Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Portugal or Spain

Portugal or Spain

Old Nov 25th 2013, 4:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

newintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nice
Default Re: Portugal or Spain

It's almost impossible to actually get a face to face appointment with my GP in the UK unless I want to wait for three weeks
Conversely, when we lived in the UK, we could always get a GP visit on the same day we called. It's a postcode lottery, just like Portugal.
Old Nov 25th 2013, 8:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by newintavira
Has the whole of the East Algarve disappeared since we went on holiday?

My wife is pregnant. After ten phone calls (in fluent Portuguese), and four fruitless visits to Tavira Centro do Saude which each took upwards of 3 hrs, we ended up paying for our first ultrasound privately as it was overdue.

Don't expect too much from Tavira surgery. It's great care once you get seen, but the admin side is a disaster.
I think from one town to the next the health service can go from brilliant to disgraceful.
Old Nov 26th 2013, 10:27 am
Just Joined

Smartcar is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi. Genie B where abouts did you settle in the end. Really wish there was some one that works independently to any estate agents and the like, that you could pay to get you through all...... the legal jargon and paperwork that speaks fluent Portuguese, knowing at the end of it all the T's are crossed and I's dotted and you can sit back knowing it's all sorted and legal. Phew! It seems soo daunting. How long have you lived in portugal ? Knowing what you know now would you still recommend to move there. Thanks for your help. :-)
Old Nov 27th 2013, 9:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Smartcar

We settled just outside Lagos,in a lovely village..our villa has beautiful sea views ,which after living in the depths if the Dutch Forests for 30 yrs was a top priority for us…..
Don't be daunted…The people here are wonderfully friendly,most of them(under 60 yrs) speak excellent English…and there are Organisations that can help you or point you in the right direction…one of which is AFPOP a non profit making group which helps ex-pats ..
Don't be tempted to lump Spain and Portugal together when thinking about property pitfalls and ripoffs etc…Spain's problems are totally to do with that country..none came across the border…I haven't heard of anyone being ripped off here..or getting into a legal tangle…(unless they bought an old ruin owned by several members of a family,but you get that everywhere)
We started by renting a property from an Irish lady …she was a well known property and business owner in the area..so knew everyone…can't recommend that idea enough…find someone who is experienced…and rent
for at least six months….sticking a pin in a map is a bad way to find a home
She in turn passed us on to her excellent Lawyer and estate agent…We used the latter for awhile but eventually came across a wonderful Portuguese lady who was the one to negotiate the tricky purchase of our villa…
What I am saying is..It takes time and patience to find the home that will suit you…
We decided on the Lagos area because we loved the feel and history of the town…Its proximity to the ocean…The excellent health facilities..The fantastic fish market..and of course all the great restaurants which are open summer AND winter(very important)The cultural facilities too played a part…altho its no big deal to travel out of Lagos for a concert or a play…
The village was perfect for our needs too…We can walk our dog down to the beach and the cafes.get a paper and a coffee and walk back(as we used to in NL)The dog can play on the beach in winter and swim in the sea..summer time its in our pool….The village has a medical practice,a dentist,a postoffice,and three good supermarkets….all important when you are retired..thinking of the future….
We have lived here for three yrs now and totally love it…The only slight downside is how quiet it gets (suddenly) in the winter…However we have already noticed a huge change from our first yr…which coincided with the crisis…People have recovered from the scare about the Euro and are staying longer and in larger no's…Our main restaurant that normally closes end of October is still open for instance..
Everyone has to make up their own mind about 'risk' We took the plunge into Ex-Patdom(?) over 30 yrs ago…So we have ironed out many of the problems that naturally come with leaving home…..Its not and never will be the UK…if you are deeply attached to a British way of life it will be a problem..for awhile…as long as you accept your in a foreign country and be open to their ways and not insist on comparing..(and complaining) all the time…Remember why you wanted to come..accept all the wonderful benefits..and forget the rest….go with the flow…. I wish you lots of luck Smartcar
Old Nov 27th 2013, 10:25 pm
Just Joined

Smartcar is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you sooo much GeniB for your brilliant advice. Like you I have lived abroad first as a child in Africa and later in life in Dubai with my family. I think if we could rent first maybe that would help us decide where to live. Like you, I have not a dog, but 4 bichion frisée's that would be the difficult bit. Not many people want to rent when you have 4 dogs,well behaved I might add. Hey oh thank you again. Take care. :-)
Old Nov 28th 2013, 8:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

No problem Smartcar,Glad to help

Don't give up on the renting with dogs..Time are hard,my SIL wouldn't usually rent in that situation ,but did this summer to guests with two Alsatians…He said they were better behaved and left less mess than the tourists!!! Good Luck