Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Portugal mobile and broadband supplier

Portugal mobile and broadband supplier

Old Jan 30th 2016, 8:22 am
Forum Regular

Sailfree is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Portugal mobile and broadband supplier

We will be North of Lisbon based in Nazare. Is there a obvious best choice for a SIM only contract for mobile?

Likewise is there a obvious best choice for Broadband not sure we are going to bother with TV but are UK TVs transferable and work on Portuguese system.

I seem to remember that UK used to use PAL system but probably all superseded by digital TVs - I am just completely out of touch ref TV technology and interchangeability!

Last edited by Sailfree; Jan 30th 2016 at 8:24 am.
Old Jan 30th 2016, 9:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Ukkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to all
Default Re: Portugal mobile and broadband supplier

Your TV will be fine as both use the PAL system. Only the power plug will differ.

We do not make calls in PT so we use skype calling when we phone London or Cape Town. Costs about 1c per minute. Using a SIM is just too expensive but we do have SIM cards only to receive calls.
We also carry a portable WiFi router with us when we go out. It is smaller than a pack of smokes.

We pay €35 pm for unlimited uncapped WiFi from NOS but it should be cheaper now as the contract is nearly 2 years old.
Old Jan 30th 2016, 3:08 pm
Forum Regular

zoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nice

Originally Posted by Ukkram
We pay €35 pm for unlimited uncapped WiFi from NOS but it should be cheaper now as the contract is nearly 2 years old.
How do you get WiFi from NOS? WiFi range is about 60 meters.
Old Jan 30th 2016, 6:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ukkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to all

Originally Posted by zoff
How do you get WiFi from NOS? WiFi range is about 60 meters.
Your router can pick the signal from the towers and transmit it to your devices about your home.

I have 1 mobile router and it transmits to the whole house and perhaps to neighbors too but they do not have the password.

We use it to watch telly and surf the web at the same time and I just slip it into my pocket when I go out and can use it anywhere in the city.
I can even use it to skype my wife to find her in the shopping mall.
Simple as that. Only the person doing the phoning needs to have the WiFi. The person receiving it need not as they have a SIM card.

You can even phone fixed lines anywhere in the world even if they have no WiFi or any internet at all. Cost stays the same. About 1c pm.
You can even use your home laptop to phone cell and fixed line phones anywhere without a SIM card. Skype has a virtual keypad and a dropdown menu of country codes.
Hope this helps.

Last edited by Ukkram; Jan 30th 2016 at 6:16 pm.
Old Jan 30th 2016, 6:25 pm
Forum Regular

zoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nice

From your description it seems like the router has a SIM in it and converts the cell data (I think in UK cell=mobile) to WiFi.

Thanks.
Old Jan 30th 2016, 6:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by zoff
From your description it seems like the router has a SIM in it and converts the cell data (I think in UK cell=mobile) to WiFi.

Thanks.
Correct. There is a SIM card in it that only uses data and not voice calls. Skype converts the data to voice.
Old Jan 31st 2016, 9:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ukkram
Correct. There is a SIM card in it that only uses data and not voice calls. Skype converts the data to voice.
I think that is actually called MiFi and uses the mobile telephone system - either 3G or 4G, although the boundaries between broadband and mobile are getting blurred.
I have a MiFi box with a 3G data SIM from MEO. I occasionally use it in the car.
Wifi is strictly speaking a local area network technology.