Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Portugal, aquiring residency

Portugal, aquiring residency

Old Sep 16th 2021, 4:06 pm
Just Joined

Willsue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Portugal, aquiring residency

Hello I am new to this forum and I have a query that perhaps someone can advise me on.
I am a British citizen and I want to retire to Portugal, as far as I can tell I require proof of health cover to obtain residency and at my advanced age it would be beyond my budget. I would like to use my S1 certificate as proof but I believe that I require the residence permit first, so a catch 22 unless I am understanding things wrongly?
Can someone more knowledgeable than I please enlighten me?
Many thanks
Old Sep 16th 2021, 8:33 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Portugal, aquiring residency

Hi, and welcome to the forum from me

What you need on that front is :

Valid travel insurance, allowing medical coverage, including medical emergencies and repatriation
That's from the information on fixing long term residency on this page, and following the link to "Necessary Documentation". I think it's a 1 year policy you'd need to supply with your initial application.

As soon as you have the residence permit, you can enrol in the public healthcare system.
Old Sep 18th 2021, 1:20 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the info Red Eric
Will
Old Sep 23rd 2021, 12:08 pm
Forum Regular

PJC61 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have just gone through the process and I was only required to have health insurance for 120 days.
Old Sep 23rd 2021, 1:56 pm
Just Joined

That is very interesting, can you mention the company that you went with?
Was that long enough for you to gain your residency?
Many thanks
Old Sep 23rd 2021, 2:30 pm
Forum Regular

PJC61 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Willsue,

We used Vasco who I think are part of Axa. I followed a link from VFS Global and used this company as I knew the cover would be correct for my visa application, it is actually called a certificate for consulate - low cost travel insurance.

When I applied I entered the start date on the day I had my consulate appointment (so I had current, valid insurance) and put the end date for 4 months time plus a week or two for good luck. We had our meeting scheduled just shy of 3 months so had plenty of leeway. The consulate or my Portuguese solicitor never flagged this. At the end of the 120 days, if your granted residency you go in to Portugal's health care system, if your declined you go home!