Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Pre-Payment petrol pumps

Pre-Payment petrol pumps

Old Jun 22nd 2021, 8:49 pm
Forum Regular

J00ls is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Pre-Payment petrol pumps

Does anyone know the reason for all the prepayment petrol pumps in the Algarve? All of them have a notice stuck to the pumps that says 'Bombas em pre-pagamento/Prepayment. I am getting so fed up with having to go in and explain (in my rubbish Portuguese) that I want to fill the tank - or trying to guess how much it will cost. Is making off without payment really such a problem here?
Old Jun 22nd 2021, 9:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pre-Payment petrol pumps

Originally Posted by J00ls
Does anyone know the reason for all the prepayment petrol pumps in the Algarve? All of them have a notice stuck to the pumps that says 'Bombas em pre-pagamento/Prepayment. I am getting so fed up with having to go in and explain (in my rubbish Portuguese) that I want to fill the tank - or trying to guess how much it will cost. Is making off without payment really such a problem here?
I first came across this on the E1 /A-49 on the Spanish side of the bridge
Old Jun 22nd 2021, 9:33 pm
Forum Regular

bicabica has a spectacular aura aboutbicabica has a spectacular aura aboutbicabica has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by J00ls
I have never prepaid and never had a problem.
Old Jun 22nd 2021, 9:46 pm
Forum Regular

So why the signs?
Old Jun 23rd 2021, 7:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Midgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond repute

This has been common in Lisbon Area for ages
Its to avoid people filling up and leaving without paying apparently, as I was told by a cashier at a petrol station once
Often after a certain time at night and on the pumps furthest from the shop
Old Jun 23rd 2021, 9:27 am
Happiest in the sun

Score76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond repute

In covid times this facilitates one less contact with a member of staff. I use the prepay pumps at Galp as a matter of course, prepay there doesn't mean you have to know how much fuel you want. You do the card payment at the pump, it's in English, then fill up, it then gives you the option to add your Continente card for the 14c/l discount before printing a receipt.
Old Jun 23rd 2021, 9:44 am
Forum Regular

Thank you Score76 - I will do this in future!