! I mean I lifetime of oppression can´t be as bad as spending a day dealing with Portuguese bureacracy, right ? Its a close call. *cheers*
Old Jun 14th 2011, 7:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ah207
First of all, I´m NOT keen on ANY religion! I don´t much care for mosques, churches, temples, synagogues or any other place of worship (though architecturally they may be intersting buildings). So I have no intention of ever living in a non-secular society. But I´m curious as to which film/TV program/comedy sketch did you see a heamaster wearing pyjamas, or doctor wearing a hijab ? Two Ronnies maybe ? There was a Spike Milligan sketch once where a Dalek wore a turban - but it may not have been Moorish. You need to get into hospitals a bit more - trust me, more patients pyjamas than doctors!

I jest. Yes, I count my blessings for living somewhere where there is freedom of expression, and we are not oppressed by any religion. Unless you count queuing up in Mini Preco as oppression - but don´t get me started on that. I tell you what, every time I have to go to the loja do cidadao and have to wait an eternity for yet another form to be stamped, I do wonder if it wouldn´t be easier in Saudi Arabia! I mean I lifetime of oppression can´t be as bad as spending a day dealing with Portuguese bureacracy, right ? Its a close call. *cheers*
I look forward to the joys of dealing with Portuguese bureacracy . Still as you say it's the lesser of the two evils.

You are right, I do need to go out much more than I currently do but let me assure you that there are hijab wearing doctors workign in the NHS. I have seen at least two with my own two eyes and no, I am not blind as yet. It's rediculous!

"The General Medical Council has said that female Muslim doctors must be prepared to remove their veil to treat patients effectively as religious clothing must not be a barrier to good care.

The guidelines say women can wear the hijab which covers the head and hair but not the face. "

from http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/he...-guidance.html

As for pyjama wearing headmasters... I am sure you find these in some of the islamic schools sprouting up everywhere but I cannot verify this

So saudé and Viva Portugal e Afonso Henriques! A son of Guimarães.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.